• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new McMillan A5...wtf

Tangodown911

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
West metro Atlanta, GA
Well after waiting 17 weeks I got this...
IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

url]

url]

Some of the pictures are a little blury and fail to capture the issues, but others are johnny on the spot. I hope you guys can understand my level of discontent and frustration.

It seems to be loaded with blemishes. Mostly scratches, smears and rough spots. Considering the $4000+!!! that will go into this rifle I don't think I'm being picky. But this is why I am asking the McMillan owners out there...what do you guys think? Should this be expected or should they fix it?

I guess I was expecting more than the looks of a 3rd world sweat shop. And I am astonished on how this got past there QC and made it to me. No I don't expect it to be perfect and yes I understand that it is molded in. But the issues are on the top and bottom of the stock. The sides don't have nearly the smears as the top and bottom do.

Re: My new McMillan A5...wtf

They should fix it or take it back and refund your money.

non-McMillan owner.

Have you contacted McM? If not do that before you start bitching on the internetzzz......

I have contacted McMillan, nice people, and they seemed eager to fix the issues. I sent them pictures and they said the could understand my complaint. In fact they agreed to make another one for me, BUT... now it's another 3-5 week waiting game (my guesstimate) and they can not promise it won't look like this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you contacted McM? If not do that before you start bitching on the internetzzz...... </div></div>
smirk.gif
Not bitching. But then again it is my $750+.

I'd give them a chance and if they don't do it then you have a legitimate gripe. Every company has issues has some point. Its how they handle them that makes the difference. My experience with McMillan has always been great.
Lee

So they agreed to fix the issues by providing you with a new stock and you decided to take them up on it and then post a bunch of pics complaining about the quality of their products or otherwise venting your frustrations! Real nice! That just isn't the way to go about addressing your problems, man!!

Give them a chance to make it right and if things don't work out or they fail to address your concerns in a reasonable manner, then I think you have some cause to complain. I know waiting sucks and waiting longer for a "fix" to this situation isn't fun or satisfying, but things happen to even the best businesses out there! Again, give McM a chance before you start blasting an excellent company that always (I MEAN ALWAYS) takes good care of all of us in the shooting, military and LE communities!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you contacted McM? If not do that before you start bitching on the internetzzz...... </div></div>I didn't see any bitching, but I would say bitching is justified.

Edit: I see bitching now that i don't think was there before. I think the whole 3rd world sweat shop comment is a little wrong.

Smear marks in the gel coat are common with the camo patterns, not sure you can do anything about that, some are better then other but none perfect.

Fiberglass cloth seen through the gel coat is also common.

As for the scratches the pics are not the best so I can't say but if you are referring to swirl marks or fine line scratches in the gel coat these will be there and seen more easily with dark colors.

If McMillan is willing to do it again good for them, but I'm not sure you are going to get what you consider a perfect stock, that's just the nature of the material and how they are made.

Mcm has always done right by me - if you are not a sniper her'es one thing you MUST practice to be "Like" a sniper: Patience.

Good things come to those who wait...

If it's paint or fiberglass patching I'd just paint it up...it's meant to be taken out and shot - not sit and be pretty..

OK Went back and looked again - are these just cosmetic or are they st ructural in nature?

I've got an M40A1 stock I'll swap ya for that - when I get done with the camo paint it would not be noticeable!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you contacted McM? If not do that before you start bitching on the internetzzz...... </div></div>I didn't see any bitching, but I would say bitching is justified.

Edit: I see bitching now that i don't think was there before. I think the whole 3rd world sweat shop comment is a little wrong. </div></div>

Understood. It is a strong comment. My point was that I was shocked to see what I got, and expected much more. After all, that is why I chose McMill...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you contacted McM? If not do that before you start bitching on the internetzzz...... </div></div>

He's probably making sure its out of the ordinary for Mcmillian by posting this before contacting them.

the next one will most likely look the same, if you want something that looks nice. Order a black stock and send it to 30calsniper, here is one he did for me........my opinion painted looks a lot better than molded.

DSC_0301.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smear marks in the gel coat are common with the camo patterns, not sure you can do anything about that, some are better then other but none perfect.

Fiberglass cloth seen through the gel coat is also common.

As for the scratches the pics are not the best so I can't say but if you are referring to swirl marks or fine line scratches in the gel coat these will be there and seen more easily with dark colors.

If McMillan is willing to do it again good for them, but I'm not sure you are going to get what you consider a perfect stock, that's just the nature of the material and how they are made.

</div></div>

I got my first McMillan stock with molded in camo a month ago and it looked much like the OPs. I came to the same conclusions that you have posted here.

I'm not a building a rifle for show and tell, so it doesn't bother me one bit. THis isn't a paint job on a 50000 dollar hot rod.

Mine looks similar to your problem, I don't mind a bit as it isn't going to be a museum piece or trophy per say. I think it still looks good when you get behind it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the next one will most likely look the same, if you want something that looks nice. Order a black stock and send it to 30calsniper, here is one he did for me........my opinion painted looks a lot better that molded.

DSC_0301.jpg

</div></div>

I think that is what I would do if I was ording another. I ordered a marble finish stock earlier this year that had a lot of fiberglass tape showing. It looks great from a distance but a little funky up close. You can see pics in the A5 picture thread about 2/3 down this page. I decided to just get the rifle built and if it bugs me too much, I will get it painted. It is a bit of a let down for the price but their web site does say that you can expect to see this type thing.

Joe

Not sure I really see a problem with that stock. I have 6 molded in colored A5's in the safe and all have a little of this and that. The only A5 I dont have that doesnt show the things your bitching about is the OD green painted one.

The molded in gel coat camo stocks are to be concidered utility grade and will never be perfect. If it's not a working rifle just have it painted by Todd Jackson aka 30calsniper here on the hide. You'll be much happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_Lamz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the actual problem with it? </div></div>

I don't see it either.

My A3 looks like that as well.
Carry on with your build!

If it IS a working rifle then go with on target customs, also a member here (ARPredatorHunter) at ontargetcustoms.net

Its hard to beat full-rifle cerakote camo for $350

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give you $200 for it. </div></div>

Thanks. I needed a laugh.

I did consider having 30calsniper painting it. That idea is growing on me the more i think about it. I tried to call him about 30 minutes ago, but no answer (will try again tomorrow). Roscoe has said it best... it is utility grade. No way around it.

I'm glad I'm seeing several responses from you guys letting me know that some issues are expected when molding in the pattern. I do feel a little better. And that's why I posted the pics...to get McMillan owners' opinions and guys who build them.

Tangodown, first, go to our web-site an familarize yourself with our stock by reading all the FAQ's, particulary #11. What you see is the way the molded in finishes are and we are pretty up front about it. The colored gelcoats that make up this finish are about the consistancy of toothpaste when they go in the mold. Then all the layers of resin saturated cloth are laid in the mold on top of the gelcoat. Then an air bladder go's in and the mold is closed up and the air bladder is inflated to 60 to 80 psi the force all the cloth to conform to the mold shape. During this the gelcoats mush around, blend, smear, etc. This is actually what makes the "marble" effect stocks. Som mold lines don't match, some smearing occurs, a bit of cloth will show thru occasinally, etc. We would be glad to make you another stock but it will look the same, it's the nature of the beast. Or we will be glad to take the stock back and refund all your money, including shipping. But it you want sharp distinct lines, difinate color boundries and no mold lines, sanding marks, etc you must have a applied (painted) finish that will cover the stock as a last step. We do not paint camo colors, just solid colors, so you would need to go to one of the custom painters to get this done.
Dick at McMillans

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give you $200 for it. </div></div>

Thanks. I needed a laugh.

I did consider having 30calsniper painting it. That idea is growing on me the more i think about it. I tried to call gim about 30 minutes ago, but no answer (will try again tomorrow). Roscoe has said it best... it is utility grade. No way around it.

I'm glad I'm seeing several responses from you guys letting me know that some issues are expected when molding in the pattern. I do feel a little better. And that's why I posted the pics...to get McMillan owners' opinions and guys who build them. </div></div>

Tango- I had the exact same reaction when I got my GAP built .308.. the colors were smeared and didn't match up, looked kinda rushed. After a trip to the range I forgot all about it. I bought the A5 to shoot, not to look at.

The stock molds are 2 pieces, left and right, the gel coat "swirl" is applied to each half, so it is nearly impossible to get the colors to mate on the seam.

As mentioned, doesn't effect function in any way, you will forget about it, or paint it.

Kirk R

All of my McM stocks leave a little bit to be desired as far as finish goes. I have recieved a few from manners and they have all been stunning right out of the bubble wrap. I doubt I will ever get another McM.

You know its bad when you are begging your smith who happens to have 3 of the same mcmillan a5's in his shop to let you hand pick yours to get the one with the least blemishes. For what they cost I would like to be the one putting the blemishes on them rather than recieving them that way. I think at upwards of 700 bucks you have more than paid for that right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [the colors were smeared and didn't match up, looked kinda rushed. After a trip to the range I forgot all about it. <span style="font-weight: bold">I bought the A5 to shoot, not to look at.</span> </div></div>

Tada!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tangodown, first, go to our web-site an familarize yourself with our stock by reading all the FAQ's, particulary #11. What you see is the way the molded in finishes are and we are pretty up front about it. The colored gelcoats that make up this finish are about the consistancy of toothpaste when they go in the mold. Then all the layers of resin saturated cloth are laid in the mold on top of the gelcoat. Then an air bladder go's in and the mold is closed up and the air bladder is inflated to 60 to 80 psi the force all the cloth to conform to the mold shape. During this the gelcoats mush around, blend, smear, etc. This is actually what makes the "marble" effect stocks. Som mold lines don't match, some smearing occurs, a bit of cloth will show thru occasinally, etc. We would be glad to make you another stock but it will look the same, it's the nature of the beast. Or we will be glad to take the stock back and refund all your money, including shipping. But it you want sharp distinct lines, difinate color boundries and no mold lines, sanding marks, etc you must have a applied (painted) finish that will cover the stock as a last step. We do not paint camo colors, just solid colors, so you would need to go to one of the custom painters to get this done.
Dick at McMillans </div></div>

Thanks Mr. Davis. I see, now, that the issues are inherent and unavoidable with the process. It seems to be the nature of the beast, and I can accept that. But I am not happy with the nature, and you guys are right the best thing <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> be to see a custom painter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_Lamz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the actual problem with it? </div></div>

I don't see it either. </div></div>

... isnt that how camoflage is supposed to look?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of my McM stocks leave a little bit to be desired as far as finish goes. I have recieved a few from manners and they have all been stunning right out of the bubble wrap. I doubt I will ever get another McM.

You know its bad when you are begging your smith who happens to have 3 of the same mcmillan a5's in his shop to let you hand pick yours to get the one with the least blemishes. For what they cost I would like to be the one putting the blemishes on them rather than recieving them that way. I think at upwards of 700 bucks you have more than paid for that right.
</div></div>

Amen.

Nothing wrong with your stock bud, all of the mold ins come out like that, its a 2 piece molded stock so you cant expect every molded color to line up perfectly, and the scratches and smudges are normal. Mine has plenty from the day it was picked p from MCM. If you want it perfect it needs to be painted bud, dont expect anything better then the one you have now, screw your rifle together and go shoot the fucker, its a tool after all, not a diamond ring.

To all, we will also be the first to admit that Mr. Manners camo stocks look better that ours if fine detail is your thing on a finish. That is because he puts a painted finish on his. My little two man paint shop has to paint about 25 to 30 stocks a day, and we just do not have the time to mask off and apply stencils to paint camo patterns. We leave that to the custom paint shops. On the other hand, our molded-in finishes are probably the most durable finish going, and they look a lot better that the two or three other makers who have tried to do a molded in gelcoat finish.
Plus, if they are so bad looking, why do about 4 or 5 of you call or e-mail me every week wanting us to do one of the old "smeared" type finishes like the early M40A1 stocks were?Boy, talk about rough looking, but that was back in 74'and 75' when Gale was still figuring out how to make fiberglass stocks.
P.S. I type better if I remember to proof and correct my speed typing before I hit "submit".

By the way, these are not two-piece stocks, they are one-piece stocks made in a two-piece mold. The shells come out of the mold as a complete 360 degree one-piece tubular shell.
Also, you keep calling all the little smears and color offsets "blemishes". I know JW Precision and Gene Sears call us and tell us the the customers keep complaining about the blemished stocks they get. To us, these are not blemish's, they are perfectly normal and just the "nature of the beast". And we do not want any customer to keep something they are not happy with because it will always be a source of irritation to them.
So please return them for a refund, but the only solution we know of to a perfect camo type finish is a painted one. And I'm still waiting for some sharp painter to figure out how to do a "marble" paint job. Now, there's a challange.

Why does it matter? Im sure it will work just fine.... hate that it happened to you but I would just be happy I got it and go on with my build. Smear marks in your mold in colors are going to happen. I think it gives them character.

Nothing wrong with that stock.

If it's the first molded-in McMillan you've been up close and personal with, I sorta understand your surprise. But it is what it is.

I personally like the "imperfect" look, and I understand why it is so.

Structural integrity is the essence of a McMillan stock, along with the pattern, inlet, length, fill, colors, and accessories to my specification.

If cosmetic appearance is your thing, probably want to look elsewhere.

I have both, painted Manners and A-5McM swirl patterns. My swirl patterns are just fine and look exactly like I wanted them too. My painted Manners are a work of art. That is EXACTLY what it is, an artist (Todd J) painting them.

Two different cars bro with the same engine!! Take a look at Terry Cross's Sentinel swirl and tell me that process doesn't rock!!

I was gonna mention the return smears...

Dick, keep on keepin' on! I wish I could grab a "blemished" A5 like that right now, 'cause I've got a real fugly A3!

Shane pretty much hit the nail on the the head with the expectations. Just another reason to find one to get your hands on when shopping stocks.

Manners' paint jobs are nice. My Manner's paint job show WAY more scratches and dings with field use than my McM's do. But my rifles tend to get ridden hard and put away wet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the A5 stocks... almost as much as my Sentinels
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Here, I've got a papercut-would you be kind enough to rub this lemon in it?

You want to know how hard this gel coat stuff is ask Dick about my RAD Camo and what it took to get this done. When I did this with McMillan I think there was only one guy at McMillan that wanted to even try it. He nailed it and I couldn't have been happier.

Comparing Manners painted stocks to McMillan molded in gel coat is apples and oranges.

IMG_3368.jpg

ArthurLeung2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with your stock bud, all of the mold ins come out like that, its a 2 piece molded stock so you cant expect every molded color to line up perfectly, and the scratches and smudges are normal. Mine has plenty from the day it was picked p from MCM. If you want it perfect it needs to be painted bud, dont expect anything better then the one you have now, screw your rifle together and go shoot the fucker, its a tool after all, not a diamond ring. </div></div>

I love it when you talk all tough, makes it so much cooler when you're wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you contacted McM? If not do that before you start bitching on the internetzzz...... </div></div>
smirk.gif
Not bitching. But then again it is my $750+.

</div></div>

You are correct to bitch even before you contacted them. Thats a quality control issue and we should all know about it.
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with your stock bud, all of the mold ins come out like that, its a 2 piece molded stock so you cant expect every molded color to line up perfectly, and the scratches and smudges are normal. Mine has plenty from the day it was picked p from MCM. If you want it perfect it needs to be painted bud, dont expect anything better then the one you have now, screw your rifle together and go shoot the fucker, its a tool after all, not a diamond ring. </div></div>

I love it when you talk all tough, makes it so much cooler when you're wrong. </div></div> Idk bro thats what the lady told me when I picked it up at McMillan, that all there stocks are made in 2 molds, and thats why there are the imperfections where the two halves meet. All im stating is what I was told, by McMillan....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neo223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are correct to bitch even before you contacted them. Thats a quality control issue and we should all know about it.
Thanks. </div></div>

Please read, then comment, its NOT a quality control issue and is clearly stated up front on the site, nothing to hide.

McMillan molded in finish

Molded-In Colors to Create a Unique Marble Pattern.
Molded in colors are the most durable finish we offer. With a molded finish, the color is impregnated into the gelcoat, or exterior surface layer of the stock.<span style="text-decoration: underline"> All of the molded-in finishes below should be considered utility-grade. Mold lines, sanding marks, fiberglass cloth and small imperfections may be visible.</span>