• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My new lathe and jigs

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
I've been busy with work work lately and have been neglecting my shooting side for a while. Here's an update:

Got a new lathe, all my very own! Enco Turn Pro 14x40. Had some problems with the stands but I think I have them worked out for now. They should hold until I get around to building a custom stand for it.

TurnProLathe.JPG

Got to work on making a rear spider for it. I may wind up drilling and tapping the end of the spindle but for now this will work. Its a tight fit and with 8 x set screws its not going anywhere. Used 3/8 x 24 bolts on the end. These are just temp bolts to make sure the threads are straight and clean. I have some hex screws to go in it now.

P1060082.JPG

P1060086.JPG

Next an action truing jig for standard actions. I have enough material to make one for the ones with integral lugs or flat bottoms. Just haven't done that yet. Still have to cut the slits in the bushing below.
P1060093.JPG

P1060094.JPG

Here's a rare shot where I remembered to grab the camera during the process. This turning down the aluminum tube that would make the action busing. I didn't take into account the tubes being out of round when I ordered them so once I trued them up on the lathe they are not the perfect fit I would have liked. There is a little more gap between the action jig and the action busing. Still not bad, like .075? but I was trying to keep it less than 40thous. You can see that to the left of the tool the first pass didn't clean it up all the way around. These were light passes, I was trying to take off as little as possible.

P1060090.JPG

I borrowed the action jig design from a few people around here like William Roscoe and 300Sniper's posts. I got a lot of help from these guys as well as others around here. Mr. Roscoe even helped with tool selection. You guys rock! Thanks a million!

In the last few weeks building these little jigs I've learned that no matter how shiny and cool freshly machined aluminum looks it will look like crap by the end of the day. Still works and gets the job done but . . . crap. Need more practice with steel.

And that I need my own indexing rotary table for my mill/cnc. Getting these holes lined up with any sort of accuracy sucked!

Mike

Re: My new lathe and jigs

Looks good, congrats. Don't worry about re-working the spider, it's GTG as is.

Life as you once knew it is over
wink.gif
Now, you'll find your self needing a "project" from time to time. One day you'll wake up and realize you need one more scope and then, a larger safe, and then...............

Thanks.

I know what you mean already. I've outgrown my safe and moved to a backup one for barrels/stocks/ etc. That one is now full. Finally upgraded to a NF and not looking back. I'm now working on the "and then . . . "

I'll post back here when I get some more tools. Thanks for all your help.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good, congrats. Don't worry about re-working the spider, it's GTG as is.

Life as you once knew it is over
wink.gif
Now, you'll find your self needing a "project" from time to time. One day you'll wake up and realize you need one more scope and then, a larger safe, and then...............</div></div>

Well, first I logically detached the SAN storage from our original EMR deployment and proceeded to rebuild the server with Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter so it could be part of a new virtual server cloud. Argued with the "tech engineer" on another system that they didn't know what VOIP was, even though they were hell bent on not supporting a VOIP faxing solution. Then I built a virtual server for a new system that will monitor the hand washing habits of nurses as they enter and leave a patient's room (apparently that's a huge issue in the world). And lastly, got to deal with some major personnel issues.

Currently looking up info on action mandrels and debating on if I should try to make my own, buy one from GreTan, or see if I can get PTG or some other tool maker to make one for me.

All in all, a good day.

Also, noticed you put you are in Ellenton. I grew up in Clair-Mel and my aunt is actually here now visiting from Tampa. I used to head your way every once in a while for family and also to pick up sharks teeth at Apollo Beach.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We want day by day updates!!!!!!!!!! LOL, just kidding. Do keep us posted as we are here to help you out. </div></div>

http://www.gretanrifles.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got a link to the gretan stuff? I have never heard of them.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently looking up info on action mandrels and debating on if I should try to make my own, buy one from GreTan, or see if I can get PTG or some other tool maker to make one for me.</div></div>

PTG makes the Gre-tan mandrels and sells them directly.

That's good to hear that PTG makes the mandrels. I tried contacting them through their website form but no reply in two days now. I guess I'll try calling next.

I really like the lathe so far. The stand, not so much but that's not a big deal. The main factor that made me get the Turn Pro vs the other Asian lathes was the sound. I found a single video on YouTube that had the same lathe (MSC version) running. It was easily half as loud as the others. I figured that meant better gears, smoother motor, better bearings, etc. It runs silent compared to the old Regal I had used before. Its taking a little practice and a lot of PVC and aluminum to get used to the control locations and functions.

It does have small leak on the head stock coming from behind the gear selector panel. I haven't felt like taking the handles off and digging into it yet but in a few more practice sessions it will be time to swap out the first batch of oil and I'll get wrenching on it. So far I've rebuilt the cross slide, both chucks, compound, and tail stock. All of those had dirt and in need of cleaning. Once cleaned and lubed, they run smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main factor that made me get the Turn Pro vs the other Asian lathes was the sound.</div></div>

My Turn Pro is much quiter than I expected. Looks like your well on your way, congrats.