• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new AIAE.....Range Report !

SNAFU308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
The Land Downunder
Well I picked up an AIAE MKII and just thought I would share a few pics etc with everyone. I struggled with which scope I was going to put on it and had initially decided on the Kahles but got a deal too good to pass up on the Schmidt. Went to the local short distance range to sight the rifle in and zero the scope was there all of about 25 mins 15 of which was waiting for a ceasefire to put targets out.

Then went round the corner to the 1000 yard range where they were shooting at 700 yards today and shot there. It went well and with not having had time to work up and test and hand loads I went with some factory reloaded match ammo which isn't bad but isn't great. Rifle was a dream to shoot, the two stage trigger is brilliant and so is the action. Looking forward to getting some loads worked up and really giving it a better run..

Anyway here are a few pics, sorry I didn't take a few more better ones but was a bit pressed for time as I was fitting the shoot in between heading to work.

And here's a couple from I took the other day when waiting for the scope and before being able to shoot it

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good first outing. You'll be happy with your decision to get the Schmidt, especially since you got a good deal. They had a price increase on those this year. Good luck and thanks for the pictures.

Thanks mate,

Yeh was great to finally shoot it and looking forward to working up some better loads for it. The warranty and tunnelling on the S&B as somewhat annoying but as you said the price keeps going up, The glass is brilliant though.

Nice Rifle and nice range.

Cheers. I'm very happy with the rifle. I will have to do a proper range session and test some loads and actually retrieve the targets, I was in such a rush I shot 8-10 rounds to sight in and zero then headed straight off to the 100 yard range I would have needed to wait another 20 mins for the next ceasefire so I didn't bother waiting to get the target.

I had to sell my custom remington 700 to fund part of this rifle and was a bit apprehensive but after picking it up and shooting it all doubt has been removed and i'm happy with the decision.

Congrats on the awesome rifle! I just got a MK3 in December and love it so much more over all my other rifles! Keep us posted on your loads as I'm in the same process! Enjoy!!

Congrats on the rifle and welcome to the AI club. You're going to have a ball with that rifle.
Out of curiosity, what range is that? I shoot at Lower Light S.A. CTV club. (FullBore)

Congrats on the awesome rifle! I just got a MK3 in December and love it so much more over all my other rifles! Keep us posted on your loads as I'm in the same process! Enjoy!!

Thanks man, I built the Remington I had to shoot while I ordered and waited on a MK III then I heard they were being discontinued and waited to see what the replacement was, then I was going to order and AT and wait the 6-12 months but a MK II came up locally ready to go so I jumped on it. I don't regret the decision in the slightest and am very happy with the MK II

Congrats on the rifle and welcome to the AI club. You're going to have a ball with that rifle.
Out of curiosity, what range is that? I shoot at Lower Light S.A. CTV club. (FullBore)

It's one of the two 1000 yard ranges at the Belmont Range complex up here in Brisbane. I was posted to Edinburgh for a little while years ago and still have relatives that live down that way.

Gave the AE a quick facelift today and wanted to give a shout out to Victor Company very easy to deal with and they put out a great product had my order out the door very quickly. I had the black viperskins that came with the rifle but they are the older version with the larger screw hanging out the fore end and the original rears, I much prefer the flush mount screw in the front on the new version. I have both the V2 rears as fitted and the V1 rears if I decide I prefer them instead.

I didn't really have an issue with the standard cheekpiece but ordered the "grippy" version after hearing so many good things and I just didn't know what I was missing it really is a great little upgrade.

My AIAE....Range Report

Ok,

so after being rather impatient and sighting it in quickly going straight to 700 yards I wanted to try and work up some loads. I loaded up some round using Berger 175gr Tactical OTM, Lapua brass, Fed 210M, 2208 (Varget)

I set up and fired 3 factory 155gr match loads that I had used at 700 yards last week, which had a nice little clover leaf.

The next 5 rounds we're just working up from low to check pressure but I was very surprised at the group. There are 5 shots in the group below with a big variance in charge weights. the charge weights were 42.0 - 42.5 - 42.8 - 43.1 - 43.5 as you can see there is a bit of horizontal spread but very little vertical and the group is remarkably consistent given there is a total of 1.5gr variance in charge weights.

I then moved on and tested the other loads as marked below (only did 3 shot groups to try and gauge what would work....but they all kinda worked!!! the worst 3 shot group was .796 All testing was done prone with from a bi-pod with a rear bag

Here is the target in it's entirety...

just over .5 for the hottest and best group there was a bit of wind and I wasn't try to account for it so without the horizontal stringing it would have been an even tighter group. I didn't have a chronograph with me so no idea on velocity but i'm very happy with these initial results. It really just seemed to shoot everything I gave it

I then changed back to some of the factory rounds to do a bit of a shooting comp against a mate (and fellow hide member) with his TRG-22 it was a great bit of fun and was a good challenge with the new rifle. We shot at steel from 200 out to 500 from a range of positions and under various stressors like time constraints etc, including a rather annoying weak side shot at the ram at 500m (i'm VERY right eye dominant). Anyway so far i'm very happy with my new set up and performance thus far.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited: