• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My new NF and the vanishing reticle

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
I need a little help with my new NF 5.5-22x56 w/ the NP-R1 reticle. I focused against a cloud by turning the ocular and wearing my normal glasses and trying not to look at it for more than a few seconds. This seemed to work fine. BTW, as for my vision I have astigmatism and am slightly near sighted. Not terrible.

I took the thing out to shoot this evening, about an hour or so of sun remaining, but both me and the target shaded. About 100 yds, white paper target on a sheet of plywood, also painted (and faded) white, and kind of dirty. Used the side-focus to bring the target into crisp focus.

After I look through the scope for a short time (20-30 seconds), the damn reticle fades and almost disappears. This is repeatable, and with the illumination off. It's there when I start. Tried both with glasses and naked eyes.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong w/ the scope, but that I'm doing something wrong that is pretty simple. I'm an XTC shooter and pretty much used irons all my life where this shit just doesn't happen. This is my first piece of good glass.

I wouldn't normally shoot in this kind of light, but it wasn't dark by any means.

Can someone help the new guy out?

Thanks in advance,
-Slice

Re: My new NF and the vanishing reticle

Remeber to breath. I bet your holding your breath. First victim of oxygen starvation is your vision.

I wasn't holding my breath, was actually looking for my natural point of aim so I'm sure of that.

I thought I did follow the instructions, though I didn't have them right with me. I'll double check. Is the range of adjustment so fine that I could've missed the sweet spot?

Thanks guys
-Slice

I don't think the adjustment is that fine, but they are pretty specific on how to do it.
I was to excited to have the scope and I just kinda skimmed over the instructions. When I went back and looked at them again I noticed I had missed a few things.

Really though we don't need no damn instructions!
wink.gif

There is also the possibility of the vision reference remaining static for too long.

That's why we don't see the blood vessels in our retinas except when brightly lit by incoming light. Without that change in illumination (new shadows, so to speak), the image on the retina stays put and is screened out of existence by our brain's optical processing systems.

When bored in Church in my teens, I used to deliberately activate this by staring rock-still at the woodgrain panels in front of the Sacrament table. Spooky how one part of the field of view could be faded to almost nothing, but a movement in the periphery would be a strong image.

I'd also confirm that your concentration on finding NPA isn't suspending your breathing. It's generally autonomic, but having my Brain Housing Unit intensely occupied has left me literally forgetting to breathe a few times.

Turn on the illumination, should be hard to miss
grin.gif