• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new/first precision rifle @ the range

wlwaldock

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Columbus
Well gents after lurking for a few weeks and getting my gear together I finally got a chance to make it out to the range. I have to thank a couple of people first:

1. Mike a CSGunworks who hooked me up with the USO SN3 5-25x 58mm and could not have done a better job or tried to help me any more. Great guy, great company, great service I highly recommend them for whatever it's worth.

2. Snipers Hide's very own member Fighthard who sold me this beauty and was a great guy to deal with, shipped it very promptly and everything was just as described. The rifle is a AI AW .308 btw

I have to say this rifle really astounded me. I have never even shot at 100 yards before and right off the bat before I even zeroed the thing in 3" low and about 1" from the center of target. This was partly due to winds that were probably 20ish mph directly from the side. I really had a blast just getting outside (it was 60 in ohio today) and out of the concrete jungle of the city and appreciate nature. To feel that wind blowing across miles of open fields and have that warm just felt really refreshing. Ironically I love the quietness of the range too, obviously their are gun shots, but not all that other ambient noise. I felt like I had some solitude you know?

Anyways thanks to everyone on here who helped me in a indirect way by one of their posts or whatnot.

here are some pics, because whats a thread without pics right?

P.S.

My Name is Bill, I'm 22 and from Columbus ohio.

2572_517311975640_14901775_31231979_4081189_n.jpg

2572_517312000590_14901775_31231980_5861638_n.jpg

Re: My new/first precision rifle @ the range

Good taste in rifle Wlwaldock. You will love that AIAW. A word of caution, the AI addiction can be difficult to treat and expensive to maintain. Are you going handload ? If so, you will see an improvement in the accuracy.

JamesZ it is a .308

DesertHK---I will be hand loading but for the time being I had those Winchesters laying around and I figured I could use the brass anyways

I go have brass and bullets I just need some powder any recommendations? I have Nosler Brass and Sierra 175gr match king

Damn. First rifle... and never shot at 100yds before and you chose THAT gun with THAT scope.

Someone has been paying attention in class. hehehe
wink.gif

Damn first rifle and you start off with that!!!! That is a hell of a nice rifle Sir, I hate you because I dont have one!! I do have a a AWSM 338 though. I will be ordering one like yours tomorrow.

Once again Sweet rifle and Optics!!

I use 45.5grs of hogdon varget with a berger 175 vld and it does great.

Looks outstanding and for your first setup it even makes me jealous.

Thanks for the order and one is glad to be of services.

Mike

great rifle to begin with.enjoy shooting it.congrats.

Bill, Damn fine rig you have there especially for your first one. (Go big or Go home right.
smile.gif
. I am from Columbus myself and was thinking about heading out to Big Darby (I recognize the range in your pics) this weekend. Also if your interested, I hit up Thunder Valley at least once a month and we can shoot out to over 1 mile there. Let me know anytime you want to shoot.

For powder, Try and get your hands on some Varget.. Its tough pickings right now but you can find it if you look. Hard as hell to find it in columbus though. For bullets, give all of the following a shot and see which ones your rifle likes best.
Lapua 155 Scenar, Hornady 168 Amax, 175 Sierra Match King. My goal is to do some load development at Big Darby this weekend. Currently Im shooting 44.5 Varget with the 168 Amax but I want to push all 3 bullets up to around the 2900fps mark.

I also have a crono and since your in columbus, if you want to hit the range together some time, your more then welcome to use it to chart the velocities of your handloads.

What twist does your barrel have, 10 Twist?

Oh yeah.. Post some pics of your groups.

Welcome to the addiction - PM Sent.

I think he did post a picture of his groups but it's not working.

Great set up man, congrats.

Nice stick there! He even did the post right by including pics. Welcome to the hide, and I need a bib because I am drooling big time.

Great setup! I guess there's no such thing as overboard for your first time in this kind of sport lol

Another Ohio boy here...who can get stuff at wholesale. At the moment I live in Delaware just up the road from you guys but in two weeks I'm moving out to the country outside of Marengo, pop. 297. It's still just up the road from Columbus. I'd love to hook up and shoot sometime.

Mac,, where the hell you been.
smile.gif
Potentially thinking of hitting up Big Darby on Sunday depending on the wind. Shoot me a pm if your interested. It will probably be one of those last minute decisions though. Wake up, Feel wind, Make decision. I want to do some load development which is why I dont want it too windy. And if my crono blows over and breaks, I will probably end up shooting the damn thing.

wow nice rig!

seeing alot of ohio guys on this forum (as i am an ohio shooter myself, altough im more up north) I myself am getting into longer range shooting, gradually moving out 100 yards at a time!

Looks exactly like the stick a friend of mine just got HateCA build for him...
smile.gif

Beautiful rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another Ohio boy here...who can get stuff at wholesale. At the moment I live in Delaware just up the road from you guys but in two weeks I'm moving out to the country outside of Marengo, pop. 297. It's still just up the road from Columbus. I'd love to hook up and shoot sometime. </div></div>

I drove through there today. My dad lives in Sandusky so I am always back and forth I always stop at the sunoco station off 71. I really look forward to hooking up with some you guys and going shooting!