• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos My new AI AW .308 w. S&B 5-25x56 P4F

Re: My new AI AW .308 w. S&B 5-25x56 P4F

Do you just set it on the floor, sit in you're easy chair and just stare at it?.........grin!!

Nice stick. You are going to love that gun. I love mine. Still have a hard time deciding which one I favor more the AIAW 308, or the AIAWSM 338 LM. Both shoot better than I can.

Thanks guys! PGS, youre actually kind of right, I dont want to "ruin" the moment, by shooting it, getting doubts about precision or anything like that, so I think I'll just buy a glass case, good lighting and put my favorite chair in front of the miracle instead!
wink.gif

DesertHK, I can understand your predicamen, a 338LM is definately something I would like to own one day..!

Nice depth of field
wink.gif

Thanks, its the 45 MOA base made for the AWSM, but AI reccomends it to everyone ho plans to use a S&B 5-25x on their AW's as well!

I am finding it very satisfying to finally have it! Perhaps I should wait a few months with firing it, so I dont ruin the moment?
wink.gif

I'd suggest you keep it wrapped in the softest of kashmir wraps, locked in the safe and only bring it out to polish it on days where there is neither strong sunlight nor threat of rain/snow.
As for the thought of dirtying it by putting rounds down range....don't even think about it!!!

Isn't that what everyone does with these rifles??

;-))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest you keep it wrapped in the softest of kashmir wraps, locked in the safe and only bring it out to polish it on days where there is neither strong sunlight nor threat of rain/snow.
As for the thought of dirtying it by putting rounds down range....don't even think about it!!!

Isn't that what everyone does with these rifles??

;-)) </div></div>

Marvellous idea If I may say so, Sire
wink.gif

English guns have a long tradition of 1. being created to look good 2. come at a hefty price and 3. have nice wood and engraving.

I think AI fulfills 2 of these requirements pretty damn well
wink.gif

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Very nice rig!

Money in the bank! Use it dont abuse it and you will always get your money back out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any disadvantages using a 45MOA base ? Can there be a thing as too much cant ?? </div></div>

May not be able to get a 100 yard zero.

I dont think you should use 45 MOA unless using S&B 5-25, I have plenty left while zeroing on 100 meters, so from my perspective - no disadvantages, but use 28 MOA if you use a scope with less elevation

That is what I was afraid of, not being able to get a 100 yard zero. Can someone help me with the math here so we understand in the future the fundamentals of the scopae base.

With this scope, the S&B 5-25 this is my understanding:

93 MOA, so 46.5 MOA mechanical center. So technically, with a 308 around 40 give or take a few MOA out to 1000 yards. So going straight base I should be able to get there with just rings and the zero cant base and touch something out to 1000 yards.

How does a 20MOA, or that matter in this case a 45 moa base effect this ? Does that leave me with 1.5 MOA for 100 yard zero ?

Don't know about the S&B, but my Nightforce 5.5-22 doesn't have any problem zeroing at 100 yards with a 45 MOA cant (it's for the AIAWSM 338 LM)

Think its time to update this page with some results so far

I've been developing a nice load for long range field shooting, and I've settled on 46,5 gr of Vihtavouri N150 Scenar 155's and CCI BR2 primers (In Norma brass) which gives me an ES of around 0,6 - 10 mps over 5 shot groups, very consistent!

Here's a fairly standard 100 meter 5-shot group, 18,94 mm, slightly above 1/2 MOA;

url]

From 300 meters I average 43-65 mm c-t-c with the Scenar load above, might get some more precision with 1-0,5 grains less, but I intend to keep the speed for those windy 600+ meter targets coming up this fall.

Seems to like Hornady V-max 110's as well, shot ragged 3-shot one hole groups with N133 and around 1000 mps muzzle velocity.

Also shot my first competition this weekend, which was a standard 300 meter prone shooting (bipod + rear bag) against international 300 meter target, and i scored 349/350 points, with 14/25 X's before the final, with only one nine in the last final shot (those damn nerves..
smile.gif
)

But shooter tailing me also shot a nine and ended on 348/350, so it was all good in the end!
wink.gif

url]

Target above shot by a standard prone shooter, only using sling support and shooting jacket with 6,5x55 national rifle while I was on target marking duty in the trench (The national shooters use a Sauer STR 200 National Rifle with peep sight with peep sight, no optics allowed on those!)

Best national shooter was 340/350 points this year, very impressive!

to hell with that....i just got mine a couple months ago and im going to shoot the hell out of it...i didnt pay all that money just to look at it...im also running the s&b 45moa mount...i thought i might have some trouble with zeroing at 100 but the scope had more than enough elevation..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to hell with that....i just got mine a couple months ago and im going to shoot the hell out of it...i didnt pay all that money just to look at it...im also running the s&b 45moa mount...i thought i might have some trouble with zeroing at 100 but the scope had more than enough elevation.. </div></div>

I'm shooting mine, almost 400 rounds over the last two weeks, and I'm enjoying every bit of it!
wink.gif

Rifle now up to 644 in round count, with 139 155 gr Scenars fired this weekend on a long range steel meeting we had, managed to squeeze 17 or 18 of 19 onto a ~ 60 x 60 cm Steel plate from 1005 meters with a huge effort from my spotter since wind was shifting left to right and 3 meters per second (6-7 mph) shifting winds, giving me a lead between 1,5 mils left to 0,5 mils right from shot to shot. Also discovered that .308w does not have a lot of umphff left when you get beyond 1000 meters, although the hits were there and my drop charts seemed to work perfectly!

Man,

Just get out there and shoot the shit out of it. That's what it's <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">for</span></span>.

You just want to look at nice stuff? Go to the Louvre.

It's a great tool. Use it.

I'm really jealous. Beautiful rig.

But just looking at it? That'd be like having a Ferrari, and NOT nailing it away from the lights. And you wouldn't do that, right?

Neil

Neil, no worries - lots of irony in my statements early in this thread, Ive been shooting it on a regular basis since I got it, a bit over 600 rounds since beginning of July so far!
wink.gif