• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My New Lathe Arrived

x ring accuracy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Parrish, Fl.
www.xringaccuracy.com
Update:
My new lathe showed up yesterday. This is not my first gunsmithing lathe and won't be my last. Posting this so some people can get an idea of what to expect. A few points I need to make for anyone interested. The 40" bed is what the doctor orderded. The fit of the accessories seems good. The crossslide has what I call "wipers" that push the crud off of the ways before it hits the gibs, nice touch. The foot brake is a nice touch as well as the threaded end of the headstock to make a cathead for. I know Grizzly isn't the best but from what I can see so far, not a bad deal considering the accessories. It is a 0554Z and would reccomend it for an entry level lathe. The Z suffix means it has additional fittings over and above standard. I had a few snags with the 4
jawchuck, sme of the D1-4 lugs were bad. I had 6 to pick from and was able to make a complete set. Life went on.
The headstock was out of oil, a no brainer but worth noting. The bearing adjustment was spot on so no adjustment needed there. The shifting of this machine was a little weird but I attribute this to learning it, not a criticism. The tools sent with machine are....junk, wrenches, screwdrivers, toss them. The cast iron base is rough but has the proper slopes, holes, spigots where they should be, so its OK. The shift knobs have over spray from the painting which will go away in time, just annoying. It has typical handles of chinese origin, all need to be be cinched down to not be a pain. I leveled the beds all four ways and ran a test cut. In the 36" between the 4jaw chuck and the tailstock it was .002 out, Not perfect but I think I can tweak that a little. The 5K delivered to my door with the goodies is I think a fair price for what you get. You want a SB?, no comparison, but for an average schmuck and upcoming machinist, not a bad deal. Hope this helps anyone looking. As an added note, Grizzly makes a large "gunsmith" lathe, I think this is a better deal for $2300 less. Just my .02

Re: My New Lathe Arrived

I was considering the Grizzly larger gunsmith lathe for a while. I ended up getting a Clausing Colchester 2500 13x40. Its a great lathe, but at $5000 it only came with a 4 jaw and tailstock. No coolant system, tool holder system, and needed a good once over. Now after many hours of tearing things apart and rebuilding, I think I have a great lathe with the features I really wanted.

Maybe I will get an extra Grizzly and leave it set up for a specific operation. I should probably take it one day at a time though.....lol

Good buy!

I got a Precision Matthews 12x36 lathe this year with ~80% parts interchangeability with Grizzly and Jet.

The D1-4 lugs on the 4 jaw were problematic, and took some work with the die grinder.

I got an old American made D1-4 face plate from ebay to modify for a right side spider.

The American made D1-4 lugs on the faceplate looked like jewelry next to the Chinese parts.

Still, the pragmatic thing to do is buy a Chinese lathe, if gunsmithing is the goal.

Hey Clark,
I almost went with th PM, main reason I didn't was they never returned my emails. Go figure. Not a good reason, but a reason. Anyway, I agree, the chinese machines need some massaging.

One other thing to check is the squareness of the ways to the spindle. That will come up a critical thing when trying to do precision work. Also get an Aloris tool post. For a lathe that size, a BXA is the size you want.. dont go cheap there either..;)

I have a Clausing like USHandgunner does, it's a rebadged Harrison and a pretty nice machine. Mine isn't as pretty as his though.

I'm with CDi on the tool post, I have an Aloris and it works well.

keydiverfla,

How do you like the documentation on you Precision Matthews and DRO ?

I bought the 12X36 with DRO installed about 15 months ago.

Howard M