• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Range Day

GNAP

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2019
While my wife’s 2-3 hr weekly home health care visit, I went to the range. Again, for the first hour or so, I was the sole shooter, 3 younger guys, shooting 22 LR pistols, showed up, shot for about 20 minutes, a phone rang, they left immediately. Last hour or so, it was just me.

I shot about 600 rounds, mostly through the Ruger Precision Rim fire, the Henry pump and the Winchester Wildcat, I also ran one box, through the Ruger American Rimfire.

All in all, a decent day, here is a few targets

1 - the RPRF
2 - the Henry pump
3 - the Winchester Wildcat
4 - the RARF, still needs a little sight adjustment
CA04119F-EDC2-49B3-8520-D3C666573AA7.jpeg
4B97EF07-52E6-412E-899F-A3C4F1C85470.jpeg
E0E5AC0E-B239-42B1-AFC7-CD8D094BE3B4.jpeg
6A6559B2-70F5-456F-A3EB-341ECA3DCB53.jpeg

The target are 10 shots each, iron sights, at the 50’ indoor range, its the distance of the league I shoot in.

Reactions: ZG47A
Yep, 600 rounds, or 60 targets, what you see are the better ones

That's good shooting for a good day. Do you try single shots at a target 'dot' ca. 3/4" ? I buy colored dots at Dollar tree for about $1/300 (lotsa dots on a 8x11) and shoot singles and 5-groups at 50 yds - getting hits 2-5 out of 5. Helps to 'dial in' accuracy. I'm using a 6-s4 x 50 scope tho. Not a league, just a personal thing. My B22 usually stays under 3/4", as does my Marlin60. My Sav-64 is not quite as good ;-( I'm still trying to improve, but ususally shoot alone and get bored so get tigger happy. Then the SKS comes out ;-0

I went to the range this morning, shooting the RPRF, while not exactly stellar, my shoot was not terrible either, I ran 4 of my league 5 target cycles, could not get above a 97.8 average.

Two guys, I’m guessing by looks and actions to in their mid-twenties, came in to shoot their 9 mm pistols. My indoor range has a 25 ft minimum target placement for pistol shooting. One of the kids, hung a 2 ft x 3 ft target, ran it out 25 ft, proceeded to shoot 20 shots, he hit the target exactly 7 times, not the bullseye, but the actual target paper.

I listen to them talk, while I was reloading magazines, I was guessing new shooter or a new pistol, but no, he has had the pistol for 3 years and this was his 10-15 trip to the range. I thought maybe the second kid was more experienced, but no, he was the new pistol owner and range member, the first guy was mentoring him.

I decided to cut my range time short and leave ASAP.

I went to the range this morning, shooting the RPRF, while not exactly stellar, my shoot was not terrible either, I ran 4 of my league 5 target cycles, could not get above a 97.8 average.

Two guys, I’m guessing by looks and actions to in their mid-twenties, came in to shoot their 9 mm pistols. My indoor range has a 25 ft minimum target placement for pistol shooting. One of the kids, hung a 2 ft x 3 ft target, ran it out 25 ft, proceeded to shoot 20 shots, he hit the target exactly 7 times, not the bullseye, but the actual target paper.

I listen to them talk, while I was reloading magazines, I was guessing new shooter or a new pistol, but no, he has had the pistol for 3 years and this was his 10-15 trip to the range. I thought maybe the second kid was more experienced, but no, he was the new pistol owner and range member, the first guy was mentoring him.

I decided to cut my range time short and leave ASAP.
Sounds like an opportunity to offer some advice/mentorship.

Sounds like an opportunity to offer some advice/mentorship.
I have massive nerve damage in my hands, arms and back, because of the massive burns (83% of my body) I got in 1981, as such I don’t handle or shoot hand guns. With my limited experience, the only mentoring I could offer is, ”Aim at what your shooting at”. One of the new recommendations at the range, is you would have to qualify in front of a range/club officer, outdoors before you could shoot indoors, to be voted on by the operating committee, at the next meeting. The main reasons, is shooter safety (the actual shooter and all others present) and to reduce the indoor range damage from errant shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A and Eadle