• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My New Rifle is Hungry...Where to Get Ammo?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I should complete building my high end AR15 (223) done in a month or so. Until I get my reloading act together, I need to shoot factory 223 ammo. Except there isn't any. I knew availability wasn't good, but I can't find ANY except stuff that is not at well suited to shooting paper targets at 100 yards. Are there ANY sources that have shown deliveries within a few weeks or ordering? I have checked about 20 places on line, to no avail. Very few places will even take a backorder.

Hard to believe I went through all the sourcing work to find AR15 parts, only to be stymied at the end with nothing to feed it.

- Phil

Re: My New Rifle is Hungry...Where to Get Ammo?

if you serious about staying with the sport call Dillon and get a RL 550 B

Make your own
Bill

I am putting my reloading bench together now, but until that is done, and I learn reloading, I'd like something (factory ammo) to shoot now. The Dillon, or any other device such as it, is not much use now, since components, especially primers, as as bad off as factory ammo. I hope that is improved by the time I get to reloading.

- Phil

CDNN 50gr Federal, 3400fps. Never shot it, but they have it.

What type/brand of ammo are you looking for? Is it match or 55gr. fmj ammo? How much and what is your price range? Might have a couple local shops and even seen some in walmart earlier this week.

damn dude have you been under a rock or what? if you were planning to build or buy a rifle you should have been acquiring some ammo the whole time. there ain't much out there in the way of match grade shit. it's sporadic at best. hit some gunshows and good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type/brand of ammo are you looking for? Is it match or 55gr. fmj ammo? How much and what is your price range? Might have a couple local shops and even seen some in walmart earlier this week. </div></div>

Prefer Black Hills, but will look at anything that burns reasonably clean, good quality, is about 55 grain to 69 grain, FMJ (for target), do not need match for now, and will $0.75 a shot is OK. 200 rounds would be good. This is just to test the rifle, set up scope, break-in barrel, and shoot a bit before I get my reloading setup done, so no need for extra special ammo at this time.

Local shops I have visited don't have anything I need, and the local Wal-Marts have discontinued carrying all ammo.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn dude have you been under a rock or what? if you were planning to build or buy a rifle you should have been acquiring some ammo the whole time. there ain't much out there in the way of match grade shit. it's sporadic at best. hit some gunshows and good luck. </div></div>

No, not under a rock at all...you just don't know the whole story. If you made a decision today to build a rifle in a caliber that you don't have, you almost certainly would not have ammo in that caliber sitting around your house. You would then begin acquiring ammo only AFTER you decided on the caliber you wanted. That is all that happened here. I looked for ammo immediately after deciding on .223 for my AR15. I was considering 6mmAR, 6.5 Grendel, and 204 Ruger.

I did not expect to need ammo this soon after I decided on .223. The plan was for the barrel I ordered to not get here until August, by which time I expected to be able to round up some ammo for testing the rifle, break in the barrel, sight the scope, test rifle function, etc., and just shoot a bit until the reloading bench is done. Unbelievably, the barrel is scheduled to be here June 15. So, the need to get factory ammo became more urgent.

For my needs, at this time, I just need 55 - 69 grain good quality ammo in FMJ. No need for match ammo.

Yes, I went to gun shows. The scene makes the after Thanksgiving Day sale at Wal-Mart look tame by comparison, except the people here were a lot more civilized.

Phil

Will be going into local shops today, I'll see what's there in target ammo. 200 rounds should not be to hard to get,the scare is slowly letting up here in Ga.

Yeah this whole ammo scarcity is starting to pi$$ me off. And its all Obamas Fault. If he wasnt elected people wouldnt have gone nuts and started gun grabbing. His election helped the gun industry but hurt the consumer. Now even if you can find ammo its so expensive that you dont even wanna buy it.

Not just BHO but it was going to be as bad if Hitlary got in there too. This crap happened back in '93 also. It was so bad that even the archery industry had a panic buy on shafts. Waited almost 6 months for an order from Easton. Those who remembered that started early on saving & buying BEFORE prices soared.

Look in the Sniper's Hide PX: Commercial Sales, I just looked and one vendor has what you want.

I've got plenty of match grade reloads laying around and would sell you some except you live in Cali and I'm positive that somewhere, somehow, there is some law stating I'd be sentenced to death for selling you any.
If I could help you I would but no good deed goes unpunished.

What barrel / chamber / twist rate?
(I'll tell you what a good load will likely be)

You may want to keep an eye open for deals at Natchez (natchezss.com).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got plenty of match grade reloads laying around and would sell you some except you live in Cali and I'm positive that somewhere, somehow, there is some law stating I'd be sentenced to death for selling you any.

(I'll tell you what a good load will likely be) </div></div>

Selling your reloads falls under ammo manufacturing, you need an FFL 06 or 07 license and pay the excise taxes, beyond the fact that he lives in CA. Just an FYI before you make the offer to anyone else and get in trouble trying to help someone.

man i guess it just depends on where you are in the country. my local shop has so much 223 and 5.56 its insane but can't find 45 or 380. granted i know the 380 ammo is everywhere but i just picked up 400 lake city 5.56 rounds today for 90 bucks in indy. thats pretty cheap but its still all over here

Pistol ammo is still hard to come by even here in the south. Esp. the .45 and .380 ammo you mentioned. Are not see the very sweet LC .223 price spokened at 400 pieces at $90.00. Send some of that down here next time. We will take a truck load or two.

Phil,

I am in the same area as you, and I know how you feel. Getting good ammo right now is very difficult and expensive. I've visited several local gun stores and I would say as far as selection goes Imbert and Smithers is a good place to start in San Carlos. You can also try Bullseye in San Rafael. Just be prepared to pay out of the pocket for match grade ammo. When I was at Bullseye this past weekend the price tag on a box of FGMM in .308 168 grain was 55 dollars! All the .223 stuff I saw was around the 30 dollar mark. You can get pretty good ammo at Bullseye but just like any other Bay Area shop be prepared to be bent over. You might want to also try Dublin guns and knives, sometimes they have pretty good deals but its hit and miss and they wont carry any of the super high quality stuff.

MPotter,

What vendor or post in Commercial Sales? I looked and couldn't locate.

- Phil

I found Blackhills "blue box" (remanufactured) 55 grain FMJ (3200 fps) ammo in bulk (250 rounds) for $160 ($0.64/shot) that is supposedly in stock. I would expect this ammo to be suitable for checking gun function, barrel break-in, scope sight in, etc. How accurate would you expect this to be, and would the brass be suitable for reloading. I am not sure what brass Blackhills uses for remanufactured stuff.

I have also found soft point rounds, but not sure how well those would work in an AR15, or would it make any difference at all?

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got plenty of match grade reloads laying around and would sell you some except you live in Cali and I'm positive that somewhere, somehow, there is some law stating I'd be sentenced to death for selling you any.

(I'll tell you what a good load will likely be) </div></div>

Yes, we live in fear in Kalifornia. There is legislation making startling easy progress through Sacramento that bans any unlicensed person from transferring more than 50 rounds of handgun ammo to another, per month. Need to be a specially registered vendor to transfer more than 50. Worse, at the store, I will need to provide a thumbprint, ID, etc. to buy ammo. And I'll have to buy at the store, because mail order or Internet handgun ammo sales are banned. Sales must be face to face. And too bad for rifle owners if the ammo is also used in handguns. I hate this state!

Forgive the rant. Barrel is Krieger, chambered in 223 Remington, 1:9" twist, 22" long, .920" muzzle diameter. Krieger says this barrel is good for 55 - 69 grain bullets.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tons of 223 ammo in my area </div></div>

My Dad lives where you are...Sarasota. What shops? - Phil

I found some ammo for sale by a private party. How good is this stuff. I know it is not match, but I don't want stuff that is really erratic.

PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJBT

I can get 500 rounds for $210 delivered.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found some ammo for sale by a private party. How good is this stuff. I know it is not match, but I don't want stuff that is really erratic.

PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJBT

I can get 500 rounds for $210 delivered.

- Phil </div></div>

Buy it. .42 cents/round, delivered(!) isn't the raping I would have expected to see out there. It is not match ammo but it is good enough for your purposes and more than adequate for defensive, plinking, reloading uses.

I have sme in .223 and .308. It's decent quality ammo.

Situation getting better. Natchez and Cabelas have a relatively decent supply. Ordered 200 rounds PMC Bronze...sufficient for rifle break-in and testing.

- Phil

Phil, (Nice barrel BTW)
for accuracy you should look for 68-69 grain ammunition.
Black hills blue box 68-69 grain HPBT is what I would look for.
The 55 grain stuff is good for function testing and should shoot to within 4 moa (I have seen it do worse). The 68-69 grainers should be within 1.5 moa at worst, or likely much better.
Black hills uses lake city (LC) brass and it is excellent for reloading good quality ammunition.
Speaking of reloading, it is the best and cheapest way to keep a constant, reasonably priced supply of ammunition on hand IMO.

Am I missing something or isn't an AR15 illegal in California?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing something or isn't an AR15 illegal in California?</div></div>

Not at all. You need to learn the laws of your state my friend.

Search the internet for bullet buttons and monster man grips, you need one....not both. Stay away from collapsible stocks (though they may be legal, I'm not sure).

Try finding some PRK dedicated AR sites, you'll learn a lot.

certain configurations of ar 15 are illegal in claifornia, i believe that there are ways around it, like the bullet button, monsterman grip, and low cap. mags (10 iirc) but ar-15's are not illegal

Thanks jasonk.

Well, "Not at all" may be a bit of a strech,

and I need to learn the laws of my f'd up state. These laws?

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(5) Colt AR-15 series.

And,

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

I guess when I think of an AR15, I'm not thinking of what the criminals in the CA legislature think one is.

I hope you accomplish your goals Phil3.