• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new gun is done. 338 Rogue pics

lovdasnow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2006
I think this will play well with my vectroix:) just got it back last week, and had to share.
Well, she's done, for the most part. painter got confused and painted the stock wrong, but i'll get that sent off to get fixed soon.

It's a 338-378 improved called a 338 Rogue. So far I've shot about 80 rounds through it to fireform brass, but have had pretty good results in the accuracy dept with very little load development. shooting around 2900-2950 with 300gr bergers(lighter load so i can shoot the bergers), over 869 and retumbo. starting to lean toward retumbo, but won't know till i get more serious with load work up.

can't wait to get the brass all formed up, and then start working up a load.

i have shot it at 400, 600, 800, 1000 on paper, and have been shooting around 6-8"(only 3 shot groups though) at 1000. i'm hoping that will shrink 2-3" when i get done with load workup. (goal is to get it shooting 1/2 moa consistently when done)

my gunsmith is Shawn Thomason from Idaho. this is 3rd custom from him, and have 2 more there right now, and have been very impressed with final results.

specs are:
TAC 338 stiller action and 20moa scope base
hart barrel 1-10” 28” #7 contour, spiral flute 1.300” at action, then follows
a #7 douglas contour to .875 at muzzle
nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 high rev turret, NPR2, zero stop
Muzzle brake from nate dagley
jewell trigger
Weatherby mag box, spring and follower
Rem LA bottom metal
Manners MCS-T3
Nightforce Scope rings
ceramic coat
US optics scope level
IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Re: My new gun is done. 338 Rogue pics

Very nice, I like the stock paint. How much more case capacity does the improved version have? What are you thinking you will get for top end speed with the 300's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mcgruber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's pretty sick! </div></div>

X2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pd721el</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice, I like the stock paint. How much more case capacity does the improved version have? What are you thinking you will get for top end speed with the 300's? </div></div>

just a couple % more capcity, but i hate the weatherby shoulder and i hate to admit it, but that was the main reason to change chambering. i already had a ton of the weatherby brass so i wanted to use it up.

we've loaded it to around 3050 with the 300's, but until berger gets the issues worked out with them i'm going to keep them at 2900-2950(probably closer to 2900)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That spiral fluting looks amazing </div></div>

thanks guys. i wasn't sure about it when i ordered it. but i like it a lot now.

heading out to shoot right now. going to form some more brass and shoot a few rounds of formed brass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7AJms5XVQ

my buddy does the filming/editing thing, and he sent me this last night.

here is the link to the first couple shots taken at 1220 with non fireformed brass yesterday. i'm still in load development stage, but it's already showing a lot of potential.

video quality is tough. but there is a v shaped rock, with a little chunk of snow on it that i was aiming at.

i have a NP-R1 reticle on my nightforce, and at 1220yds the spot was just taller then the thinckness of my reticle, and about 1/2moa wide. so that puts it at about 3" tall and 6" wide.

Sproing!!!

That is sweet looking rig.
cool.gif

I´d sell my mom for that rifle... ok thats just kidding but my girlfriend would sure be byebye... hope she doesn´t read this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I´d sell my mom for that rifle... ok thats just kidding but my girlfriend would sure be byebye... hope she doesn´t read this. </div></div>

lol, haha. i'll keep that in mind if i ever need a date;)

Lovdasnow,
Did you shoot this rifle in a 1K shoot in Missoula Montana earlier this year, I am sure I saw that rifle and visited with you as you cleaned it and was putting it up, you had to head back home and wasn't able to shoot on Sunday.
Wayne.

That is a sweet rig! Have you tried any of the Generation II Bergers? Supposedly they are holding up to much higher velocities. A couple of smiths over on longrangehunting.com have been testing them with CheyTac based .338s and al reports are good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bozo699</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lovdasnow,
Did you shoot this rifle in a 1K shoot in Missoula Montana earlier this year, I am sure I saw that rifle and visited with you as you cleaned it and was putting it up, you had to head back home and wasn't able to shoot on Sunday.
Wayne. </div></div>

ya, that was me. i did shoot on sunday though? it was a fun time, and glad to win some money at my first shoot:) think i got a little lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sambo3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a sweet rig! Have you tried any of the Generation II Bergers? Supposedly they are holding up to much higher velocities. A couple of smiths over on longrangehunting.com have been testing them with CheyTac based .338s and al reports are good. </div></div>

ya, i've been shooting them, but haven't had a lot of time since i received the 2nd gen to do a lot of testing. this winter when work slows down, i'll be working with them more. i'm not worried about high velocities with the new bergers at all though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice rig. curious how much it weighs and how's the recoil? </div></div>

weight as just over 15lbs, and recoil is not bad at all. i can shoot 50 rnds in a row with no problem. i don't know what to compare it to though, sorry.

Not much advantage to your "improvement" that I can see. I've seen an AI'd lapua magnum, but why stay with the Weatherby rimmed case and not get a 30 or 40 deg shoulder? Think the double radius shoulder is better than the 20deg or so you wound up with.

Very handsome rifle, but hard to see any reason for that wildcat chambering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not much advantage to your "improvement" that I can see. I've seen an AI'd lapua magnum, but why stay with the Weatherby rimmed case and not get a 30 or 40 deg shoulder? Think the double radius shoulder is better than the 20deg or so you wound up with.

Very handsome rifle, but hard to see any reason for that wildcat chambering. </div></div>

I do agree with you. If i had it to do over again I would have gone with the AI's lapua.

I had over 400 pieces of weatherby brass that I got for free, and my smith had that reamer, so it wasn't a difficult process. Just wanted to try something different, and I do like it, but like you said it's not a huge improvement.