• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new Surgeon switch hitter, courtesy APA

JB02

CDR
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2011
    Northern VA
    I finally have enough to post the results of my project. About a year ago I purchased a Surgeon scalpel in 308 with a fully loaded A5 sand cammo stock and 24" MTU barrel. It hammers pretty well, but like many on this forum I am infected with a serious case of rifle ADD.

My project started off with a Manners T3 mini-chassis, molded in desert sage and Rem Varmint barrel channel. I was lucky enough to acquire another bolt from Surgeon with a 223 bolt face from Surgeon (thanks for the hookup Wade!), and Gregg Young (aka [MENTION=16989]Bugholes[/MENTION]) was cool enough to special order me a 1/7 Brux barrel with a Rem Varmint contour. Since I was getting the 223 barrel, I thought that I might as well get one of Gregg's Bartlein 6.5 1/8.5 5R Rem Varmint barrels as well.

For my Anniversary, my wife was awesome enough to let me upgrade my 5-20 Vortex Razor to a 5-25 S&B PMII.

I shopped around and ultimately settled with [MENTION=25662]JAR[/MENTION]ed Joplin from APA. I sent all the parts down and now I have this awesome switch hitting setup:

The heart of the rifle is a Surgeon 591/R with a Jewell trigger.

The 223 has a 1/7 Brux barrel, and is threaded 5/8x24 for a Thunderbeast suppressor (which I'll probably get a year from now the way things are going with Sequestration affecting Federal agencies).

223Rem.jpg223Rem Engrave 1.jpg223Rem Engrave 2.jpg

Here is a friend of mine using testing it out from the barricade at my local range:

223 Barracade.jpg

The 6.5 CM barrel is 26" and has a Badger FTE:

6.5CM.jpg

I also had my 24" 308 MTU barrel cut down to 16.5" and the muzzle re-threaded for the Badger FTE brake. Since it's a MTU contour, I'll need to switch back to the A5 stock when I get around to switching up for it. When I do I'll be sure to edit this post and show how it shoots with the stubby barrel. I was going to sell the MCS T3 and run everything out of the A5, but my wife and friends were able to talk some sense into me before I followed through.

Here are some results of how it shoots (can only load 5 images per post):

5 shot group from the 223 with 24.7gr Varget, Lake City Brass, Rem 7 1/2 BR primer, and 75gr BTHP 0.010" off the lands:
    223 24.7gr.jpg

I'm getting about 2750 fps.

As to be expected, the CM is a hammer. I have three good possibilities that I haven't settled on yet; I need to do some more testing at longer ranges (H4350, 140 AMAX, loaded to standard length, 2.815" OAL, WLR primer):

6.5CM 41.5gr.jpg6.5CM 41.8gr.jpg6.5CM 43.3gr.jpg

Next time out, I'll be sure to chrono the Creedmoor.

Still need to try out the my new stubby barrel too. Hopefully I'll get around to that in a couple weeks.