• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new rifle

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Through a very fortunate stroke of luck I am now the owner of a "golden era" Springfield M1A National Match built by Glen Nelson in 1990 (SN 0592XX). It was purchased new by my department, carried a fair bit and I suspect shot little. I purchased a rusted up train wreck of an M1A ten years ago, tore it down, refinished it and ended up selling it off as it wasn't accurate enough to hold my interest. This one is a different story...a nice M1A has been on my want list for a long time and I've just been waiting for the right deal to come along. Couldn't be more pleased with it. I spent a few days cleaning all of the copper and fouling out of the bore and stripping, sanding and rubbing the stock with fresh boiled linseed oil. The stock still needs a little more work but it won't take much till she's a beauty tip to tail. I'm planning to reinstall a stripper clip guide but otherwise it appears unmolested. It doesn't have a USGI barrel but everything else appears to be. Can't wait to put some Gold Medal through her and see how she prints.

BW8U1NQh.jpg

vPBelgGh.jpg

OUm9qQCh.jpg

Very nice! At one time, I owned 059327, a double-lugged, full-house NM rifle. I sold it during the divorce and inherited 024042 from my dad sitting in lumber, where it will remain.

Nice stock Phylo. It also looks like a nice job of bedding. Can't tell for real until it comes out of the stock though.

As an accuracy issue, we were discussing this on another thread, does yours by chance have a recoil lug welded on on the bottom?

No recoil lug welded on. The bedding is nice but it could probably stand a skim coat, it's not quite as tight as I'm sure it was when new. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Love the wood. Never did care for those plastic/fiberglass/rubber stocks.

I need to get some Firm Grip Remover and clean up my stock a bit. I bought it in '77, ser. # 0068XX, as a standard, but since I was shooting for the Guard, Gene Barnett (Barnett Barrels and gunsmith for the MTU All Guard Team) converted it to Super Match at the Guards expense.

M1A%20_1_.jpg

Love the wood. Never did care for those plastic/fiberglass/rubber stocks.

I need to get some Firm Grip Remover and clean up my stock a bit. I bought it in '77, ser. # 0068XX, as a standard, but since I was shooting for the Guard, Gene Barnett (Barnett Barrels and gunsmith for the MTU All Guard Team) converted it to Super Match at the Guards expense.

M1A%20_1_.jpg

Some dish soap, hot water and a green scrub pad cleaned my stock up really nicely. I followed that with some light sanding after it dried (being careful not to touch the bedding) and several coats of boiled linseed oil brought her back to a great looking finish.

The M14 and Garand's sights always looked to be about the best irons of any service rifle out there IMO(M16/AR15 standard irons are also pretty nice). For those of yall with the experience, how well do M1A/Garand NM sights compare to some of the older vintage target/aperture sights ie Lyman 48, Redfield Int'l..??

Through a very fortunate stroke of luck I am now the owner of a "golden era" Springfield M1A National Match built by Glen Nelson in 1990 (SN 0592XX). It was purchased new by my department, carried a fair bit and I suspect shot little. I purchased a rusted up train wreck of an M1A ten years ago, tore it down, refinished it and ended up selling it off as it wasn't accurate enough to hold my interest. This one is a different story...a nice M1A has been on my want list for a long time and I've just been waiting for the right deal to come along. Couldn't be more pleased with it. I spent a few days cleaning all of the copper and fouling out of the bore and stripping, sanding and rubbing the stock with fresh boiled linseed oil. The stock still needs a little more work but it won't take much till she's a beauty tip to tail. I'm planning to reinstall a stripper clip guide but otherwise it appears unmolested. It doesn't have a USGI barrel but everything else appears to be. Can't wait to put some Gold Medal through her and see how she prints.

BW8U1NQh.jpg

vPBelgGh.jpg

OUm9qQCh.jpg
That things a beauty!!!! Congrats!!!

BW8U1NQh.jpg

vPBelgGh.jpg

OUm9qQCh.jpg

Great acquisition!