• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Poorman's Sniper Rifle - What to do?

OregonShooter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2003
OK, I had to sell the GAP and USO off and only have one bolt gun to my name, but I'm going to try to squeeze the most out of what I have and would like a little guidance on the project.

Here's what I got:

1903A3 in 30-06 that was sporterized before I bought it and stuck in a wooden Monte Carlo stock. $150.00 in 1990 or so.

Last time I shot it was years ago and I grouped something like 1.5" at 100 yards with hunting ammo.

I have an old Kahles 3-9x42 (1/3CM clicks) with a German #1 reticle that is in excellent condition sitting on it that was a take off from an old SSG69 I bought years ago.

The stock recently broke near the action but is cosmetic only. I just bought a Ramline "plastic" replacement from MidwayUSA for $89.00 that should be here in a week or so.

Q1: Should I bother trying to bed the stock? I've never done it before, but read that the stock is a good fit out of the box. Any particular bedding kit I should look at?

Q2: The glass is very nice, but takes a coin to change clicks so I would likely just learn hold overs and not adjust. I'd have to also learn some ranging tricks with the reticle also. So given that, would you trade off the better glass for something like a SuperSniper?

Q3: Would cutting a new crown be worth it? Can I expect any real accuracy increase by doing so?

Q4: I have a ton of 700X and 150gr .308 bullets... any good loads with that? What can I expect for "minute-of-man" with that light of bullet as far as max working range?

Q5: Would I be wasting good bullets by trying to get 175gr SMKs to work in this gun? I have 2-300 of them left over and (100) 220gr SMKs

I'm looking forward to the project and smoking my friend Mo_Zam_Beek and his GAP next time we hit the 600 yard line with my $250.00 rifle.
smile.gif

Re: My Poorman's Sniper Rifle - What to do?

It sounds like you are on a budget. If you are, bed the Ram-Line (this is a $30 project that will take you an afternoon). Keep the Kahles... and why not send a few of those SMKs downrange to see if your rifle likes 'em?

I may be wrong here but i think your going to have a hard time beating your friends GAP rifle. Good lucj though. Doesnt being on a budget SUCK!!!! I have two kids that like to eat my money. I know the feeling! Lee

It may be a little frustrating, but look at it this way, you will have to pay attention to the details of marksmanship, with every shot. In the end, it will make shooting your next GAP a breeze, cause your fundamentals will be sound.

American soldiers had nothing but praise for this gun, and accuracy was never a problem. I suspect with a little tweaking, you can get good accuracy out of it. In a minute, I am sure there will be some crap about the slow lock time, but dont sweat it, unless your shooting 1k.

Hey, it will be a lot more satisfying hiting metal at 600 with this rifle, rather than a rifle made exclusively to do so...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OregonShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Q4: I have a ton of 700X and 150gr .308 bullets... any good loads with that? What can I expect for "minute-of-man" with that light of bullet as far as max working range? </div></div>

Unless the man in "minute-of-man" is yourself, you'd be hard pressed to do damage to anything else with 700x and 150gr bullets. Waaay too fast for an '06. Save yourself some pain and suffering and get a more suitable powder.

Thanks Brain, I think I used 4896 ? last time I reloaded for my M1. Any favorite 30-06 powder?

hasgun, That's how I look at it, surely a challenge, but kinda like shooting 3gun with an AK. When you beat the $2000.00 AR15 it's a sweeter defeat. Ps. Mo is a much better marksman than I will ever be, just wanted to rile him up with a challenge.
smile.gif

Sounds like the gun will get bedded. I'm going to do one thing at a time though to track the accuracy improvements.

If my 03 wasnt one of the "low number" guns I would LOVE to work with it. Lucky man to have an 03 shooter.

I would not use 700x in anything but maybe some reduced power cast bullet loads. 4064, RL22, H4350, IMR 4350. Plus many others are suitable for 30-06.

grrrr.. I bought the 700X cause it was all the local store had and wanted something that I could use for pistol and rifle. Thought it was suppose to be a jack of all trades.

Works nicely in the 9mm loads :p

I prefer 4064 in the '06 but there are plenty others that work well.

I wouldn't use 700x in a rifle with any projectile. In a 9mm you might get away with 5 grains, but that's the upper end and probably +P+. Now correlate that performance with the case volume of an '06 and higher projectile weight. Either you'll end up with a bullet stuck in the barrel, or rupture the case and who knows what.

I have kegs of bullseye, blue-dot, and unique that sit idle. I'm remember someone working up subsonic loads with fast burning powders like these, but not having a need for subsonic I don't fool with them in rifles even though it would be cost effective to use what I have instead of buying new stuff.

The 5.0gr of 700X under 115gr 9mm = 1326fps out of my MP5 (8.85") barrel.

I understand your point though and are listening. Guess I have an excuse to buy more powder!
smile.gif

I have an 03 that the markings on the barrel say was manufactured in 1908. It loves anything 175 grain and up shooting 1 moa at 100 yds. Hates lighter rounds, won't even get close.