• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My problem with the AR

Outerspace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I own 3 ARs, 2 M4 style, 1 "Varmint" style, and I have a problem with the inline buffer style stock.

I have a large head and no matter when kind of optic I'm using I have to really crank my head down to get to it in any non-prone position, unless I put the point of the butt way up on my shoulder.

Now that I am in the market for a .308 style "DM/battle rifle" type gun the idea of having a bigger recoil into the little point on my collarbone doesn't sound appealing. If I were to crank my head back down that goes against what I know about ergos and natural point of aim as far as gun handling goes.

So I'm looking into the EBR or the FAL because they do not have this and I can get some downangle in the stock.

However the obvious downside to these other systems are not only do they come with their own pros and cons but there are minimal amounts of aftermarket parts/accessories.

Any advice? It seems weird that in 2010 there are still so many trade offs with these kinds of guns.

Re: My problem with the AR

Learn to crank your SHOULDER up.
Do your bolt guns al have a giant raised cheekpiece?
Alternatively, use higher mounts with an adjustable cheekpiece type stock.

That's the one thing about the AR, it has so many options. Don't try to adjust to the rifle, adjust the rifle to you, change the stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learn to crank your SHOULDER up.
Do your bolt guns al have a giant raised cheekpiece?
Alternatively, use higher mounts with an adjustable cheekpiece type stock. </div></div>
You know what, that does help a little (raising the shoulder), we'll see how much over the long term.

I do not use a higher cheekpiece because I am trying to get my head as low as possible.

Sinclair and Brownell`s sell butt plates that are adjustable for pitch, cant and up and down height that will fit the standard A2 stock with no modifications.

Just FYI hoping it might help

I would stick with the AR platform for your 7.62 DM project. There are tons of after market products and the system can be adapted a million ways. I have a rather large head myself and I sometimes have the same problem with other people's rifles. I would suggest using a riser or perhaps higher mounts if you don't like the look of the riser. The EBR is very cool but rather expensive (at least for me). As for the FAL I have only ever fired the "GI" version. It didn't seem to be the best platform to make an accurate rifle with. I would also imagine precision parts for the FAL may be far and few. At any rate, I hope this helps. Good luck.

Have you tried an M1A/ M25 type rifle with M3a stock?

33257wp.jpg

You can get them pretty dang accurate

wing2h.jpg

If you spend enough money
smile.gif

The Magpul PRS offers a bit of a fix for that but a common complaint is that they are still forced to put the comb pretty far back because of the buffer tube which necessitates mounting the glass rather far back as well and makes charging the rifle a PITA.

The EBR and FAL are both reasonable options whith great history but I suspect you'll end up disapointed with the accuracy.

You could always sit on your hands till the DMR model of the SCAR arrives or (hopefully one day) the Massoud.

p_054115100_1.jpg

You can drop this buttplate really far down and rotate it. That would get it off your collar bone. I have one and it's pretty darn comfy. Would be best with an A1 stock vs. the A2.

It's really funny though. I have exactly the opposite problem. Tall optics just don't feel right for me. On AR's I use the lowest mounts possible. Some people can't even see through my optics on my rifles. I have a very narrow face and high cheekbones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smithc6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if this has a lot to do with neck length?
grin.gif
</div></div>

Well, I've got a long neck too.
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
p_054115100_1.jpg

You can drop this buttplate really far down and rotate it. That would get it off your collar bone. I have one and it's pretty darn comfy. Would be best with an A1 stock vs. the A2.

It's really funny though. I have exactly the opposite problem. Tall optics just don't feel right for me. On AR's I use the lowest mounts possible. Some people can't even see through my optics on my rifles. I have a very narrow face and high cheekbones. </div></div>

+1

Im 6'5 and use one on my Varmint Rig ... Works like a champ

Badger+2.JPG

+1 for raising your optic

the YHM EOTech riser is a great piece of kit for the money.

if you're running an Aimpoint, get taller 30mm rings

for scopes, i use a GG&G riser w/ their MIAD rear sight

as far as EBR's and FAL's go...

i think the EBR feels unbalanced, but i'd recommend handling one and coming to your own conclusion

i find FAL's every bit as uncomfortable to shoot as AK's. the cheekweld is very awkward for me, but like the EBR, handle one and see if it fits you better

Well my 2 cents worth is try going with a platform that has a built in riser on the receiver and use the height of rings you need combined with a Mag-Pul PRS and the problem should be solved. Thats what I did with my DPMS LAR -308. I am not saying go with a DPMS but I am recomending a simular set up or style. Also I think the recoil on a .308 gas gun is not bad at all, but I have the heavy 24 barrel on mine so that might take some out. If you put in a heavy buffer / spring or put a brake on the front it will lessen the bump

As said above the simple solution is add risers like Ynkee hill make.Very cheap and effective....or you can go deep into the jungles of South America and have your head shrunk
grin.gif