• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new home range

Rowdy One

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2022
Michigan
Well after buying my first load of railroad ties 6 years ago and having a life happens moment I got around to finishing the new range. I can engage targets from multiple angles of the property with the rifle, mostly .22LR, but can handle any rifle with the 1/2” AR500 steel silhouettes and gongs. The plate rack and decision tree are also AR500. Even both KYLs are AR500, the smallest only for air-rifle or Rimfire. Max Distance ~125yds.

Picked up the decision tree when my brother and I were at one of the Knob Creek Subgun matches. The plate rack came from https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/diy-ar500-plate-rack/ as a kit and a buddy of mine welded it up for me. All the other steel targets came from Shootingtargets.com. They are local to me and after I place an order I have it the next day.

The backstop is backfilled with sand that tapers back from the wall. I put limestone down to keep from tracking all the sand that was the base. A buddy of mine has a sod farm and is going to drop off a skid of sod to “dress up” around the limestone and around the edges of the backstop to help with erosion.

Attachments

• 72928B19-BB72-442F-915D-F4264C02F58A.jpeg
    72928B19-BB72-442F-915D-F4264C02F58A.jpeg
    949.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 1FB119DD-71F4-4F3B-8778-F6C6B547C203.jpeg
    1FB119DD-71F4-4F3B-8778-F6C6B547C203.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
Well after buying my first load of railroad ties 6 years ago and having a life happens moment I got around to finishing the new range. I can engage targets from multiple angles of the property with the rifle, mostly .22LR, but can handle any rifle with the 1/2” AR500 steel silhouettes and gongs. The plate rack and decision tree are also AR500. Even both KYLs are AR500, the smallest only for air-rifle or Rimfire. Max Distance ~125yds.

Picked up the decision tree when my brother and I were at one of the Knob Creek Subgun matches. The plate rack came from https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/diy-ar500-plate-rack/ as a kit and a buddy of mine welded it up for me. All the other steel targets came from Shootingtargets.com. They are local to me and after I place an order I have it the next day.

The backstop is backfilled with sand that tapers back from the wall. I put limestone down to keep from tracking all the sand that was the base. A buddy of mine has a sod farm and is going to drop off a skid of sod to “dress up” around the limestone and around the edges of the backstop to help with erosion.
awesome

Reactions: Rowdy One
Nice, really nice, but I have to admit, I am a blond. When I read the title of this post, I wondered why someone was going to be talking about his new Kitchen Stove! My new range. Get it?

Do like your range. Be cookin up some great times there, for all of us.

Very cool! I always wanted to do that here, and I had 300 yds, but the uncle in law next door sold that property. Now there is a neighborhood there, and we’ve been annexed into the city, which sucks. Now there is no shooting or hunting, but the neighbors swear that they occasionally hear a strange sound, like a shot, but it’s not, and one of the bigger bucks in the herd seem to disappear, but I don’t know anything about that.

Having been down that road you are going to be shocked at the damage the wood takes from just splatter. Mine started out like yours but ended up with the wall being filled on both sides by dirt. Mine was made from RR ties, and it looked very nice. Then the wood started to go on the edges. Mine was more of a U looks like then yours, shooting into the open end of the U. It has been in place for roughly 10 years and wind and rain have taken a toll on the dirt in front, so I stacked up a bunch of old tires in front of what was left of the dirt and piled dirt onto those, now the dirt stays put. It is about a once a year thing to do a little bit of work on it with a tractor.

Best photo of mine about 3/4 done.
1664990098960.png

The "wall" was roughly 10-12 feet tall, little chance of something leaving. And if it did it would fly through one barn, my shop, my house, then if still going it was going to travel roughly 1/2 mile to the next human.

The old tractor tire I hung a plate in, and it really shredded it in short order with the splatter from just hand guns.

Your area looks nice.

Make that has to pass through three barns now that I look at the photo again.

I had a few country acres awhile back. Never thought to build a specific shooting area. I tended to just place up a target rack, walk out my range, and just hit the GO lever.
The funny part is....At some point I ended up hammering thru a specific tree that was always behind the target rack. I never thought I'd cut down a tree with 30-06. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
This is backfilled and unless you’re just shooting into the wood all the time it should outlast my lifetime. Occasional splatter or missing one of the steel targets shouldn’t take much of a toll. The middle of the backstop is subterranean by about 3 foot then backfilled the rest of the way. Shooting with a handgun you’re at ground level, rifle you’re actually shooting down at it as the grade rises in front of the range.

Ive had people ask why I made it so “nice”. It’s literally in my backyard and didn’t want an eyesore. I have 4 acres here and mow almost 3 acres. Tried to make it look like it fit in.

Reactions: AmmoFort
Yours is much nicer then mine, the hardest upkeep on mine is a loosing battle against weeds. I just ended up letting them go in some places.

I built mine in a very "swampy" area, property east of mine has a good sized pond, and the runoff from my and the person to the west of me ends up in that pond. But the area is still pretty flat, not uncommon to see crawdads in the middle of my field.

So I really could do nothing with where mine is, so that is where the range went, it is a wheeled trip of some kind to get down there, and in the wet season you need to take a "long way" just to keep getting stuck. You can't walk to the targets from the shooting area if you are shooting long guns, there is basically a river there when it is wet out.

Yours is much nicer then mine, the hardest upkeep on mine is a loosing battle against weeds. I just ended up letting them go in some places.

I built mine in a very "swampy" area, property east of mine has a good sized pond, and the runoff from my and the person to the west of me ends up in that pond. But the area is still pretty flat, not uncommon to see crawdads in the middle of my field.

So I really could do nothing with where mine is, so that is where the range went, it is a wheeled trip of some kind to get down there, and in the wet season you need to take a "long way" just to keep getting stuck. You can't walk to the targets from the shooting area if you are shooting long guns, there is basically a river there when it is wet out.
I’ve got about 125yds max on this but I can also shoot from many different angles within the property. For handguns this is incredible with lots of choices to shoot. Rifle, there are tons of silhouettes to shoot and for the precision folks, KYLs.

For handguns this is incredible with lots of choices to shoot.

That depends on what you plan on doing. If you want to stand in one spot and blast away, it's OK.

If you want to do work that involves movement, needs to be quite a bit different.

That depends on what you plan on doing. If you want to stand in one spot and blast away, it's OK.

If you want to do work that involves movement, needs to be quite a bit different.
...and much taller

the spot is going to look like a manicured garden lol

id take a second look at the height, especially for the decision tree

unless its the angle of picture it looks like there is about 1 RRT above the highest target...not much room for error on a higher speed/dynamic target

I’ve got about 125yds max on this but I can also shoot from many different angles within the property. For handguns this is incredible with lots of choices to shoot. Rifle, there are tons of silhouettes to shoot and for the precision folks, KYLs.

Mine is right at 100 yards, and that is really a nature imposed limit. If I wanted to go to battle with poison ivy and black locust trees it could go farther, I am just not that motivated to start itching and getting poked in unfriendly ways.