• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My New/Old Rifle Project

CDAT

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2006
Lampasas Texas
About 6-months ago, while at a local range, one of the RO wanted to sell a rifle. And as I had been looking for a Winchester action for a build, I took it off his hands. This rifle started life as a LA Winchester 670A with a feather weight barrel in a beat up wood stock. To date I done the following to the rifle:

- Had a Gunsmith (Mark Farr) replace the feather wight barrel with an old (1967 vintage) medium weight 308 Wichester barrel I already had on hand.

- Mark also rechamered it to 30.06. In order to get rid of the throat erosion the barrel was cut from 24 to 22 inches.

- Installed a Manner MCS TA1 Stock.

- Mounted a 4-14X40MM VX III Leupold Scope with M1 Knobs and TMR.

- Warne 20 MOA Base and Low Rings and Harris Bipod.

In its present configuration it seems to be a 1 to 1.5 MOA shooter with loads I use in my other 30.06 Bolt Gun. Future upgrades include skim bedding the reciever, a new barrel, and detachable box mag bottom metal.

CDAT

001.jpg

Re: My New/Old Rifle Project

Nice job. How much does it weight? Does the comb height work for you?

I really like the look of the Manners MCS-T stock for a hunting rifle. I just did a similar job with a barreled Savage action.

thats looks great im working on 25/06 on a win70 action.

i wanted to know whats the mozzle report like with that short of a barrel on a 06 i know for my 25 it was pretty bad.

and that stock does look good hope u r having fun with her cya around
laugh.gif

dagger and magman687---- The rifle, without the bipod, weights in right at 10lbs. I really like the stock configuration (its kind of an old school look) and for most siturations the comb height is adaquate. However, the last time at the range I found that by adding around 3/8 to 1/2 inches of material to the comb make a more consistant cheek weld. The part that has taken some getting used to is the short barrel and rifle weight. My other 30.06 bolt gun has a 26 inch barrel and weights almost 15 pounds. Makes quite a difference in muzzle flash and recoil impulse.

CDAT