• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new LMT MWS 260 barrel came today.

Re: My new LMT MWS 260 barrel came today.

You're going to sell ti just because it does not have a threaded muzzle?

Mark from SAC is in Ohio. He does great work.

When I ordered it I asked if it was going to be threaded with a FH and the answer was yes. Until the engineers decided against it. I like to have some crown protection when Im shooting. Its not a big deal not to have it on a square range,varmint hunting or static target shooting. I set my rifle up for more of a run and gun type system.

I also do some LE suppressor demos for a dealer which makes it impossible to show the .260. If by chance the gunsmith screws up the threads you could side shoot the suppressor. Which depending on the model could be costly. I know LE does not shoot the .260, but they like to see what it does. They dont buy PKMs or AKs either but that never stops them from wanting demos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well after a few months wait I finally got it but it does not have a threaded muzzle. I guess the engineers didn't think it needed it. Otherwise its a great looking barrel. Off to the for sale section it goes. </div></div>

How much did it cost?

Why not send it back to the OM and tell them their product is not what you ordered and to fix it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When I ordered it I asked if it was going to be threaded with a FH and the answer was yes. Until the engineers decided against it. I like to have some crown protection when Im shooting. Its not a big deal not to have it on a square range,varmint hunting or static target shooting. I set my rifle up for more of a run and gun type system.

I also do some LE suppressor demos for a dealer which makes it impossible to show the .260. If by chance the gunsmith screws up the threads <span style="color: #FF0000">you could side shoot the suppressor.</span> Which depending on the model could be costly. I know LE does not shoot the .260, but they like to see what it does. They dont buy PKMs or AKs either but that never stops them from wanting demos.
</div></div>

Not a familiar term.... do you mean a baffle strike? Or an actual tube puncture from misalignment?

A competent gunsmith would not mess up the threads. With the correct tooling its actually pretty easy to keep them concentric to the bore. I would spend the money to have it threaded or call up who you bought the barrel from and request they follow thru with your order details. Easier then selling it off and burning that time you spent waiting on it.

"A competent gunsmith would not mess up the threads. With the correct tooling its actually pretty easy to keep them concentric to the bore."

What he said ^

I 100% agree with you RE25. I made sure by asking 3 different times if the barrel was threaded and everytime the answer was yes it is threaded for a flash suppressor. Mine showed up today and it was not threaded. I paid $586 with shipping ($481 is dealer cost apparently). It is just pisses me off when they tell you one thing and do something else. I could have bought a barrel made by a reputable maker (LMT would not say who made there barrels) and had exactly what I wanted. Mine just showed up today so I have not had time to call yet. Whether it is 100% essential to have a break or flash suppressor on a 260 is irrelevent. It is a matter of getting the product how you ordered it, not how they decided to send it to you.

That is a bummer about the muzzles not being threaded. RE25 you make a good point about the extra protection added by some kind of muzzle device.

Before either of you sell them, shoot a couple groups I am really interested in the .260 barrel and would love to see what they can do.

What length are these barrels? I don't think I've seen that anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$481.00 </div></div>

Is that for an SS or CL? What length? Id also like to see some groups before you dump it off to me... i mean sell it to someone
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20 inch Stainless steel. </div></div>

Not a bad price if they shoot... I wonder why are they still charging $700 for the 308 SS.

I got a great deal for some reason, the current price is right about 600. Maybe the lack of threading and the A2 make up for the other $100.

I would go and shoot it just for the hell of it except I am a master at losing money on my parts. Im sure the barrel shoots, it is well made and the bore is really nice. If I shoot it its like driving a new car off the lot and trying to sell it for what I have into it.

I just want to get my money back out of it and send it off to someone that doesn't mind the barrel as is. I see a lot of shooters that prefer this type of barrel on their rifles. Im just not one of them.

Does it look like this? 1x9 spec?

MWSMRPBarrelsatShot2011.jpg

Isn't that a pic of the demos/protos like they had at SHOT? I wonder how many they had made and if they will be offering a threaded version in the future?

I believe some MWS owners have converted other manufacturers barrels to the MWS platform. Could be an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that a pic of the demos/protos like they had at SHOT? I wonder how many they had made and if they will be offering a threaded version in the future?

I believe some MWS owners have converted other manufacturers barrels to the MWS platform. Could be an option. </div></div>

That is a photo from SHOT. I had DBMG convert a 20" Noveske 6.5 Creedmoor for me. I really like it and think I prefer the faster twist Noveske spec. It also came factory threaded but had mine removed given I live in CT and not sure I want to pay up for the pre-ban SR25 lower that would allow me to shoot with threads / suppressed in CT. I might have to get an LMT 338 Federal for fun.

ETA: Called sales and learned they are taking orders on the 260s, 243s, and 6.5CMs for retail price of $566. Estimated 3-4 weeks on shipping.

Hey sir,

What is your original barrel length in 308? I assume chrome?

What kind of groups are you getting out of it?

Conrad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey sir,

What is your original barrel length in 308? I assume chrome?

What kind of groups are you getting out of it?

Conrad </div></div>

My original barrel (if you were asking me) is a 16"CL with a Battlecomp but have not yet shot for groups. I had it set up with an aimpoint and shot 300-400 rounds cheap $5 per box Tula through it to see if I could run it in a carbine class (I now plan to). Was competent for drills at 25 and 50 yards with the cheap ammo. Have been shooting with the 6.5CM and scope at 100 lately... plan to upgrade the stock trigger.

Thanks. I have been considering this rifle b/c of the barrel flexibilty feature verses some of the others. Shot an OBR and fingered the REPR and a POF. Have not had the pleasure of test driving your rig yet though.

I never thought they were threaded as they were not threaded at the Shot Show.

As for getting one threaded, that would be annoying to have to pay more to have a modified barrel. If I did want it threaded, I would not use gunsmith. It is not a gun but a barrel. I would use a machinist and give them AACs drawings.

As for asking gun makers who their sub contractors are, it should be expected they won't tell you and it is hopeless to make sense of the information anyway because there is a drawing package which defines the part and that is what controls how it is made. Hundai could make parts for Mercedes and they would be awesome because they would be made to Mercedes specs.