• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Question to you, video thoughts

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay, I am getting ready to start filming a new host of video, mainly revamping the lessons, as well as making some other videos that will be put out here and there.

Tastes have changed, I don't see my videos the same way did in the past and want to adjust the style moving forward. It seems people are digesting in a different way. Definitely shorter videos, which I think I do a pretty good job of getting to the point, but the videos are light vs 10 years ago.

We get it, precision rifle is a bit slower in style, and our lessons could be looked as dry, it's Problem A, you suck, Answer watch what we do, now go try it yourself. That might have worked in the past, but things have changed and I need to adapt

What style of video gets your attention, what information are you looking to answer and what format do you feel would be worthy of watching ?

Give me an example, a style you like, or some suggestions (within reason) remember I am not Spielberg with a team of artists to make anything possible. It's usually me, a max of 2 cameras and the want to edit this stuff up in about 4 hours not 4 days.

My styles are pretty ingrained but I can adjust, as an example this is kinda recent, though discount the light audio as I have made changes to that part already, I had to change some RODE Mics that broke unexpectedly on me.

But this is where my style fell, time to change it,

Translating some precision rifle lessons into doing longer range shooting with pistols. In this day and age and societal atmosphere, more of us are carrying pistols and revolvers in the event that a deranged psycho suddenly decides to target innocent people around them. Handguns are not just for "fighting towards your rifle". As we see in the case of Elisha Dickens, handguns in the right hands are equally as formidable as a rifle or carbine. However, handguns are not without their limitations. They work only if PROPER shot placement is guaranteed.

Precision rifle in the civilian world is mostly limited to the competition range and the long range hunting sphere. In this day and age, finding ourselves in a combat arena where we are using precision rifle rigs to face off an enemy advancing towards our hometowns from a mile away is a remote possibility. However, one suddenly finding himself in an active shooter situation, or another violent crime in progress is a very real likelihood and more often than not, the tool that is immediately available at this prepared person's side is the humble revolver or semiauto handgun. Many of the mindset and preparation lessons for precision rifle will easily transfer over to handgun shooting as well. Most martial caliber sidearms (9mm, .45, .357 Mag etc,) are more than capable of placing decisive hits out to 130+ yards in capable hands at a range setting. If a handgun shooter is able to consistenly make center mass threat-stopping hits at just half this distance under varying levels of stress, it makes the ordinary everyday armed civilian into an even more capable platform for being an initial responder in their community should yet another mental case or terrorist sleeper decides to play jack in the box with what they mistake is an unarmed free-fire zone.

I get the handgun side of things,

But we are still SH so we have to do precision rifle, and honestly a lot has changed since 2009 in how we approach our training so we need to update that stuff too

I am not so interested in whizz bang, I understand I can switch format entirely and up the eyeballs, but I want to stick to precision rifle lessons, just wondering if anyone is doing something that appears to be easier for viewing ?

I agree with you on length. short s good; attention span tends to be short If you need more time break it into short segments, .

This may not practical, but I always found I learned better with practical application. Instead of shooting a target on a flat field, mountains, or something that will pull the viewer in, besides just the rifle or lesson. Forinstance, in boring statistics class one prof spiced it up iwth baseball batting averages...

I commend you on taking in the (changing) perspective of your audience. Many videographers don’t/don’t have the insight/foresight to do that.

Make your videos as short, sweet and to the point as possible. I watch a lot of videos on youtube and a common criticism I have is a video that is 18 minutes long, for a subject that can be adequately covered in two and a half, maybe three minutes.

Also, of GREAT importance, use lavalier/lapel mic’s whenever possible. “In camera” mics are shit and not in a good way. They pick up way too much wind and background noise and too little of the presenter.

Excessively long videos and shitty audio are the two main reasons I hit “next” and move on to someone else’s video.

BTW, AKG have always made good quality, rugged and reasonably priced mics.

Last edited:
    I get the handgun side of things,

But we are still SH so we have to do precision rifle, and honestly a lot has changed since 2009 in how we approach our training so we need to update that stuff too

I am not so interested in whizz bang, I understand I can switch format entirely and up the eyeballs, but I want to stick to precision rifle lessons, just wondering if anyone is doing something that appears to be easier for viewing ?
    Honestly don't think you should change anything. Your stuff is a precious resource, and has really helped me specifically with shooting AR's/gas guns better.
    And that would be my only suggestion- more focus on gas guns. They're more and more popular everyday in every atmosphere - from training to competition to hunting.
    Also agree with @Threadcutter308 the mic situation.

Just me, Frank....but I like very focused, single topic vids that are not too long....10 minutes or so max, maybe. But, there are some topics (probably) that just need more time to delve into in sufficient depth to be useful. And I'm personally ok with that also as long as they are focused and don't have a lot of BS filler. Which, I don't think you do.

I actually find most of your vids suit me....I don't remember going thru the training vids and having any heartburn about , focus, content or format.

You did ask for examples and I do remember first coming across Cleckner's vids....some number of years ago.... the ones he did AFTER his vids with the NSSF.... and liking that they were single topic, to the point, and hence short at a time when a lot of what I was seeing on YT was much longer and drawn out shooting.

As I said, I haven't really had any heartburn with your stuff and I'm not sure really sure what changes in your format/content are looking to incorporate. But, I'm getting long in the tooth so perhaps younger members would see the obvious that I'm missing.

By the by, the "Really Good Ammo" vid is one of my favs! haha

Sometimes for me it's close in shots of thing like hand position, finger position, check rest when talking fundamentals. Also, dunno if you are working with Chris, but looking at different body types as well. I know as a tall person, adjusting for the LOP and body positions are different than avg. Chris provides a good tall example, while naturally you cover the other end. No short jokes, but just showing how that changes things can be useful. And also what should be the same regardless of body type

But the current videos took me a LONG way. Not a lot of fluff in em
    I hate fluff.

Ya it's more about the style ,and not gear, I have the gear side covered,

It's a style change I am looking at, as a some of you must not watch my videos, if anything I excel at SHORT in terms of time,

I don't go over 5 minutes very often and almost never over 10 if I can help it

It's the style of videos that has changed, attention spans, whizz bang stuff, it's always an evolution as time marches on

As far as style goes, in a comparable, longer time frame format, these guys are very good.

Obviously they are not teaching in as formal a manner as you would be, but their style is very good.

Good information makes the video timeless, regardless of the format.

In the final analysis, they are communicating information, so look at who is very successful in the modern gun media space at doing that.

Forgotten Weapons
    Garand Thumb
    9 Hole Reviews.

Reactions: Jsp556
    See looking at the AK video above, the first minute bores the fuck out of me,

even with a boring topic, I think my video look is better,

This video on the GAP 6GT, Manners Tunable Stock, pick this guy apart, what is the issue that prevents this video from gaining traction

Reactions: Milf Dots
    I don't get Garand Thumb I have looked at those guys,

Donut Operator, etc... I don't get the CosPlaying, they style is light and fun, but it's dress up, they appear to be live Call of Duty to me

I tried watching a few of them, don't get it...
    I hear you. Just mindless stuff to have a good laugh at.

I don't get Garand Thumb I have looked at those guys,

Donut Operator, etc... I don't get the CosPlaying, they style is light and fun, but it's dress up, they appear to be live Call of Duty to me

I tried watching a few of them, don't get it...
    Garand Thumb is too cute for my tastes.

I like Ian McCollum (sp ?) on Forgotten Weapons. He goes into details that justify the longer videos.

I don't know of the rest of those listed.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    If I have wind noise in my videos something screwed up and we just pressed on versus calling the day a wash

I have a ton of wind on my range and if you look at the two videos posted above, the last two I posted there is no wind noise

Stuff is not nearly as consistent as one might think often batteries that are charged die immediately so rather than saying fuck it, we might film with just the on camera mic vs the Lavaliere but we always have Lavs with us, just depends if they work at that particular moment in time

if I am looking at something else I might keep the footage to play with color, knowing the audio is less than, but my question is, with the effort displayed above why aren't they getting more traction ?

is it style, is it quality, is it topic ?

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    Actually, it's everything..........;)

Any single "bad aspect" can kill an otherwise superb video.

It looks like you're doing a pretty good job so far and the fact that you are looking at adapting to your audience's tastes/preferences is a very good sign. (y)

Do you have any "Dead Cats" ? They work wonders on wind noise.

If I have wind noise in my videos something screwed up and we just pressed on versus calling the day a wash

I have a ton of wind on my range and if you look at the two videos posted above, the last two I posted there is no wind noise

Stuff is not nearly as consistent as one might think often batteries that are charged die immediately so rather than saying fuck it, we might film with just the on camera mic vs the Lavaliere but we always have Lavs with us, just depends if they work at that particular moment in time

if I am looking at something else I might keep the footage to play with color, knowing the audio is less than, but my question is, with the effort displayed above why aren't they getting more traction ?

Part of it no doubt is the size of the potential audience, and competition. for that audience. As a % of the population I expect the # of LR shooters is miniscule. Youre potential audience is only so big. I'd say just keep up the good work and put it out there. They will come.

Dont ban me as this is a joke, but you could widen your market by 'inclusiveness'. LOL

midwest-firearm-solutions-spikes-snowflake-rifle-build-coated-in-a-colorful-rainbow-theme-75309-full.jpg

Yes tons of dead cats, its the fact we have wind, usually averaging 12MPH, so if you turn your head the noise will pop up,

but there is really very little audio issues in my videos, it happens and when it doesn't there is usually a reason, like I don't want to toss the video in it's entirety

Wind is just hard, and being in the field I don't have a team working the sound bag chasing it, it's set once and forgot, but wind is not a one and done thing

Remember 99% of the time, unless you see someone like Chris in the video, I am 100% alone, I film, edit, and act all by myself 99% of the time

Translating some precision rifle lessons into doing longer range shooting with pistols. In this day and age and societal atmosphere, more of us are carrying pistols and revolvers in the event that a deranged psycho suddenly decides to target innocent people around them. Handguns are not just for "fighting towards your rifle". As we see in the case of Elisha Dickens, handguns in the right hands are equally as formidable as a rifle or carbine. However, handguns are not without their limitations. They work only if PROPER shot placement is guaranteed.

Precision rifle in the civilian world is mostly limited to the competition range and the long range hunting sphere. In this day and age, finding ourselves in a combat arena where we are using precision rifle rigs to face off an enemy advancing towards our hometowns from a mile away is a remote possibility. However, one suddenly finding himself in an active shooter situation, or another violent crime in progress is a very real likelihood and more often than not, the tool that is immediately available at this prepared person's side is the humble revolver or semiauto handgun. Many of the mindset and preparation lessons for precision rifle will easily transfer over to handgun shooting as well. Most martial caliber sidearms (9mm, .45, .357 Mag etc,) are more than capable of placing decisive hits out to 130+ yards in capable hands at a range setting. If a handgun shooter is able to consistenly make center mass threat-stopping hits at just half this distance under varying levels of stress, it makes the ordinary everyday armed civilian into an even more capable platform for being an initial responder in their community should yet another mental case or terrorist sleeper decides to play jack in the box with what they mistake is an unarmed free-fire zone.

Long range handgun is a COMPLETELY different critter, than precision rifle.
    You could apply a lot of the knowledge from rifle, to long range pistol, as you say. You could, but you'd fail miserably.

I would tell you to look into IHMSA, but they are about dead.

It dont look as hard as it be, but it do.

Yes tons of dead cats, its the fact we have wind, usually averaging 12MPH, so if you turn your head the noise will pop up,

but there is really very little audio issues in my videos, it happens and when it doesn't there is usually a reason, like I don't want to toss the video in it's entirety

Wind is just hard, and being in the field I don't have a team working the sound bag chasing it, it's set once and forgot, but wind is not a one and done thing

Remember 99% of the time, unless you see someone like Chris in the video, I am 100% alone, I film, edit, and act all by myself 99% of the time
    All things considered, I think you're doing a pretty damned good job. I'll say it again.....I'm impressed that you are looking at your audience's perspective and are embracing the idea of adapting to that. Most don't. And, it tends to show sometimes.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DIBBS

Probably style honestly.. if you could make your vids as funny/entertaining as say Garand Thumb, they'd probably pick up a lot of steam.
    As to how to do that, and ideas to make them entertaining.. IDK. Maybe incorporate some type of drill where you get the hostage targets, and then light up the hostage instead of the bad guy.. that type of thing. All the popular shooting vids incorporate a large degree of entertainment..

Reactions: Maggot
    That it what I was thinking,

We crack the jokes before the camera rolls and after it's off, I was thinking of keeping the stuff in

I tend to pretty straight forward, yet if you listen to the podcast, and my Iives I am lot more animated and tend to throw out a lot of snark or crack jokes. None of that is in the videos

The only thing I used to do, in my mind that was funny was the post credit shots, I need to add the humor back in

Cut to the quick ?

No offense, but dry videos no longer hold the attention.
    Break it up, don't be afraid of humor....hell a quick passing vid shot of a girl or dog, or the car....doesn't matter and might help.
    I know that from some angles a guy doing something and explaining while he does it IS effective....but does little to hold attention.
    You DO want people to watch till the end, right ?
    So, break it up, MAKE it hold their attention.
    Make it fun, that is what it's all about.

I think the audience size for what you are doing is the main thing from keeping you from gaining traction from the masses. Most folks just arent looking for technical training info on precision rifle. If you are looking for views and subs, you can make a couple " snipery fun" videos. Maybe try to make a collaboration with somebody like Garand Thumb or one of the other guys getting a ton of views to get people to the channel and maybe they stay to watch some training stuff.

From your replies, it sounds like you want to make a change without really wanting to make a change, which is ok. As far as technical training videos, they are fine as is, its just not for the masses. You have a shitload of members here, but I bet the percentage of them that shoot more than 5-10 times a year is small, and smaller yet in the YouTube universe.. Guys that dont make it to the range arent going to spend a ton of time watching technical content that they'll never use or that goes over their heads. They'll watch "entertaining" bullshit instead. I dont get it, but it is the way it is.

Reactions: XP1K
    Incorporate some of the females from the motivational thread in your videos. It is about getting and keeping the audience‘s attention.

Reactions: Maggot
    I think the audience size for what you are doing is the main thing from keeping you from gaining traction from the masses. Most folks just arent looking for technical training info on precision rifle. If you are looking for views and subs, you can make a couple " snipery fun" videos. Maybe try to make a collaboration with somebody like Garand Thumb or one of the other guys getting a ton of views to get people to the channel and maybe they stay to watch some training stuff.

From your replies, it sounds like you want to make a change without really wanting to make a change, which is ok. As far as technical training videos, they are fine as is, its just not for the masses. You have a shitload of members here, but I bet the percentage of them that shoot more than 5-10 times a year is small, and smaller yet in the YouTube universe.. Guys that dont make it to the range arent going to spend a ton of time watching technical content that they'll never use or that goes over their heads. They'll watch "entertaining" bullshit instead. I dont get it, but it is the way it is.
    Basically what a couple of us suggested above. Ove all small market to draw from. And make it more fun...good looking babe shooting always brings the boys...Again a joke (sort of) but silly stuff to make us laugh right off. A suggestion I made to friend and member @jbailey about things to do to spice up his twice yearly shoots. For movers, have a guy run across the field with a target. If he makes it he gets $100 and bag of tacos.

Reactions: 101st
    Cut to the quick ?

No offense, but dry videos no longer hold the attention.
    Break it up, don't be afraid of humor....hell a quick passing vid shot of a girl or dog, or the car....doesn't matter and might help.
    I know that from some angles a guy doing something and explaining while he does it IS effective....but does little to hold attention.
    You DO want people to watch till the end, right ?
    So, break it up, MAKE it hold their attention.
    Make it fun, that is what it's all about.
    Tell me you don't watch my videos without telling me,

This is boiler plate stuff, break it up, sure describe break it up... what does break up the video mean ?

I have been to cinematography classes and never heard them say break it up, LOL

, I need to add the humor back in
    Ok, I’ll be odd man out. Please don’t. I watch your vids for information and education, not entertainment. If I want entertainment I’ll turn on the tube or go to the movies.

“snark or crack jokes” is IMO filler/fluff that conveys no added knowledge yet extends the run time of the vid. There’s tons of that stuff out there.

And I don’t mean fun stuff like the Really Good Ammo send up. We know that’s not intended to be serious.

I see your vids as being intended for serious shooters and not a vehicle to social media stardom.

But what do I know, I’m a dinosaur. Lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: somewhereinmt
    Ya, basically trying to put forth technical information its far too dry as its currently being done

people don't want real details they just want the cool guy points is what I am hearing

I am all about making changes, however just saying, stop all wind noise when I am standing on a range describing shooting in the wind is odd if you ask me, The suggestion while welcome appear to be boiler plate which really don't reflect what I see in my videos. If it completely misses the mark it's hard to discuss

Most of my videos are under 10 minutes, I try to hover around 5 so sayin make them short of break them up goes against all the 15+ minutes that have traction. I feel I get to the point, but without humor, it's straight forward, which is a super easy fix that can be done immediately

Really I am fishing, I am doing market research to see where peoples heads are, and it's really strange

It's delivery for sure,

The review of the 6GT has 1:12 of music video at the start, put this at the end, people think WTF is going on here, thought this was a review.
    You wander too much.

Review of PRS Competition Rifle.

Manufacture: GAP
    Caliber: 6GT because speed wins
    Barrel: Long and heavy to maximize velocity and manage heat during 10 shot strings of fire. This brake is by Acme and does a great job.
    Action and Mag: Real simple 2 lug and used AIC mags
    Trigger: Is made by Blow Job Industries, blow on it and it goes off it is so light.
    Stock: Built by Manners and is composite so it is very light which is counter to what a PRS rifle should be. To accomplish the goal of a balanced/stable rifle for competition Manners has added weight to features of this rifle, let's dig in.
    Rear of stock is fully adjustable with up/down/left/right adjustments allowing for you to fit the stock to your rifle all while adding weight to these elements you gain stability you need.
    Design of this stock allows for easier fitting of actions due to the lower height of the side there is less inleting needed to accommodate such things as bolt release. There is also the ability to mount NV bridge up front allowing for NV use or attachment of bags.
    The rail underneath is also weighted giving strength to the system along with providing the balance/stability.

Now let's see this stick in action.
    How far are you shooting and general conditions.
    Show video of you shooting with focus on some of the features.

In summary this rifle meets all the requirements of a PRS rifle. Come on over to SH forum for further discussion of the Gap PRS rifle, look for the Bullet Point Video section of the forum.

Then play the intro section of the video montage.

People want quick hits of info not a wandering summary.

That is what I was thinking too, say something up front,

Immediately intro the video, then post shots, intro, and talk after,

Once the viewing starts I don't have giant fall off because they are short, but I have some, that was something I noticed to state things upfront vs the nothing said shots

I am going to pick it apart. I think the videos are fine as they are, but we live in a culture of morons and window lickers, so....

Your videos target your current audience, but offer little that would attract someone who is not already at least somewhat interested in precision rifle.

Are you trying to make a training video, or one that garners new viewers, or both?

IF both, then you need to do things that will draw in new people from outside of the PR space.

For example, that GAP Manners video has nothing interesting that someone outside of Precision Rifle could relate to or would be interested in.

If there is some cool shooting or a bit of humor to be expected in the video, then they will watch it regardless of having keen interest in the subject of the video.

It is important to remember that most people's lives suck and are hard, at least in their opinion. They want to have fun or laugh while they learn at the end of the day. Its the same reason most combat arms specialties develop such dark and macabre humor.

If you dont want to go that route, then get to the topic overview in the video super fucking quick, then cut to montage of cool shots if you want. It will hook attention better.

Apparently the youtube search function only looks for keywords in the title of videos. Take for instance the video “WTF along with weaponized math,” the title doesn’t mention anything about wind, target, fundamentals, or dope/data. If a guy was searching for those 4 criteria, that video would not pop up. I checked. If the titles of videos could snag the casual searcher as well as the people searching for something very specific, that might help drive traffic.

Oh and a perfect set of glutes on the thumbnail

Reactions: Baron23
    Really depends what you're going for. Do you want to be a children's entertainer like Scott from KY Ballistics or a teacher like Ian from Forgotten Weapons? Also, as far as you video length, longer videos are where it's at right now. Viewer watch time trumps just views. Short videos really screws up the algorithm from what I know.

The training lesson videos won't change a ton, the best feedback on those I received which I agree with is bit more close ups, and some macro of the hands etc...

it's the other videos to attract a new audience as well some lesson videos needs to go outside the site to bring in new people

basically, everything is in place now, the Lives are working good, we can do a ton with that, add in videos, guests we have that figured out. Now I need to revamp the lessons, which I have plan for those, lessons are lessons, they are often dry but I think technically accurate so no real change there.

Like this a boring lesson video so I figure it needs better close ups, some more video inserts with technical numbers, etc, a bit of flash to clean up the boring topic

But at the same time you have to attract people and I think the empty delivery up front, which I believe is being pointed out is part of the problem... I do this quiet, just shooting, which precision rifle, kinda boring, that needs movement and slow mo stuff to flash it up, so editing a shot there. But really I need to say something immediately and open the door to what we are talking about, cuz bolt action, slow and boring ...

Hey Frank, I like your vids as is, mostly. I only interface via ipad but its always hard to find the specific video I want…maybe some general video organization so all the fundamentals are in a group, all positional info together, all the product reviews are in a group, etc.

As for the videos, no need to become a YouTube funny man. Or worse yet, bring in tits and ass to get eyes. It’s training not larp-time with Larry.

Some of the videos, especially of fundamentals, I remember wishing had some ”what you might see on target if this is wrong” type info. Especially for beginners, there’s a lot to digest and it’s hard to know what to focus on.…you see the posts where a guy is asking what to fix because he’s throwing fliers left, for example.

Sometimes the content gets to wandering a little. I just went back and watched a 2019 video on buttstock to shoulder interface. I wanted to check my memory. I was surprised, and remembered surprise from the first viewing, how much time you spend in that video on cheek weld. I went into the video, looking for information on how you were executing the newer inboard shoulder connection. I came away, feeling like I had heard a lot about length of pull and cheek height, but not nearly as much as I wanted to about how to execute the new shoulder position I was trying to work on. All good info…but maybe a couple different vids.

I haven’t watched them in a while, so I don’t have any specific references, but I remember really liking the video content with specific lessons from modern day sniper. As an example of other quality training videos.

Cheers

Reactions: Baron23
    We definitely changed how we approached our content
    if you think about it, when I first did the Power Point for the lessons at Rifles Only, it was 6 hours of classroom. Today I am down to 3 hours if we eat lunch, 2.5 hours without lunch and feel we are better at delivering the message

Really it's message delivery and nobody has a better message it's just getting it to the people in a format people like, which has been changing.

Part of why a complete start over with the fundamentals and lesson videos, everything has changed since 2009 when I started the online training lessons. That is a long time ago.

Trust me we are working it, I have Chris trying shorter stuff, like this here, shorter format, different method to see how it resonates, so basically experimenting

Just got out of the shower, reflecting on this thread

The way I see it, I am askin you to describe something you can't put your finger on, but will know as soon as you see it, unfortunately I have to make it to see it, and we can't put our finger on the delivery change needed, knowing only it's most likely in the delivery... We need to fix the one thing we can't describe, LOL

about right

Just got out of the shower, reflecting on this thread

The way I see it, I am askin you to describe something you can't put your finger on, but will know as soon as you see it, unfortunately I have to make it to see it, and we can't put our finger on the delivery change needed, knowing only it's most likely in the delivery... We need to fix the one thing we can't describe, LOL

about right
    Well, I do my best “thinkin” when I’m soaping my dick in the shower…….

So, there’s that…..

Aside from Mazerblade using me for his spank bank,

This has actually helped a bunch, I can see how it appears to be wandering and not necessarily in a straight line

I was playing with an intro / edit and seeing how I just want to drop clips in vs telling the story upfront is evident now.

I have series of clips that are often not connected I use out of convenience, it needs to be pre determined. I usually have a very loose shooting style, no real plan, just a rough idea goin in, but instead I should story board parts of it better to tell the story then use the rest as filler vs using a series of filler to make a video

So a bit more of a plan, editing in more logical order, and creating a more defined beginning middle and end, vs having an empty opening and then just going off the cuff is what I see