• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

my new rifle and 300 yd target

308mike

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2011
Burt, Iowa
heres my new rifle, model 700 rem action,shilen barrel,chaote stock, Iturned a new stainless bolt handle on my lathe and welded it on and inleted the choate stock for the factory removable clip, very heavy maybe 19 pounds with scope and harris bipod but shoots like no other rifle i have ever owned. I had a gunsmith at scheels in desmoines cut and chamber it after a botch job 10 years ago he did a wonderful job.

DSCN2481.jpg

DSCN2483.jpg

DSCN2468-1.jpg

Re: my new rifle and 300 yd target

chrrrp chrrrp chrrrrp you guys sure are quiet. figured i would at least get some kind of feedback

308 long action, sorry it also has a hawke sidewinder tactical 8.5-25x42

How do you like the Hawke?? My concern would be with the turrents. I have had a scope that had the locking type turrents, and my heavy hand kept pushing the elevation knob down and it would catch and lock. I was having to pull it up over and over again to get any distance.

DK

the push and pull is very firm on both turrets, i have several hawke scopes and for the money they are haed to beat, the glass is very clear, this is the only one i have had a slight issue with, past 500 i am having a problem dialing all of the parlex out, but it is not bad at 600 maybe 1 to 2 inchs of movement, I put a gridded sheet up at 600

nice shooting ! no snow left in Iowa?

How much did he charge for the chamber job? I also live in IA.

John

Hell yea nice shooting. Man that thing is HEAVY, hows the recoil? Like a 223?

well he faced the action and laped the lugs cut the entire old chamber out and rechambered a match chamber cut 1 inch off barrel end and recrowned the barrel took the new barrel off new rifle and instaled the shilen for 240 tax and all

Nice rifle, and excellent shooting.

You have to remember how small those target spots actually are.

Do you like the Choate stock? I'm a little skeptical of the fit and finish, but obviously it's working.

If I were you I would look into getting the rifle Cerakoted or something similar to tie everything together a little better.

Maybe it's just not my style. I do appreciate the parts that go into it though.

thanks, the stock did take some fitting to make it the way i liked it to fit, and a may look into other finishes

I see you didn't bother to use 3 screws on that Lyman case trimmer... Neither did I! You should really consider either an upgraded trimmer, or the $20 cutter head for use with a drill, or being that you have a lathe and welder, you can drill out the rivet holding your crank handle on, then center drill the end of the shaft so you can weld in a shank for chucking a drill on. It made the difference between HATING to trim cases to not minding it for me.

thanks for the thoughts im on the same thought train just havnt got it done yet

What contour is that barrel? Length?
Load work up?

Nice shooting, I am not a fan of the looks of that stock, but they sure are effective.

What does each component weigh? Guess I cant believe it weighs so much with such a small looking stock. Guess that 30" 1.2 straight taper truck axel is the majority??
grin.gif

Regards,
DT

the barrel is (its been a while) #9 conture shilen was 28 but had to have the entire chamber cut off and rechambered now its 25 and I am useing 168 smk 43.1 gr of tac and cci mag primer the stock and scope are both heavy, yeah the barrel may be some of it lol I still have not done the trigger yet its 3or more pounds that adjustable trigger is really not adjustable but ill get it down around 2