• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new Rem 700

MrMike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Port Clyde, Maine
All my parts finally came and I got it put together. I do have to send the scope back though. The elevation locking knob was missing its roll pin and dosnt stay in place. Opticsplanet was very easy to deal with on the return and sounded dissapointed that I got a bum product. Locking knob aside my first impressions of the scope are nothing but positive. Once I get the exchange I'll give the best review I can being a new guy to scopes, I can only compare it to the Bushnell on my girlfriends .243.

700001.jpg

700003.jpg

You can clearly see the elevation lock sticking up.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Win
Eagle stock pad/pouch
Harris 9" - 13"
EGW 15 MOA base
Burris low rings
Konus Konuspro 4.5 - 16 X 40

Sling is on its way I'm gonig to get better flipups and probably a scope cover... One thing about it, its one heavy gun LMAO

Here are some of the scope features
Locking fast focus ocular
locking 1/8 moa turrets
parallax wheel 10 yards to infinity
4" sunshade (paint matches flawlessly)
water proof/fog proof
multi-coated optics
adjustable Illuminator
Recticle on second focal plane
anti-canting bubble (built in)
engraved mil dot reticle

The glass in and some of the guts are made it Italy, the rest is made and assembled in china (like most things on the planet)

Well guys.... thoughts, questions suggestions?

Mike

Re: My new Rem 700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULL-IT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet! I am trying to find a SPS Tactical, i cant find one anywhere. </div></div>

My local gun guy was a while with his distributors trying to locate one but he pulled it off. I have heard that a lot of folks are having a hard time. Sounds like I got lucky.

I did the whole build for right around 1200. No used parts. I cant wait to go shoot
grin.gif

Welcome to the Hide. You have a good starting setup. Now all you need it a lot of ammo and trigger time.

I would suggest to lighten the pull of the trigger a little. That can easily be done by removing the action from the stock, and taking a small allen head and backing out the bottom screw on the front side of the trigger. You may not think it needs lightened now, but when shooting out to distance it really helps.

In the future you may want to think about a new stock. The Hogue flexes a little in the front and hurts accuracy a bit.

Also, I would suggest reloading if you don't already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soul Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Hide. You have a good starting setup. Now all you need it a lot of ammo and trigger time.

I would suggest to lighten the pull of the trigger a little. That can easily be done by removing the action from the stock, and taking a small allen head and backing out the bottom screw on the front side of the trigger. You may not think it needs lightened now, but when shooting out to distance it really helps.

In the future you may want to think about a new stock. The Hogue flexes a little in the front and hurts accuracy a bit.

Also, I would suggest reloading if you don't already. </div></div>

I'm trying to get the reloading part cleared with with the wife ha ha! I just ordered Serria's manual. A friend of mine shoots match and reloads and said he would help me out with it, he uses Serria but I dont know it from a hole in the wall, is there a particular brand you would recomend?

I will also check out the reloading threads here on SH.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I just won an sps tac in .308 off of gunbroker for $519 plus $20 shipping. Bud's doesn't have them anymore - or better stated they're out right now and their price was $540 shipped.

Anyway, the dealer was running a dutch auction on gunbroker. They ordered 47 of the sps tacs and sold 34 or 35 in the auction for $519. You can probably find them on gunbroker now. If you would like the phone number for the dealer send me an email: [email protected].

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULL-IT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet! I am trying to find a SPS Tactical, i cant find one anywhere. </div></div>

My local gun guy was a while with his distributors trying to locate one but he pulled it off. I have heard that a lot of folks are having a hard time. Sounds like I got lucky.

I did the whole build for right around 1200. No used parts. I cant wait to go shoot
grin.gif
</div></div>

I went to the Gun Show in tampa today and what did i find? A SPS tactical, It was the last and only one in the building.
I paid about $700 after tax and all the other fee's, i pick it up this friday.

I spent $1,100, for my complete set up.
I got the W.O.TAC 4-14x50, EGW 20 MOA base, and Burris tactical rings.

After we left the gun show we swung by Bed Bath & Beyond, lol, i guess that's the price you pay when you bring ur wife to a gun show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULL-IT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULL-IT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet! I am trying to find a SPS Tactical, i cant find one anywhere. </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

I went to the Gun Show in tampa today and what did i find? A SPS tactical, It was the last and only one in the building.
I paid about $700 after tax and all the other fee's, i pick it up this friday.

I spent $1,100, for my complete set up.
I got the W.O.TAC 4-14x50, EGW 20 MOA base, and Burris tactical rings.

After we left the gun show we swung by Bed Bath & Beyond, lol, i guess that's the price you pay when you bring ur wife to a gun show. </div></div>

Sounds like we are in the same ball park price wise. I spent right around the same for my entire build, but I am having a hard time finding flip ups, the front isnt an issue its the back.. The eye piece has a fast focus ring and it measures out at 1.8" 46.5mm. I cant seem to find a push button flipup that big. Butler Creek's biggest is a full mm too small
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULL-IT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet! I am trying to find a SPS Tactical, i cant find one anywhere. </div></div>

I can order you one, shoot me a PM if interested.

[/quote]

Sounds like we are in the same ball park price wise. I spent right around the same for my entire build, but I am having a hard time finding flip ups, the front isnt an issue its the back.. The eye piece has a fast focus ring and it measures out at 1.8" 46.5mm. I cant seem to find a push button flipup that big. Butler Creek's biggest is a full mm too small
frown.gif
[/quote]

Yea, the back flip up is shit. I cant find one to fit either.
If you find one PM me, if you remember.

I'll make a note of it, I was thinking of getting the biggest that Butler offers and boiling it to soften it, but at a whole MM difference that would be a stretch. I might have to put a front one on there
frown.gif