• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new OBR!!!!

Sumpter Steve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Gresham, Oregon
Here it is. What a nice rifle. I sure hope it shoots as good as it did at the factory (see target). Unfortunately I wont be able to take it out until Monday.

OBR.jpg

OBRTarget.jpg

Re: My new OBR!!!!

nice man,really nice.saw one at the range few weeks ago,punched singles at 100. the obr doesnt seem to have alot of fans,cant understand it.

Super nice and a very capable gun from all accounts I've read.

I am looking at the OBR if I can ever get my act together with a bolt-action.

Enjoy it.

Got mine just the other day as well. Still trying to decide on glass. Can't wait to give 'er a whirl. Good luck with yours...

Nice gun, Steve. And nice scope, too. Let us know how it does when you get it to the range.

I made the mistake of ordering a 20". It seems a bunch of 18" guns got delivered last week but no 20" guns are shipping. I've been waiting 8 weeks and I know another guy who's been waiting 12 weeks for his 20". And the guys waiting on Predatars are waiting even longer. It's not the waiting that gets me, it's the waiting beyond what I was told to expect.

So your not shooting for POF anymore? I heard good things about the Larue, love to see a range report. Whose barrel do they use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So your not shooting for POF anymore? I heard good things about the Larue, love to see a range report. Whose barrel do they use? </div></div>

Hey buddy. I'm actually demonstrating, training and competing with both weapon systems (POF/LaRue)and letting the agencies decide for themselves. My goal is to get these rifles into the hands of operators by promoting them equally. I feel that they are both great companies who produce absolutely outstanding products. It's like choosing between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.

Steve, here's a five shot group I shot with an OBR two days ago. The rifle has over 2600 rounds through it and has not had any cleaning or lube or even a bore snake pulled down the barrel from day one. It's only been opened up to see what it looks like inside.

I've shot the last couple hundred rounds and the only thing I can see that's happening from no lube is it's getting a little slow stripping the first round off a mag when your release the charging handle or push the bolt release. It's still feeding all the rounds I've put through it with no problem and going bang every time I pull the trigger.

The light gray lines are on 1" grids.

15e8a317.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So your not shooting for POF anymore? I heard good things about the Larue, love to see a range report. Whose barrel do they use? </div></div>

Hey buddy. I'm actually demonstrating, training and competing with both weapon systems (POF/LaRue)and letting the agencies decide for themselves. My goal is to get these rifles into the hands of operators by promoting them equally. I feel that they are both great companies who produce absolutely outstanding products. It's like choosing between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. </div></div>

Steve, when you get a chance, give us some specs on it. I like the look of their handguard.

Tony, of course nice shooting from you sir. How's it weigh compared to a AR10 or similiar?

Good morning Scott, thank you. The rifle as you see it here weighs 14.2 pounds. I don't know what AR10's in similar configuration weigh.

That's a 4-16 S&B with a GDI P-ROM mount.

c9603bfb.jpg

Edited to add: Mag is empty

Specs are:

- LaRue 18" OBR.
- 1/11.25 twist stainless barrel (Lothar Walther).
- Front rail is marked "XTRAXN Technologies".
- MAGPUL PRS stock.
- MAGPUL MIAD grip (not shown).
- Gieselle 2 stage trigger (from factory).
- Atlas V8 bipod.
- US Optics new "QD" mount.
- USO SN3 (3.2-17x)TPAL with MPR reticle.

Havent weighed her yet or had a chance to take her to the range (dang it). The fit and finish is absolutely perfect and you can tell LaRue has great attention to detail. I'll add some range reports to this thread as I collect the data. So far I'm very hopeful that it's going to be a shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what AR10's in similar configuration weigh.
</div></div>

They all weigh about the same.

2600 rounds no cleaning or lube holy ****.

Thanks for the report. I really want one of these.

Ive had my eye on the OBR for a LONG time. My buddy has been shooting sub MOA groups with his Sig Sauer DMR. I have a standard Sig 556, and I have been contemplating putting some money into it..ie ELCAN or SB Short Dot, BUIS, etc. But recently I have been leaning towards getting an OBR. I like the rail setup on the OBR much better. There isnt nearly enough aftermarket support for the Sig 556 market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had my eye on the OBR for a LONG time. My buddy has been shooting sub MOA groups with his Sig Sauer DMR. I have a standard Sig 556, and I have been contemplating putting some money into it..ie ELCAN or SB Short Dot, BUIS, etc. But recently I have been leaning towards getting an OBR. I like the rail setup on the OBR much better. There isnt nearly enough aftermarket support for the Sig 556 market. </div></div>
If people wanted it there would be a supply. The basic truth is that the sig is not a benchmark gun, not by any means. They work and they shoot but anything under 2 MOA I would have to see on paper to even think of it as being true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Specs are:

- LaRue 18" OBR.
- 1/11.25 twist stainless barrel (Lothar Walther).
- Front rail is marked "XTRAXN Technologies".
- MAGPUL PRS stock.
- MAGPUL MIAD grip (not shown).
- Gieselle 2 stage trigger (from factory).
- Atlas V8 bipod.
- US Optics new "QD" mount.
- USO SN3 (3.2-17x)TPAL with MPR reticle.

Havent weighed her yet or had a chance to take her to the range (dang it). The fit and finish is absolutely perfect and you can tell LaRue has great attention to detail. I'll add some range reports to this thread as I collect the data. So far I'm very hopeful that it's going to be a shooter. </div></div>

Thanks buddy, i'm sure it will shoot, Larue makes good stuff. i appreciate the info. If I didn't know some guy who makes AR;s, OBR might be a good choice especially after seeing Tony's groups.

Tony, whats on the bottom of your CTR?

Here's my first group with this rifle. I zero'd the scope then shot this 5 shot group. Not too shabby... I think I'm in love.

OBR5-shotgroup.jpg

Sweet rifle. I love my Larue as well. You now own the best semi .308 precision rifle currently made.
Pat

Out of curiousity, why are you running your OBR without cleaning? Is this a test? I shoot my new GAP 10 a lot and can't imagine not cleaning it regularly.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, here's a five shot group I shot with an OBR two days ago. The rifle has over 2600 rounds through it and has not had any cleaning or lube or even a bore snake pulled down the barrel from day one. It's only been opened up to see what it looks like inside.

I've shot the last couple hundred rounds and the only thing I can see that's happening from no lube is it's getting a little slow stripping the first round off a mag when your release the charging handle or push the bolt release. It's still feeding all the rounds I've put through it with no problem and going bang every time I pull the trigger.

The light gray lines are on 1" grids.

15e8a317.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only shoot it at 100 so far? </div></div>

Yeah. The range has been closed for a comp this weekend. I snuck in late Friday evening after they were finished for the day. I hope to give her a try at 300-600 next week. I will be chronographing it on Monday and I'll let ya fellas know what she's running (FPS).

m14er. The post you quoted was from someone else (not me). My rifle only has 50 rounds down the tube. I do have a stringent cleaning routine that I picked up at the last school I went to (thanks Wojcik). I was taught that "consistency equals accuracy" and I need to know that my cold bore shot is always going to be there. This is my reason for adopting this cleaning routine and sticking with it.

I also wanted to say that I gave Silver State Armory ammunition (168gr Match) a try and boy was I impressed. It shot the same exact POI as my 168gr Hornady TAP AMAX and grouped equally as well (1/2 MOA or better). I'll get some chrono data on it this coming Monday and will post it on this thread. If you haven't tried their ammo I would highly recommend it. Steve.

www.ssarmory.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its alright I guess, if your into that sort of thing. </div></div>

Way to crap in his thread...

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "OBR" stand for, and what type of gas block is that?

Yes m14er it's a test of sorts to see how long the rifle can run with nothing done to it. The rifle belongs to Jacob at Rifles Only. I was delivering some inventory down there a while ago and he asked if I wanted to take it and shoot it, with the stipulation I not lube it or clean it at all.

So far it's running great and the accuracy speaks for itself.

OBR stands for Optimized Battle Rifle. From what I understand it's optimized for the M118LR round, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

If nothing else this experiment ought to give some insight into what the rifle can do under pretty harsh pm conditions.

Below are some pictures I just took of the rifle. Remember there's 2600 rounds through it and there's been no cleaning, or lube at all. The only lube you can see is what came on the rifle from the factory.

71a7832d.jpg

1964461b.jpg

2e3c12b2.jpg

d180a60f.jpg

0e33abdb.jpg

b2c3d452.jpg

67059aaf.jpg

337523c2.jpg

f76c7875.jpg

d8d65f9b.jpg

That's very impressive for a gas gun to run that many rounds without cleaning.

The first AR I ever built was an RRA varmint upper on a stag lower. I put a little over 500 through it without cleaning/lubing it as I didn't know any better. It never gave me a problem. You can actually get away with a lot with AR rifles...

Tburkes, that is impressive. But its going to be a bitch when it comes time to clean, good thing it isnt your rifle.

Nice Rifle, its got me thinking now... OBR or POF to polish off my semi auto 308 collection... the accuracy results look great, especially with over 2600rds w/out cleaning!!! but of course it would be a different story runnin her with a can for that many rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its alright I guess, if your into that sort of thing. </div></div>

Way to crap in his thread... </div></div>

I'm looking at Steve right now, like face to face. It was a joke. I'll use sarcasm font next time. Thanks though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its alright I guess, if your into that sort of thing. </div></div>

Way to crap in his thread... </div></div>

Thanks Kurt for looking out for my thread. I honestly do appreciate it. Trust me when I say "GUNSRSCARY" is just fucking with me and it's all good. He's a great friend and I know he's always got my back both on and off duty.

Steve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes m14er it's a test of sorts to see how long the rifle can run with nothing done to it. The rifle belongs to Jacob at Rifles Only. I was delivering some inventory down there a while ago and he asked if I wanted to take it and shoot it, with the stipulation I not lube it or clean it at all.

So far it's running great and the accuracy speaks for itself.

OBR stands for Optimized Battle Rifle. From what I understand it's optimized for the M118LR round, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

If nothing else this experiment ought to give some insight into what the rifle can do under pretty harsh pm conditions.

Below are some pictures I just took of the rifle. Remember there's 2600 rounds through it and there's been no cleaning, or lube at all. The only lube you can see is what came on the rifle from the factory.

71a7832d.jpg

1964461b.jpg

2e3c12b2.jpg

d180a60f.jpg

0e33abdb.jpg

b2c3d452.jpg

67059aaf.jpg

337523c2.jpg

f76c7875.jpg

d8d65f9b.jpg
</div></div>

For the love of god, please clean that!

Hit the range this morning. Popped open the case and fired my CBS (168gr TAP).

OBR-CBS.jpg

Then I tried out Silver State Armory's 168gr Match ammo and shot a 3 shot group which measured 1/4".

OBR-3shot.jpg

Now I know I'm in love with this new rifle!!!!!!!

Beyond nice, I'm thinking "stunning groups". Show that to some of the bolt guys and explain to them this is why we shoot AR's. I was looking at a Noveske, might have to reconsider.

That's 2600 rounds of quality ammo, you probably don't shoot junk ammo.

Hard to argue with results like that.

Great shooting Steve, congrats on your performance. That's definitely a confidence builder.

jbell, I'm glad I don't have to clean it either.

Jig Stick, it's still shooting good, so....not yet.
smile.gif

I put another hundred rounds through the one I'm shooting yesterday. It's still running just fine.

This is a good thread and looks like you have a great rifle. TBurkes, that beeyach is dirty, still strollin though haha.

Although I am not a fan of the brand, I think there is simply no denying the merits of the OBR. When I decide to get a precision semi 308 it will likely be the OBR. I got handed a mag of 5 rounds of Corbon match ammo and shot the following group from a 16" OBR. I was impressed and tried to buy the rifle right there
laugh.gif

obr.jpg

Not a Larue fanboy, but yeah, these are great rifles. I have a 20", with a 3x17 USO, H27 reticle. I've got about as many rounds as Tony does thru mine, no cleaning yet. Most of the rounds are suppressed, it is one dirty puppy. Shot at the 3MR comp and had to switch the gas block over from suppressed to "un" after a couple of short feeds during a long string.

Have not cleaned it yet, been shooting other rifles, but eyeing that nasty little project, finding other tihngs to do. Curiously, it is still very good at CB shots, it has cost unsuspecting shooting partners a couple 20 dollar bills from time to time, outshooting their (more) expensive custom bolt guns.

One special thing I liked about my rifle, Rick Perry shot the test target. How cool was that?