• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new Howa/Roedale!!

palle2612

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
Denmark. Thats Europe
Thought I'd share my new and first rifle with you...

I just got my new stick finished..
It's a Howa 1500 .308 with the 24" heavy barrel with a Falcon Optics 5.5-25x50 EMD, Burris XTR low rings, and a Bell and Carlsson Medalist stock...
It has a pair Shooters Ridge Rockmount 'S' Pivotting Bipod (More on that later)..
I got the Barreled action from Pete at Roedale, actually he had to get the whole rifle from Howa as Barreled actions are out of stock.
I took the time to drive the 300 miles from my home to Pete's to make the pick up by myself, haven't had one regreat doing that, Pete has a lot of work on his hands, but he still took the time for me doing my Howa at my presens.. He' a really nice guy. It was great seeing him work, it really showed my that he is good at what he makes, the was much confidence in the way he prep'ed mine, I got a C21 Muzzelbreak a 20 MOA aluminum picatinny rail and a tactical bolt knob, he also tuned the trigger (640g) Never tried one this light before, but it feels great. Thanks Pete...

The thing with the bipod, how do you guys manage to keep the bipod from twisting on the stock.. Because of the flat forestock on the B&C I cant tighten the screw enough to make it stay, every now an then I have to align it and tighten it once more, any tips...
confused.gif

I havent shoot it yet, but one of these days I will, and I'll be back with a update on how it shoots.

Sorry, crappy pics, from my phone.
DSC01133.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

Re: My new Howa/Roedale!!

I bet your exited to shoot the new toy.

That muzzle brake is so big that the gun is going to fly forward and end up down range somewhere though,LOL.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing with the bipod, how do you guys manage to keep the bipod from twisting on the stock.. Because of the flat forestock on the B&C I cant tighten the screw enough to make it stay, every now an then I have to align it and tighten it once more, any tips...
confused.gif
</div></div>

Order a Harris #9 Bipod adapter. It's made specifically for this type of flat bottomed stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the EGW one peice base? </div></div>

No. It's A Roedale 20 MOA aluminum rail.. Rail, Muzzelbreak and bolt knob is from Pete at Roedale..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a thin rubber pad under the bipod and blue loctite on the screw. </div></div>

Tried it, seems to be working!! Haven't loctite it yet try seeing how it goes. Thanks..

Looks like some nice work. I bet that's a real shooter. I like my Howa, solid rifles that I bet some smart smithing makes really good.

First day on the range...

After some adjusting we ended up with this grouping.

3 shots. 100 meter. Lapua Scenar 123grain FMJ.
Picture is correct.. Gerber knife using metic scale.
DSC01158.jpg

Those are shot 13-15 though the barrel with no break in...

This was not the last group, but my camera went dead so I wasen't able do take pic. of last group (was dead on)
I'm working my way up on bullet weight to see whats best, thats why I used only 123grain on first run.

Palle,

Nice group! Nice stick! Enjoy.
Since you mention in your first post that it is in .308 are you using Lapua's number LU4PL7003 for tips?
What twist rate is in your barrel?

Actually I'm using factory load number 4317527!! But I cant find it on Lapua's web page. So I'm really not sure what they are.. Just bought a shitload of them, cheap..

It's a 1:12 twist, so of course I'll try 155 and 167 grains as soon I run out of the others.. 123 grain can't take me much beyond 400-500 meters anyhow, they drop like a rock at that distance acording to Lapua QuickTarget Unlimited Balistics program..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I'd share my new and first rifle with you...</div></div>

Looks really great, congrats! That is one mutha of a brake! Heavy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing with the bipod, how do you guys manage to keep the bipod from twisting on the stock.. Because of the flat forestock on the B&C I cant tighten the screw enough to make it stay, every now an then I have to align it and tighten it once more, any tips...
confused.gif

</div></div>

Take it back to Pete and ask him to put a pic rail on the fore-end so you can mount an Atlas?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I'm using factory load number 4317527!! But I cant find it on Lapua's web page. So I'm really not sure what they are.. Just bought a shitload of them, cheap..

It's a 1:12 twist, so of course I'll try 155 and 167 grains as soon I run out of the others.. 123 grain can't take me much beyond 400-500 meters anyhow, they drop like a rock at that distance acording to Lapua QuickTarget Unlimited Balistics program.. </div></div>

Palle,

I found that load on Grafs website, i think they aare probably one of the largest lapua importers here.
http://www.grafs.com

Try some of the factory 170gr FMJ lockbase from lapua (item number LU4317596). They shoot well from my 24" barrel AWP.
I haven't loaded any of them yet but the factory lists them as being 860 M/S.
My 175gr SMK load averages 824 M/S on ten rounds at 29.4 degrees celsius.

Enjoy your new stick.

Thanks, but feel free to look at my location on the left.. Europe... think I will go with some more (local) dealers
wink.gif

I heard many have had real good results with 155 over 167gr because of the 155 is supersonic to a little longer down range...

29.4 degrees celsius.. Damn, we got a temperature like that 2 or 3 times a year, in the good summers.. 25 to 26 is good summer here...
cool.gif

Palle2612,

I knew where you were located i just showed you for reference where the largest US supplier was since they list almost all of Lapua's stuff. There are actually other suppliers here that sell supplies for less money then they do.

It did get a little bit warm this year but not like other years. Most of the TV stations said this was one of the cooler summers here. look at the temperatures down in the southern US they are much warmer than here. I used to visit Texas alot for work & on some trips it would be 38 degrees in the shade.

Let me know how the 155's & 167's do for you. Look at the ballistic coefficient of each, sometimes a higher BC with slower initial speed will have less drop at longer ranges.

Just got myself a Eagle stock pack.. Makes a world of diff. in my eye..
I tried one from Blackhawk.. was not very happy with it.
Now the height is perfect for me, just have to tilt my head a little more.
DSC01151.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

I also like the Eagle packs. I got one many years ago for my SSG & it fit me perfectly. I like the 3 velcro straps to tighten it down + the rear adjustment to get it into the right spot on the stock. I haven't tried the Blackhawk so i can't comment on them.
Looking better everyday!

Re: My new Howa/Roedale!! Now mine is bigger!!!

just got a couple of FREE sunshades from Falcon Optics.. Now it's almost 21.5 inches..
The sun is very low here in Denmark, hope this will help out!!
Also just got myself a T.I.S sling, mann they need adjusting...
Nice price, special prize for me. about 200 US dollars with customs and delivery. Wauu.
crazy.gif

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01215.jpg

Nice Stick. How is the sun lower in Denmark than other places....

In your terms: Denmark is as far north, as 800 miles south of Tasmania..
Our days are short in the winter, but we have daylight from 04:00am ontil 10:30pm at summertime.!!

That's what I figured you meant. I still don't understand what relevance that has to the Sunshade? Anyway enjoy the rifle, Pete can put them together well!

Yes he does, but regarding the shades, when I'm shooting late afternoon, the sun was reflecting in the glass because it could reach the glass, now, hopefully it can't...

Now I finally got my new 40 MOA bases from Tac-ops mounted, I went from 10,5 mRad with my 20 moa base, to 14,5 mRad with this setup.. Now I can reach 1100 meters with 155 gr Lapua scenars.. (lets now all pray that I can ring the bell at that distance)
HPIM3845.jpg

HPIM3846.jpg

One for U then...
DSC01173.jpg

I don't use the screw for the mirage band anymore but have given it some thougt as I almost coulden't see thru the scope the other day on the range.. No wind what so ever really made it a living hell, after 50 rounds I decided to stop as the heat made precise shooting very hard!!!