• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My noob tube....Remy 5R (need advice)

claimsassassin

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2009
Jackson, Alabama
So I bought a 5R in .308. I read the tacked threads in the reloading forum here and those are really awesome. I had heard of some of those methods and was going to implement them into my reloading routine. Then I asked around on other boards and other shooters and was told that with a factory Remy barrel and a not trued action, plus being a noob that I would not be able to tell the difference and should just shoot it and worry about fine tuning the load when I have more experience. Just to cover all bases, what say ye??

Re: My noob tube....Remy 5R (need advice)

When I got my LTR I shot factory hunting ammo in it for a while an was not impressed. I started working up a load and found one that really drives tacks. I'd definitely start shooting with whatever you have but there is no harm in starting to work up a load. You can always squeeze a noticable amount of accuracy out of your rifle with custom handloads over factory ammo.

Yea I understand working up non factory loads, and will be doing that. I was talking about all the extra brass, and bullet prep that is shown in the tacked threads in the reloading section.

I've match prepped brass and compared it to standard brass, and not seen a noticable difference in my factory Remington.