• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new ELR Rifle 7mm saum

lvgolfer962

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2012
After a few months and lots of money shes putting rounds down range!

Specs 7mm saum

700 long action
Krieger HV 8.75 31"
Ross muzzle brake
McRee chassis
Need a jewel trigger bad but I have to live with the factory one for a while

So far it has 25 rounds through it and its really looking good. The group picture is about 10 rounds in and my second batch of test loads using H1000 and berger 180 vld's.

7mmsaum003.jpg

By lvgolfer962 at 2012-07-18
7mmsaum002.jpg

7mmsaum004a.jpg

amm07mm001.jpg

7mmsaumgroups001.jpg

By lvgolfer962 at 2012-07-20
7mmsaumgroups002.jpg

By lvgolfer962 at 2012-07-20

Re: My new ELR Rifle

Nice setup! A few questions. On your target you say .5 off lands... are you really jumping these half an inch? or is it .005?
What is your COAL with the VLDs? Do you know your velocity from the long tube yet?

Thanks
Yea its supposed to be .005 (good catch)

The coal on these were 3.086

Hopefully this weekend I can borrow my buddies chrono and see how fast they are going

Those bad boys are seated waaaay out! Nice rig - looks like a keeper. Those 7mm ballistics are ridiculous. What velocity are you getting with that long of a tube?

Those are some seeexy lookin long seated bullets. Rifle looks good too, have to chuckle a little at the factory trigger still in there. Looks like she shoots lights out though. Nicely done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those bad boys are seated waaaay out! Nice rig - looks like a keeper. Those 7mm ballistics are ridiculous. What velocity are you getting with that long of a tube? </div></div>

THanks
Hope to find out this weekend, if I can get my friends chrono.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apothus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are some seeexy lookin long seated bullets. Rifle looks good too, have to chuckle a little at the factory trigger still in there. Looks like she shoots lights out though. Nicely done</div></div>

Thanks man

This build put me in the poor house lol. The trigger is adjusted but its still no jewel, once my back account recovers a bit it will get the upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a shooter. Driver is pretty good too.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul </div></div>

Thanks Paul

Just got back from the range

63.3g H1000 is 2975fps

The hottest load Ive done is 64.2g and they were going 3050fps

There's still room for more powder but the 63.3 is lights out, so im going to stick with that for a while and take it easy on the barrel.

Ive shot .308 since i started shooting(10 months ago) and this 7 saum is like cheating lol. The range only goes to 960 but I only had to dial in .2 mils for wind and 5.2 mils up.

It almost got a little boring hitting everything
crazy.gif

Cant wait to take it out to 2000+ and she what shes really made of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just shy of 3000fps with 180gr 7mm bullets!? Ouch! What a hammer.</div></div>

No questionable hits with this rifle, the bullets implodes when it hits the steel and makes a hell of Ding/thud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamplife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice! What freebore was used to get a 3.086 COAL @ .005 off the lands?</div></div>

The reamer was a Standard PTG piloted 7saum reamer, and there's two thousands head space.

Not sure if that answers anything but that's what I know

My smith and I just got a 7SAUM reamer last week from PTG. It has a .3185" neck and .180" freebore. Obviously not the exact same reamer used in this build so could be different. But thought I would share.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What mags are you using?</div></div>

338 Lapua mags. They dont have the ribs like the 300wm mags have and I was told you have to remove the back rib to get the saum to fit. No feeding issues so far

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My smith and I just got a 7SAUM reamer last week from PTG. It has a .3185" neck and .180" freebore. Obviously not the exact same reamer used in this build so could be different. But thought I would share. </div></div>

That .180 sounds familiar. Im pretty sure its the same on mine but I would have to verify that with my people.

Congrats on a great build!!! you should have no issues with feeding out of the 338 mags with a COAL of over 3 inches..

Were you in alot of pressure at 3050?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on a great build!!! you should have no issues with feeding out of the 338 mags with a COAL of over 3 inches..

Were you in alot of pressure at 3050? </div></div>

Thanks Brother

Primers still had a nice round edge and haven't run into a sticky bolt.

I really want to push'em harder(65g or so and see 3100fps) but Im not quite ready for a re-chamber just yet lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvgolfer962</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on a great build!!! you should have no issues with feeding out of the 338 mags with a COAL of over 3 inches..

Were you in alot of pressure at 3050? </div></div>

Thanks Brother

I really want to push'em harder(65g or so and see 3100fps) but Im not quite ready for a re-chamber just yet lol </div></div>

Damn 180s at 3100!!! haha now that is sick!

Have you tried H4831sc yet? not sure you need to even bother with the results you're getting, but I found it to be more accurate at the higher velocities then the H1000 in my gun. And I also got the speeds using less powder.

For me 60 grains of H4831sc gets me 3012FPS with the 180 hybrids...but I have nice smiley faces and flat ass primers haha. I am also running a 26 inch barrel.

Good luck with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Damn 180s at 3100!!! haha now that is sick!

Have you tried H4831sc yet? not sure you need to even bother with the results you're getting, but I found it to be more accurate at the higher velocities then the H1000 in my gun. And I also got the speeds using less powder.

For me 60 grains of H4831sc gets me 3012FPS with the 180 hybrids...but I have nice smiley faces and flat ass primers haha. I am also running a 26 inch barrel.

Good luck with it.

</div></div>

H1000 is all i have at this point, but I know a few guys running the H8431sc with great results.

Id like to try retumbo to see if the 40-100fps faster claim is true

Nice build, I definately see a place for a 7mm in my future!

Check out the 7mm page on 6mmbr. There are a lot of people experimenting there with Reloader 17. This should give you around 100fps extra over H8431SC but without the pressure signs

Just got back from some 1800yd desert shooting and this saum is a beast. 16 to 16.2 mils up and .2 to .7 mils of windage ( both ways the winds were flip flopping) Beat the crap out of my 24"x24" steel.

Tried out some nosler brass and got some swipe on the heads with same load I was using in the Rem brass so I will have to back them down a tad, but all in all a great day.

Jewell trigger has been put at number one priority, I know I missed at least a half dozen shots because of that 8 pound trigger lol

Very awesome! Congrats on building such a fantastic shooter. I plan to start a 7mm SAUM build this year as well, but I hope to stay out of the poor house so it won't be as nice as this. :)