• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My press is Phucked Up

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Caught my youngest son crushing rocks in my RCBS Rock Chucker. How appropriate I know. The bottom two threads are boogered up now, and dies won’t screw down far enough to contact the shell plate.

Is it worth running a tap through the threads to try and clean them up? Or is the concentricity of the ram / threads going to get fucked up and not allow the dies to align properly

Run a Tap through it and if it doesn't work out, replace the inserts. I doubt it's as bad as it seems right now. I'd bet a tap and some oil and your threads will be ok and you can "rock on"....

Reactions: mtrmn
    Caught my youngest son crushing rocks in my RCBS Rock Chucker. How appropriate I know.
    Ok... did he at least find anything cool? I used to smash rocks with a hammer in my backyard as a kid. That was a terrible/genius idea... I almost always got hurt from rock shrapnel but I was 100% convinced that I was going to find a fossil or gold or a geode.

I say give it to your son so he can crush more rocks. And get another press with area 419 quick removal plate system. Put it away when done.

Caught my youngest son crushing rocks in my RCBS Rock Chucker. How appropriate I know. The bottom two threads are boogered up now, and dies won’t screw down far enough to contact the shell plate.

Is it worth running a tap through the threads to try and clean them up? Or is the concentricity of the ram / threads going to get fucked up and not allow the dies to align properly
    You can replace that (black) 7/8” threaded metal part in the top of the RC that the dies thread into. It screws in, you just need a really big adjustable wrench or socket to remove it. 👍🏼

Contact RCBS and purchase a new one. Should be pretty cheap.

As others have said, that insert can be removed and replaced. Or you can use it as an excuse to buy new.

I was visiting with a friend and his dad one time... His dad said he bought the boys a little "junior tool set" when they were little. It had an actual working handsaw. Buddy's little brother cut all the legs off the dining room chairs with it... Buddy's dad said he wanted to whip the kid's butt but since he had bought it for him...

Get your boy a hammer drill and some tannerite. 😂

Mike