• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new Rifle

PBRACEGUNS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Central Alabama
Just got the stock in and finish assembled my new rifle.
Savage 110 (early style action)
Douglas premium 1-10" stainless barrel
Barrel nut trashed and barreled up with new .250" thick recoil lug. head spaced like any standard Rem. type build
30.06 AI chambered
Sharp Shooters Supply Trigger set at 1lb.
Choate Savage Long action tactical chassis w/ full length aluminum bedding block
Shooters Ridge Bipod.
Glass is a Vortex Crossfire 6-24 X 50 on a Weaver 1 piece base. ( Variable Gantry mount on the way from Chris Self @ Miracle Machine Works)
Chris Self did the 'smithing @ Mickey Coleman's Custom Rifles in Greenville Alabama. He does 90% of the build work there for Mickey. He is a master machinist and a lifelong friend and shooting bud of mine.
I still have to do the bolt handle,But here it is. Been collecting pieces to do this now for about 6 months
989867524_aAQon-L.jpg

989867279_W2Dxh-L.jpg

Range report will follow as soon as I can get away and do some break-in work and fireform some brass to workup some loads.
After verifying accuracy I plan on Cera-coating it Dark Earth or Olive drab.
Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Edit : Just put her on the scales Weighs in @ 14lb 6oz.

Re: My new Rifle

Nice looking rifle! I like the barrel contour also i am now going to call
my smith and have him change the profile of a build I have going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle! I like the barrel contour also i am now going to call
my smith and have him change the profile of a build I have going. </div></div>
The Barrel is a #7 Douglas Finished at 26" Measures around .880" @ the muzzle.
Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to send a few with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 1lb trigger? really? I would be very very careful with that. </div></div>

It's easy, don't put your finger on it until you are ready to fire.

This is cool. I should do this with my old beater 110. I didn't know they had that stock in the long action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is cool. I should do this with my old beater 110. I didn't know they had that stock in the long action. </div></div>
You can also get MCM to inlet you the A series for the old style 110.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is cool. I should do this with my old beater 110. I didn't know they had that stock in the long action. </div></div>
You can also get MCM to inlet you the A series for the old style 110. </div></div>

Yeah but it would be cool to do a super mega budget build.

That will shoot, guarantee it. Good experiences with all the savages I have played with. Good call on the trigger; mine worked out great.

I like that contour as well

Range report asap sir!

Very interesting build.

Time for some load development by the looks of it.

I hope she shoots flys off a dogs arse at 100 yards!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 1lb trigger? really? I would be very very careful with that. </div></div>

Passes the slam tests just fine. ZERO movement at the sear engagement notches on the new trigger group after several hard hits on the buttpad.
It will actually go a few ounces lighter. I am very used to light trigger pulls on rifles and pistols as well.
Like the man said. Don't touch the trigger till your ready to send the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is cool. I should do this with my old beater 110. I didn't know they had that stock in the long action. </div></div>
Found in the Midway Gunsmiths catalog. Took the Choate part # and had Brownells special order it for Me ( dealer discount with them)
Took 2 1/2 weeks to get it from the phone call day. Minor inletting in the composite to clear the sear on the new trigger group. Less than 5 minutes with the Dremel. Loctite and torqued the supplied bolts. It's solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks very nice! mind sharing the total cost? </div></div>

Original rifle $260 ( Gunbroker.com)
Sold the scope that was on it $30.
Trigger ( dealer discounted) retail is $129 give or take a few $.
Barrel $280 also a dealer priced item
New magazine box $8 old one was broken
Stock Retail is $221. I paid less at discount deal
Bipod $40.
Scope from SWFA. $115 including shipping
Rings Around $18.
Base also from Brownells $15 (i think)
Gunsmith charges ( Buddy in-law deal, i won't tell how much)
Roughly $1225 counting smithing.
Bear in mind that is without the dealer pricing deducted .
Out of obligation to dealer contract, I won't reveal the actual prices paid.
Those who deal with them know the actual prices.
I would say all in all it was a Smokin' deal and I had collected pieces for quite some time.
I have a Race Car chassis shop at home that makes me the "play money". And do some 'smithing too on Handguns mainly, general repairs etc:
I really have to give mega thanks to Chris Self who did the barreling work, and offered guidance on choices of parts. Chris is a second to none machinist, and is a long time long. range shooter.
If You have never seen his Variable Gantry Mount for scopes, You owe yourself the obligation of taking a look at the website.
Here is a link to an article about it in Guns Magazine Gantry Mount

And a link to the mounts website. There is a video there with them shooting 22lr rifles at long distance. Trust me when i tell You this thing works, and take brutal recoil without damage.
Check out the video gun mount in the link at the top of the page too. it is slick.
VG mount website

Just got a lead on a .223 Savage action with a bad barrel in SS tonight at work. Looks like it's time to start collecting parts.........AGAIN
I'm a big fan of the Ackley Improved chamberings.
Maybe a .223 AI on this one.

Quick update.
Fireformed 50 pieces of brass Saturday while doing barrel break-in. Shoot a few , scrub bore, etc:
Sighted it in @ 100 and fired 2 5 shot groups.
They averaged around .625". That was with some factory ammo Rem. 180 gr. Coreloct hunting stuff, and some handloads with 180 grain Scirroco II .
Didn't bother with velocity checks as I was mainly forming brass, and breaking in the barrel.
I wasn't being super careful with taking the shots either, and expect some much tighter grouping as I develop the Ackley loads.
I think she's gonna be a fine stick. Now I just need some free time to work up loads. TOO much work in the shop right now.

Re: My new Rifle updated range report

Well after about 20 loads tested with the rifle, and 115 rounds through her, she is shooting to my expectations.
Sierra 168gr Matchkings, 59gr IMR4831, bullets .008" off the lands. 2873 avg. velocity for 5 rounds 9.2 fps. extreme spread, 4.7 Standard deviation. avg. of 5-5 shot groups @100 yards was .483". I'm very happy with the results, and am ready to do the Ceracote on it now. Settled on the desert sand for the barreled action and bipod, Duracoat olive drab on the stock.
Have to thanks Chris Self again for the great job on the build and advice on loads and assistance with load development.