• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My project rifle

mitchellchandler_au

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Howdy all,
I decided that I would start a new project. I have a rem 700 LA which was my hunting rifle in 30-06 and just recently picked up an AI AT LA rem chassis with the 300wm magazine. I was thinking about building a 284win. What would be a good freebore to run with this rifle? My research tells me a projectile around the 180gr weight will get it done for me. Is there anything I need to look at before I get the barrel spun up on the lathe.
Thanks for your input.

Howdy all,
I decided that I would start a new project. I have a rem 700 LA which was my hunting rifle in 30-06 and just recently picked up an AI AT LA rem chassis with the 300wm magazine. I was thinking about building a 284win. What would be a good freebore to run with this rifle? My research tells me a projectile around the 180gr weight will get it done for me. Is there anything I need to look at before I get the barrel spun up on the lathe.
Thanks for your input.
Find one or two successful end users of the cartdridge/bullet you want to run and politely ask a lot of questions. If your an experienced competitor/gunsmith, seat your projectile of choice where you want it, take some measurements, and after due consideration order a reamer. Good Luck

Good call on the cartridge. I haven't built one yet but gathering components still.

For 180's most people run 0.220" freebore or slightly more. If you're going for no turn Peterson, Norma, or 284 Lapua brass I'd go for dimensions similar to attached.

Attachments

• 284 Peterson Brass.jpg
    284 Peterson Brass.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 35