• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new long range rig - TVP built Remmy 700 in 7mm Rem Mag Tactical Match (updated)

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
I have been running a 7mm-08 for a few years. It has served me well and been a reliable shooter. While it is extremely good at everything it was a master of nothing. I have been shooting at TVP ever since I owned the rifle and have always enjoyed the Intimidator above all other match types. Tom has one of if not the most difficult courses of fire this side of the Mississippi. Therefore I needed something with a tad more punch to get the job done at the ELR Intimidator. I decided on the 7mm Rem mag and I'm very happy I did. I got a blank from here on the Hide and then contacted Tom about installing and chambering the barrel. Dropped the rifle off with the new blank and picked up it a few weeks ago. I quickly learned I wanted a chassis that was a bit heavier to soak up as much recoil as possible. Tom advised me to go with the AI AX and I ordered one through him. When the Chassis came in the recoil lug was a bit too large for the chassis so Tom Milled the chassis and lug a bit to fit properly into the chassis. I had already done load development with the old stock and Tom and a group of his other shooters there for shooting started with acquiring a drop chart. Tom offers great Training sessions and we spent a whole day shooting to verify our drop charts and get drops to each of his intimidator targets. This rifle is by far the best shooting rifle I've been behind to date and I'm extremely happy with the workmanship at TVP. My first outing at Rayner's Long Range tactical Match resulted in my personal best score at the range.

I would highly recommend the training Tom offers at TVP to all shooters both experienced and especially novice.

Stats on the rig:

Remington 700 action
Krieger 26" heavy target barrel - 8.5 twist - chambered in Tom's "7mm Remington Magnum Tactical Match"
Badger Recoil lug
M41 Muzzle brake
Timney Trigger
Custom Bolt handle
Accuracy International AX - Duracoated Magpul FDE

Here is the group from load development with the old stock and factory trigger. I need to get a new group with the new Chassis and trigger. The upper left shot was shooter error.

Thank you,
Merritt

Last edited:
You got a keeper there Merritt, and congrats on the new high score!

Thanks for letting my buddies shoot it Saturday. You set the hook on 2 new shooters!

Last edited:
You got a keeper there Merritt, and congrats on the new high score!

Thanks for letting my buddies shoot it Saturday. You set the hook on 2 new shooters!

They seamed like they had fun. Im sure they are telling their buddies all about their hits at 990.

Thanks,
Merritt

Awesome, Merritt. You have definitely raised the bar with this rig!
My dad, would have said something like: "Looks fast, standing still"!
He was a Tech Sergeant, US Army Air Corps - Pacific, WWII, and an M1 Garand fan.

Thanks for sharing the experience and the photos.

Thanks guys. I have a Precision Armament 20MOA base on order to replace my 0MOA EGW I have been using. Hoping the added lock up with the recoil lugged scope base helps even more with the accuracy.

Thanks,
Merritt

Very nice!! Let us know how it shoots once you add all the new parts.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Looks pretty bad-ass! You have got to be happy with that critter.
What's the "tactical match" chamber all about?
What are you doing for bullets, powder, etc?

Tactical match is a tighter version of the standard Rem mag. Once I shoot a round through it the used brass has almost zero expansion. Also the chamber is so tight it won't accept sierra bullets because it stretches the neck just wide enough in diameter to not feed.

Currently it's running the following load at a moderate speed because I'm hoping to get more than normal barrel life:

180 Berger Target VLDs
69.0g H1000
Winchester brass
CCI large mag primers
3.404 OAL
2840fps

Tactical match is a tighter version of the standard Rem mag. Once I shoot a round through it the used brass has almost zero expansion. Also the chamber is so tight it won't accept sierra bullets because it stretches the neck just wide enough in diameter to not feed.

Currently it's running the following load at a moderate speed because I'm hoping to get more than normal barrel life:

180 Berger Target VLDs
69.0g H1000
Winchester brass
CCI large mag primers
3.404 OAL
2840fps

Looks nice, I was thinking about playing around with the 7mm Rem Mag.

I'm assuming that you mean its a tight neck chamber that requires turning the brass around the neck? For a no turn chamber but with a tighter neck, it is usually around .004" around the neck total clearance. If Sierra bullets are causing the brass to be too large to chamber, the Berger's are not far behind. I would recommend turning the brass to get some needed clearance. Also, check and see if your brass has a bur or raised up area round the mouth of the brass. That can cause things to hang up sometimes. I'm sure Tom would have the best answer for what is appropriate for your chamber.

Mark

20130830_142400_zps41f206fa.jpg

20130902_143959_zpse60c7df8.jpg

Mark you are correct turning the neck is what is needed to use the Sierra's. These Bergers are shooting so well right now im not changing a thing.

Here is the new Precision Armament rail with integrated recoil lug. Pics with my USO SN-3 3-17, and TPS Low rings installed. Also as requested my new 5rd group at 100 yards with the new stock, trigger, and scope rail added. I think I need to paint up my target at 460yards and see how it groups there.

Thanks,
Merritt

Last edited:
I shot a 7mm Mag for a few years, they are awesome!! Mine shot 168 Bergers with 69 gr Retumbo at 2960 out of a 24" barrel. Laser to 1000!! Hope you enjoy it, looks accurate!

Did I read that right?

Berger-tipped cartridges fit and Sierra-tipped cartridges don't because of the diametrical difference between them?