• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Quad Build (Update 2/8/2011)

Iggy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Northern California
<span style="font-weight: bold">Update 2/8/2011</span>
bignlittle.JPG

Final Specs:
Sako Quad Action
Lilja 22LR Barrel threaded by Short Action Customs
Manners T4 stock with XLR cheek rest
USO scope rail
Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x MIL/MIL Scope
Rimfiretech Bottom Metal

<span style="font-weight: bold">Update 10/2/2010</span>

Just finished her up!

Installed a USO rail and she's temporarily wearing the Nightforce from my .308 while it's getting built. It's really amazing how close the zeros are.

boltlock.JPG

sakonf.JPG

Re: My Quad Build

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Update 6/21/2010</span></span>

Finally I got to add some more stuff to the Quad. I had planned to get the APA bolt knob mod, or the Rimfire Tech bolt knob, and having heard that the RT might be to short for the Manners stock I was on the fence.

However, HotRod9mm aka Bob, reached out to me and told me he had developed an extended one, I was really excited to try it out and I had told him I would order one by the Friday of last week. When I gave him a call he said, "I already shipped it to you. Let me track it... I was delivered to your PO box yesterday. Try it out and see if you like it." WOW! That is customer service! Sure enough there it was waiting for me. I can't say how impressed I am by this. If any of you are on the fence about Bob's stuff, don't worry! It's all good and at a great price. If you don't believe me here are the pics.

Extended RT next to the stock one:
quad14.JPG

The quality is definitely there, I am very happy with knob. As you can see from the other pics it may seem a big long and for the OEM stock it is, the Manners stock on it's way should shorten it out a bit. If you plan on keeping the original stock the standard bolt knob I think will be better.

Comparison with my R700 bolt knob, RT, and stock:
quad15.JPG

quad16.JPG

Side, rear and top shot:
quad17.JPG

quad18.JPG

quad19.JPG

The next part up was the Rimfire Tech picatinny scope rail. It's constructed to same quality standards as the knob (high) and fits great. I have not had a chance to shoot the gun yet, but it is very solid and don't think I will have any problems with it slipping. It's really simple to install and requires no modifications to the receiver.

quad20.JPG

quad21.JPG

quad22.JPG

Finally I got the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam in Mil/Mil 3-10x40. Sadly It's not FFP but for the price I can't complaint, and there is a coupon on the hide for $100 off. I got the scope, rings and Butler Creep flip caps for $375 shipped!

At first I was a little skeptical about the scope, but I was pleasantly surprised. The glass is very clear and consistent through out the magnification. The knobs are solid and the clicks are prominent. Not as prominent as my SSHD, but close enough.

I still have not had a chance to test the tracking, so stay tuned for that.

quad23.JPG

quad24.JPG

The only bummer so far is that the focus on the rear makes it difficult and awkward to operate with the caps on.

quad25.JPG

quad26.JPG

quad27.JPG

quad28.JPG

quad29.JPG

I'm in the middle of building my Quad and it's been taking me a while to gather all the parts. I figured I would post my progress and hope that it would help anyone who wants to build one too.

Here is the Quad in stock form right out of the box:
quad01.JPG

Added a little Harris action:
http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad02.JPG

I got my Lilja back from Mark at Short Action Customs. He threaded, capped and coated the barrel.
http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad03.JPG

http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad08.JPG

quad09.JPG

http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad10.JPG

Here is how it compares to the stock barrel:
http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad04.JPG

I'm still waiting for the Manners stock to arrive, which should be around September. I can't wait that long to shoot the gun so I mounted the barrel so I can shoot it. Naturally, the new barrel doesn't fit in the in the stock without a little modding. Luckily all it takes is the removal of two screws and it opens up the stock.

http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad05.JPG

http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad06.JPG

It floats the barrel the whole way through:
http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad11.JPG

Here is how she sits now:
http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad07.JPG

http://iggycorp.com/gun/quad/quad12.JPG

quad13.JPG

Wait a minute! Did you say September for a Manners stock? I guess I should give them a call then...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait a minute! Did you say September for a Manners stock? I guess I should give them a call then...</div></div>

Yeah! I ordered it at the beginning of May and was told 14 weeks. So that's somewhere around the end of August beginning of September.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you find it?</div></div>

The quad? I found it on gunsamerica.com Watch out though, it cost me $700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotRod9mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Starting to shape up!

Now you need one of THESE.

cool.gif
</div></div>

Nice! They have a lot more knobs now. Those weren't on the site when I ordered the bottom metal and rail. Thanks! I was going to go with APA's but I think these are cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VIET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice.. But where is the scope rail ?</div></div>

I has a scope rail on the gun, but if you are referring to the picatinny rail that is most common, that's coming. I have the rail, I just need my torque wrench to install it.

The scope is coming Wednesday! I can't wait to have it mocked up and in shoot ready mod.

I grabbed an unfired quad off arfcom with a mueller scope for $630 recently. Just have to keep watching, they come up every so often.

Definitely post back up how you like the RimfireTechnologies stuff once its all bolted on. There's not a lot of Quad guys running around posting up about the pros/cons on stuff. RimfireTechnologies is a pretty good company to work with! I recently ordered more stock (carrying most of RimfireTechnologies product line here shortly, just gotta get it on the website.) and I got a call on SATURDAY for some clarifications on my order and it got shipped out that day. ON A SATURDAY! Doesn't get much better than that!

joebob you NEED to read the RULES about selling here and being a COMMERCIAL vendor.

I will do a writeup on the RT stuff for the Quad very soon. As for the APA handle, its $35 for Jereds, and IMO it is the right length. I did ask Hot Rod if he would lengthen his handle, and he felt like it was not needed, but when running a Manners, I do believe the extra length would be welcomed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will do a writeup on the RT stuff for the Quad very soon.</div></div>

Good deal! The quad is a slick gun, but don't see a whole lot of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">joebob you NEED to read the RULES about selling here and being a COMMERCIAL vendor. </div></div>

I talked to Frank (Lowlight) before even modifying a signature. Signature links, for a business, regardless if a vendor or not, are just fine. I asked for a review on a product. I don't own a Sako Quad, nor do I plan on it (got a ton of rimfires as is), so its good to hear from a consumer.

Maybe I'm missing something? I don't see how that was in violation of the rules. I also didn't put any hyperlinks, nor mention business names. I'm not one to try to step on any toes, but that's how I interpret things. Are you a MOD or...?
smirk.gif

just a regular here. youve been here 3 days and your post appears to be a sales pitch. if frank says your good,then accept my apology as we look out for each other and frank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will do a writeup on the RT stuff for the Quad very soon. As for the APA handle, its $35 for Jereds, and IMO it is the right length. I did ask Hot Rod if he would lengthen his handle, and he felt like it was not needed, but when running a Manners, I do believe the extra length would be welcomed.

</div></div>

This is good to know. I was actually going to just buy the shaft from APA and install the badger knob.

Does anyone have a pic of the two side by side?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a regular here. youve been here 3 days and your post appears to be a sales pitch. if frank says your good,then accept my apology as we look out for each other and frank. </div></div>

Nah. Just a "props" to RT for being a good company and asking for a review. I've lurked on here for some time, just never posted. There is a wealth of information to tap on this forum, like any. The sum of all parts are worth more than any one piece
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bebberson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw this, in case anyone was looking:

Sako Quad Action:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174255271 </div></div>

I just bought it! Can't wait to get started </div></div>

If your looking for a Trainer build list look here.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...936#Post1811936

Enjoy that Quad, and grab every magazine you can find for the Quad as they are starting to dry up.

Looking Good Iggy. It is amazing how the gun feels when in a full size stock. You will be one happy clam.

These Quad prices are getting out of control.

I'm glad I snagged this package, locally.

Unfired Sako Quad chambered in 22lr.
NIB Rim Fire Technologies Picatinny rail
Seekin's 1" low rings
NIB Zeiss Conquest 4X32 scope

I gave $650 clams for it.
grin.gif

Re: My Quad Build (Update 6/21/2010)

Looking great!!

I have my eye on a Quad now!!

Ohhhhh man that is sooooooooooo nice!!!

If i could afford one I would do it.

Quads are crazy expensive in australia. $3500 for a quad how ****** is that!

Iggy, nice work you have one of the nicest rimfires ive seen

Looks great Iggy! Have ya shot it yet with the new stock? It's kinda crazy getting behind it and realizing its a .22. By far my favorite gun to shoot and has caused me to not even shoot my centerfires much this year.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I've shot quite a bit through it now with the new stock and that's the main reason I got one for my 308. I was shooting in 7mph wind with Lapua ammo at 50 yards and 4 went into one hole and the 5th was a flier because the wind died down. the whole group could still be covered by a dime.

Absolutely my favorite gun to shoot! I have since sold all my guns, all I have left is my Quad and a new GAP that's on its way in a few months.