• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My new paint job

oobray

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
dallas area, tx
Well, after some suggestions on this forum about painting your rifle with Krylon paint and some home made stencils, I got up the nerve and did it. I used some weeds and branches from the yard and used three different colors from Wal-Mart and my wife and I worked on this until 2 am this morning. It actually went really well and I think it turned out really nice. The only problem is that this Krylon seems to be pretty soft. I think I'm going to order the DuraCoat clear just to put a clear coat on it.

Here's a before....

l_009d0488c63f4efe8e4609f962a57f51.jpg

Here's the after. I'm going to be getting a Millett DMS-1, so I'll paint that to match when I get it.

l_410a23c14a9d44ffb7abd46258089815.jpg

l_0ce3122e98384f86bad26fd26a795d98.jpg

l_81443fa661df4d499fdfb553254ae786.jpg

l_471feab8b0c148d29dc7580bb29251e1.jpg

Re: My new paint job

Good job, easy to fix and a lot cheaper than dipping.
I did the 222 (below) with Krylon on the stock and Bear Tooth scope cover (open ended) and their anti skid tape on the barrel. The bolt still needs a matte blue to knock it down.

http://www.beartoothproducts.com/

DSCN2813.jpg

DSCN2814.jpg

DSCN2817.jpg

Well, evidentally the clear coat that I did get at the store which I didn't think was gloss is getting more and more glossy as it dries. It's really, really shiny and makes the gun look like a plastic toy. Hopefully when I get the duracoat clear it will dull the finish.

I noticed if I put a "satin clear" krylon coat, it lasts a little longer, also if it is metal parts, I bake them around 300 degrees for 1/2 an hour, this seems to toughen it up even more...
YMMV

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oobray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, evidentally the clear coat that I did get at the store which I didn't think was gloss is getting more and more glossy as it dries. It's really, really shiny and makes the gun look like a plastic toy. Hopefully when I get the duracoat clear it will dull the finish. </div></div>

You might try lightly rubbing it down with fine steel wool to dull it up too....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oobray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, evidentally the clear coat that I did get at the store which I didn't think was gloss is getting more and more glossy as it dries. It's really, really shiny and makes the gun look like a plastic toy. Hopefully when I get the duracoat clear it will dull the finish. </div></div>
Duracoat offers a no-gloss clearcoat...be sure to get that version ;-) Also, even with that version, it'll get shiny if you put too many coats on.

Use the duracoat matte clear and cut back on the hardner. Leaves a nice flat finish!

The Krylon will get more durable in a week or so. Believe it or not, Krylon wears halfway decent against normal use. Just don't get any cleaning solvents on it, as it will soften right up and come off.

I was wondering about the cleaning process. So I guess I have to use the cleaning solvents on the barrel and just really take care not to get it on the finish. Do I just use water to clean whatever might get on the rifle?