• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes My new Manfrotto tripod

YetiSlayer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
So I finally broke down and got myself a high quality tripod for my spotter. I got the Manfrotto 055CXPro4 with the 322RC2 head. I love this new tripod but it is a bit larger than I thought that it would be. I am now looking for a more compact solution for times that I am in a class or have to hike a bit to get where I am going. I would also like something that I can use the 322RC2 head with and would be used while mainly in the prone position. Any ideas out there guys???

Re: My new Manfrotto tripod

not compact enough, I just looked at the specs on them and they are still almost 20" long folded. I am looking for something in the 12" range when folded.

I really like the Slik Sprint Mini II tripod, then stick a Vanguard SBH-30 head on it. It has a folded length of 14" but the vanguard head does add a little more to that. Not sure if the Manfrotto head is compatible or not.

Try looking at the PRS tripods. I believe the medium height uses the slik sprint mini II tripod with different heads. They also make a shorter one with about a 8" folded length.

PRS tripods

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not compact enough, I just looked at the specs on them and they are still almost 20" long folded. I am looking for something in the 12" range when folded. </div></div>
Unless it is a range only/spotter only tripod, it is very difficult to find a spotter that folds down to 12". Gitzo used to make a couple in their Traveller lineup that folded to about 12", but those are discontinued. While not 12", the Gitzo GT1550T Traveller folds down to 14.1", but it is still useful for still photographic and video use.

I use a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T</span></span> with the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo G2285MB Adapter Plate</span></span>. The combined weight of the two is only 2.51 lbs., so its' very light in comparison to most other tripods including other quality carbon fiber units from Giotto and Manfrotto. The Traveller Series tripods' feature 180 degree-folding legs that allow fold-up into very compact sizes, making the Travellers' ideal for backpacking and travel. The GT1550T folds down to 14.1", is very stable, and can be used sitting, standing, or prone. The GT1550T's minimum height is 8.66", maximum height with Center Column "Up" is 57.48", and maximum height with Center Column "Down" is 49.21". If If I have the Center Column installed I usually raise it a max of 2/3rds' of it's height for better stability. The problem with Gitzos' is the high price tag.

If weight and compact size are less of a consideration I would look at a carbon fiber Giottos or Manfrotto tripod and matching Head. The Giottos and Manfrottos' aren't as light or as compact as the Gitzo Travellers' and they have larger footprints when used prone, but they'll typically cost <span style="font-weight: bold">a LOT</span> less and do almost the same things. Look at the four-section, carbon fiber <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Giottos MG-8240B MG Classic Carbon Fiber & Magnesium Tripod </span></span>, the four-section <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Giottos MT-8241 MT II Classic Carbon Fiber Tripod</span></span>, the three-section carbon fiber <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Manfrotto 190CXPRO3</span></span>, and the four-section carbon fiber <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Manfrotto 190CXPRO4</span></span> then add the head of your choice. All of them can be used sitting, standing, or prone.

I used to have an angled Zeiss 65T FL, and the GT1550T handled it with no problem. Then after buying and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">evaluating an Optolyth S80 Compact</span></span> alongside my 65T FL I sold the Zeiss in favor of the Optolyth. The Gitzo GT1550T and Optolyth S80 Compact work great together for sitting, standing, or prone use. The MIL Reticle in the Optolyth 30X WA Eyepiece rotates 360 degrees, so you can always orient the reticle to be "square" with the target, even after rotating the spotting scope within it's Collar.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + Gitzo G2285MB Adapter folded and ready to travel:</span></span>
GT1550TG2285MBFolded8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I applied some foam grips to the upper sections of the legs to protect them from scratches and deaden sound. The foam grips are
long enough to fit over and cushion the aluminum ferrules, so I pulled the grips over them as you can see in the photos below:</span></span>
FoamGrips8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + Gitzo G2285MB Adapter with Foam Grip material, folded:</span></span>
PA1615798x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth S80 HD Compact & 20-60X Eyepiece next to Zeiss Diascope 65T FL & Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece:</span></span>
Zeiss65TFLOptolythS80HDCompactOH38x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + G2285MB Adapter and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece (GT1550T's Center Column removed for prone use:)</span></span>
S80HDCompactLSRA18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + G2285MB Adapter and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to the Left of the shooter/spotter.
The spotting scope has been rotated to the Right within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has been rotated to the Left to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactRSRARotatedRightCU8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactRSFARotatedRightCU8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + G2285MB Adapter and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to the Right of the shooter/spotter.
The spotting scope has been rotated to the Left within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has been rotated to the Right to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactLSRA38x6.jpg

S80HDCompactRSFARotatedLeft8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + G2285MB Adapter and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Center Column raised for seated use:</span></span>
S80HDCompactLSRASitting8x6.jpg

Keith

Thanks Aries64 but I think that Range only/Spooter only tripod is just what I am looking for for the application that I have in mind and not another photo tripod. Dont get me wrong I really love my new one, I just want something more compact for when I am in the field and spotting my own shots. I know that the military uses some different solutions for when they are on missions.

Actually thanks again to Aries64. I did a bit of Google Fu and searched for spotting scope stand rather than compact tripod. Much different results from this search. These are what I was looking for and I thing that I have narrowed it down to a Ray-Vin or a Ewing unit. So now my question changes to what experience you all have with these stands and what you think is the best one and why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually thanks again to Aries64. I did a bit of Google Fu and searched for spotting scope stand rather than compact tripod. Much different results from this search. These are what I was looking for and I thing that I have narrowed it down to a Ray-Vin or a Ewing unit. So now my question changes to what experience you all have with these stands and what you think is the best one and why?</div></div>

Those tripods smoke pole for field use on un-level terrain. The only place you see them is on the high-power line.

If you want something sturdy and compact that won't break the bank, get a Manfrotto 190 and cut the leg sections down with a pipe cutter. Slick tripods are very lightweight but not as sturdy as the 190 with cut down legs.