• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My new US Optics SN-3 3.8-22x

Redbeard80

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2008
west coast
I got this yesterday from Lazy21 3.8-22x 44mm, 35mm tube, push button red lit Gap reticle, Erek knob 1/10 mil, US#3 1/10 mil in low Seekins rings. This is my first US Optics and actual the first one I have got to handle but first impression is good. The glass seems a little bit nicer than my Razor and I really like the Erek knob. Do any of you guys run a flip cap with the ERGO parallax and just set it so you can't adjust it all the way down or do you used some other kind of cap. thanks
019.jpg
016.jpg

Re: My new US Optics SN-3 3.8-22x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redbeard80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you guys run a flip cap with the ERGO parallax and just set it so you can't adjust it all the way down or do you used some other kind of cap. thanks </div></div>

It is possible to put a Butler Creek on there such that it is just barely off the barrel on either side of the ERGO parallax travel, or at least it is on my 3.2-17x.
Nice scope and good shooting w/ it!

Looks like that eyepiece needs to be screwed out, unless of course you have a -4 diopter eyesight. When this is adjusted correctly you will find the whole scope easier to use, and you won't get a headache.
John III

I use a flip cap on one of mine. You may have to remove it to get all the way around, but most distances I shoot I have enough. For one I have the screw on cover from USO. It sits so close to the barrel I had to file down the little screw for clearance.

I set my scope with the most usable range and then placed my cap. I can't move the entire range without manipulating the cap but I haven't needed to yet.

I should state that I am new to the scope myself and living where I live ranges I can most easily get to don't offer much variety for distances. So for me this isn't a crucial issue.

For the ERGO I like the screw on caps USO makes for them. Its the same aluminum caps used on the spotting scope. They are bullet proof and before your shooting session you unscrew them and do what you gotta do. When your done you screw them back on to protect the lenses when not in use.

Glad your happy with it. Thanks to all that pitched in, and red...............get offline and go shoot that sexy sob!

I've got basically the exact same scope on my .338 LM. I use the USO flip up covers. Since I rarely shoot my rifle under 300 yards they work fine but if I want to shoot 100 the scope will focus good enough for me. If I want it perfect I have to remove the front cap. The USO caps are an extremely tight fit and a bit difficult to remove.

Thanks John I actual already did that I just put it on the gun to take some photos before I played with it, it wasn't leveled or touqued down in the pic's. I was thinking the samething as SurgicalPrecision did with the flip caps as I am still not sure what rifle it is going to ride on. The rifle it is on in the pics is a RWS built 6.5x55 Swede but it might go on my 300win but I want to get a new barrel on that first.

By the way Lazy21 I did get out and shoot a little after work yesterday and worked great! Only had 12 rounds left loaded so didn't shoot much but after hunting season over I will hopefully be able to get back to shooting every week if my boss gets back from his medical leave.

I got one a while back. Due to back surgery/reconstruction I haven't even had time to sight it in. Maybe this week end, and I'll get some action shots for the photo contest.
It looks good congratulations.
DSCN1258.jpg

Thank You, I bought it from Mickster here on the Hide back in 08. So I can only tell you what was told to me. McMillan F-Class stock, Surgeon short action single shot magnum, 30 inch Lilja barrel chambered in .300 Remington SAUM 1:10 twist, U.S. Optics 3.8X22 power SN-3. The scope I added the rifle came with a Leupold Mark 4 16X. The Leupold is now on my GAP until the Green MST-100 comes in then it will go on the Gap. I had the serial number on the scope to match the rifle.

Redbeard...that scope is way too big for your rifle. I have a sweet 4x Tasco with Duplex reticle I'll trade you for it
wink.gif

So Sunday Oct. 2nd, 2011 was my first trip to the range with my new scope (USO SN-3 3.8X22). Placed the target out at 100 yards. Went back to the bench, bore sighted it, damn close then sent rounds down range. In 3 rounds I was dead center. I thought I was going to be cool and be able to post this perfect target....well think again. Now I know why everyone likes to see more than a 3 round group. New target up, first round dead center. Second round right on top of it, almost through the same hole. Third round turned into a clover leaf. Forth round....out at 1 o'clock. I chocked and got too cocky. Now I'm pissed at myself for not doing my part, so I turned this target into a 28 round group. And yes I pulled a few more. Better luck next time.
DSCN1258.jpg
DSCN1276.jpg
DSCN1277.jpg
DSCN1274.jpg
DSCN1278.jpg
DSCN1275.jpg

That is one heck of a nice scope. Huge range of adjustment.

Does the extra magnification have any major set backs other than cost, size and weight in your opinion?

I'm curious if it affects light transmission a lot or if the reticle becomes a problem in the high or low magnification settings?

The 3.8-22 is in my opinion the perfect setup for practical precision shooting, and with the DFP reticles on the horizon the conundrum of FFP reticles being too big ot two small will be an argument of the past. As they are currently, I have had no isssues with my favorite reticle (mil MPR) shooting from 11 yards to 1000, shooting F-Class or banging steel, and the reticle is usable for holds and windage down to 5ish power.

22X is not really "extra" magnification, but allows a closer look for spotting and use on small or harder to identify targets.

Light transmission is less a function of magnification when a scope is built right. Sure if you crank a $100 scope up to 24X they get dim, but a USO SN3 is a quality optical assembly that holds its own (or betters) its equal competition, plus the availability of custom options and a company here in the US that one can pick up the phone and talk to directly can't be matched by most elite glass companies.

The ERGO allows a flexibility in use that one cannot have with a side focus-changes in range and magnification do not affect parallax or focus as easily as they do a side focus. I set me ERGO to be parallax free at the closest midrange targets in a match and usually never touch it unless there are 100yd and in targets too.

Sobr, thank you. That was some important info I was looking for. My ignorance is vast but that drilled down some topics on my mind relating to this scope. I'm quite envious of the OP.

Great looking product.

I don't want to thread Jack the OP, could I pm a couple questions your way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rommel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So Sunday Oct. 2nd, 2011 was my first trip to the range with my new scope (USO SN-3 3.8X22). Placed the target out at 100 yards. Went back to the bench, bore sighted it, damn close then sent rounds down range. In 3 rounds I was dead center. I thought I was going to be cool and be able to post this perfect target....well think again. Now I know why everyone likes to see more than a 3 round group. New target up, first round dead center. Second round right on top of it, almost through the same hole. Third round turned into a clover leaf. Forth round....out at 1 o'clock. I chocked and got too cocky. Now I'm pissed at myself for not doing my part, so I turned this target into a 28 round group. And yes I pulled a few more. Better luck next time.
DSCN1258.jpg
DSCN1276.jpg
DSCN1277.jpg
DSCN1274.jpg
DSCN1278.jpg
DSCN1275.jpg
</div></div>

that's some good shooting! Nice glass too
wink.gif