• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My P4Xi is broken

Bcamos

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2012
Texas
Hasn’t taken any hits or anything, but I’ve been running with my rifle prepping for a run and gun later this month. As far as I know, nothing has happened that could have caused this. Waiting on Steiner to open (they’re on mountain time) and I’ll call to see what’s what.

Well the app won’t let me post a video so I’ll have to describe what’s happening. My ocular housing is able to rotate left to right very slightly. It’s enough that it’s obvious but it’s not unthreading and it doesn’t seem to have any side to side wobble. Just a rotation from left to right as if I were adjusting the magnification. The reticle doesn’t appear to move when I rotate the housing by hand so I’m hoping this is just a “cosmetic” issue and internally everything is fine enough to use in the RnG. I doubt they’d be able to warranty it in less than 15 days.
IMG_4658.jpeg

Spoke with Steiner support and they can't process the warranty claim within the 15 days that I have to work with (not surprised or upset by this). Since I discovered this last night, I haven't had a chance to test it and confirm zero yet. He said that if my zero is still good, then likely the internal central tube should still be solid and fine to run at the comp. Without looking at it himself, he said it sounds like the outer ocular tube came slightly unthreaded and that's where the movement is coming from. I'll play with it more when I get home and see what I can find out.

Spoke with Steiner support and they can't process the warranty claim within the 15 days that I have to work with (not surprised or upset by this). Since I discovered this last night, I haven't had a chance to test it and confirm zero yet. He said that if my zero is still good, then likely the internal central tube should still be solid and fine to run at the comp. Without looking at it himself, he said it sounds like the outer ocular tube came slightly unthreaded and that's where the movement is coming from. I'll play with it more when I get home and see what I can find out.
Keep us updated on the zero.

Reactions: Bcamos
Keep us updated on the zero.
Sat down this weekend and spent some time behind it, while shooting at paper to get a good feeling for how it's holding up. I zero'd it with the match ammo I'm taking to the RnG and it stayed consistent throughout the day so I'd say it's good to go.

Sat down this weekend and spent some time behind it, while shooting at paper to get a good feeling for how it's holding up. I zero'd it with the match ammo I'm taking to the RnG and it stayed consistent throughout the day so I'd say it's good to go.
Glad it looks like its going to work out for the event. Let us know if anything changes.

Well, I'm a little less confident in it after playing with it in my living room last night. Holding the rifle in place as best I could to eliminate movement and while looking through the optic at a spot on the wall, I could see my whole "image" shift to the left when adjusting the magnification from 1x to 4x. When coming back down, I can see the whole image shift to the right. It's not just the reticle, it's the entire image that I see. I'm not sure what that means as far as POI shift, but I'm going to run a few more groups to see if I can discern what's happening. My buddy is letting me use his spare LPVO (a Strike Eagle 1-8) so I can run it during the comp if I need to. I do have my backup rifle with an Aimpoint CompM4s and a G33, but that isn't ideal so the Strike Eagle is a welcomed assist. I've never used a Strike Eagle, so I hope all of the hate they get is a little overexaggerated and it's still useful out to 500ish yds.

Well, I'm a little less confident in it after playing with it in my living room last night. Holding the rifle in place as best I could to eliminate movement and while looking through the optic at a spot on the wall, I could see my whole "image" shift to the left when adjusting the magnification from 1x to 4x. When coming back down, I can see the whole image shift to the right. It's not just the reticle, it's the entire image that I see. I'm not sure what that means as far as POI shift, but I'm going to run a few more groups to see if I can discern what's happening. My buddy is letting me use his spare LPVO (a Strike Eagle 1-8) so I can run it during the comp if I need to. I do have my backup rifle with an Aimpoint CompM4s and a G33, but that isn't ideal so the Strike Eagle is a welcomed assist. I've never used a Strike Eagle, so I hope all of the hate they get is a little overexaggerated and it's still useful out to 500ish yds.
I have a P4Xi I can send you out for the event if you want. It can't come back painted green though.

I have a P4Xi I can send you out for the event if you want. It can't come back painted green though.
Man I really appreciate that! Let me see what this 1-8 looks like and I'll let you know! I'd cover shipping both ways of course. I promise I'll keep my rattle cans away from it lol.

Reactions: Burdy
Man I really appreciate that! Let me see what this 1-8 looks like and I'll let you know! I'd cover shipping both ways of course. I promise I'll keep my rattle cans away from it lol.
No worries, just let me know

Steiner determined that they need to replace the entire optic. I never would have guessed that it was non-repairable, as it was only about 1/16" of play left to right. Oh well, I'm happy with a new replacement.

1708981542241.png

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Its likely they send it back to whatever factory for a rebuild & just give you a new one instead of making you wait 9 weeks for a fix.
In my head they're a tiny little shop with 26 employees making these right next door to the shipping department. I want to keep that fantasy alive lol

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Okay I'll wrap this up for anyone in the future looking for Steiner customer service reports. They sent me an email letting me know that my optic was non-repairable and I'd be getting a replacement. I assumed this meant that I'd get a box with a new P4xi in it to directly replace the completely bare P4xi that I sent in. That's not what I received.

After the email, I received another email a few days later with a tracking notification. They next day air'd me a complete and unopened P4xi as if it were taken directly from a store shelf. The paperwork, the throw lever with both size nubs, new battery - all the fixin's. This wasn't expected and completely appreciated as the throw lever that was installed on the P4xi @Burdy let me borrow had the short nub and I really liked that (my original P4xi only had the long nub with it).

Reactions: Gustav7
Okay I'll wrap this up for anyone in the future looking for Steiner customer service reports. They sent me an email letting me know that my optic was non-repairable and I'd be getting a replacement. I assumed this meant that I'd get a box with a new P4xi in it to directly replace the completely bare P4xi that I sent in. That's not what I received.

After the email, I received another email a few days later with a tracking notification. They next day air'd me a complete and unopened P4xi as if it were taken directly from a store shelf. The paperwork, the throw lever with both size nubs, new battery - all the fixin's. This wasn't expected and completely appreciated as the throw lever that was installed on the P4xi @Burdy let me borrow had the short nub and I really liked that (my original P4xi only had the long nub with it).
Glad it worked out and I am happy to have my P4Xi back. Ha!