• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos My Project Rifle:

SteelW0LF

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Idaho
url]

Project Rifle:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle:</span> Rem700 SPS Tactical in .308
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock:</span> Choate Ultimate Varmit (If I remember right)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rail:</span> Badger 20moa bedded to the action.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope:</span> SWFA SS 10x42

<span style="font-weight: bold">Accessories:</span>
Karsten Cheek Rest
DPMS Muzzle Brake
Cheap Bi-Pod from Wally World

<span style="font-weight: bold">Comments:</span> I screwed up the threads on the muzzle, i cut them too deep, so the brake is loose until its torqued down. So I am replacing the Barrel with a new factory Remington Barrel. 26" Varmit barrel I got off Gunbroker for $120 or so.

I dont like the way that the slingstud mounted bi-pods mount on a flat bottomed stock, so I want to find a way of either removing Choats stud rail thing, and installing a rail to mount a good bi-pod. Or just financially justifying it and springing for a AICS stock.

Once the new barrel is installed, and the brake is put on, I plan on Duracoating the whole rifle in Desert tan, and desert mint (close to a sagebrush green)

Re: My Project Rifle:

Do you have a DM system on it? if so what brand and how do you like it? i have a .308 700 varmit and that is my next move.

Running into issues trying to get the picture to stay showing... =P

It was showing on the sidebar, but not at the top of the post. Tried to fix it, now its gone from both.... blah

I dont yet.

What shows in the picture....if the pic bothers to show up, is a floorplate extension. it just increases the capacity to 7 or 8 rounds.

That would be one of my justifications for buying an AICS stock. When you figure the cost of inletting a Mcmillian for DM systems, the cost is pretty much the same as if you got an AICS.

Did you thread the barrel yourself? If so was it your first one? I have a 700 I was looking to have cut down, I may just try to tread mine before it gets cut just to have the experience.

OW

Yes, me and my friend threaded it the first time.

If you want to practice threading, its a real good idea. Just make sure you have a cutting bit thats high grade. the one me and my friend used that works good on standard hardness metals didnt seem to work too hot. The barrel steel seemed to have uneven hardness and kept chipping the cutting bit.

But if you are planning to cut down the barrel anyways.... hack away, but just make sure you leave a bit of wiggle room. I'ld say if you want a 20" barrel, dont practice any shorter than 20.5".

That way you got some space left to reface the barrel properly and do a good crown without have to try and clean up an area you were practicing on.

How do you like the stock? I've been thinking of getting one like that for my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefty06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like the stock? I've been thinking of getting one like that for my rifle. </div></div>

I like everything about the stock.....except:

My one beef is that the rail stud thing on the bottom does not hold bipods well. Most bipods are designed to go on rounded stocks, and the stock is wide flat bottomed.

If you are not planning to shoot from a bipod, but instead plan to shoot from a rest or bag than the stock should work great.

I like that its a heavy stock, really makes the rifle feel solid.

Good to here. I was thinking about the possibilities of mounting a good rail to the bottom for the bipod.