• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my RCBS Chargemaster????

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
How do i know if i have an older unit with out the upgrades. I bought mine about 1 year ago from Cabalas. Today while using it with Varget powder it threw several over charges. It seems to weigh accurately when i check it against the RCBS 5-10 scale. Anyway with the over charges i am wondering if i need to have my unit upgraded, if it isnt already. How do i know if mine is an older unit? Thanks Lee

Re: my RCBS Chargemaster????

It amazes me the amount of people who don't have a set of try weights. That's what i have always calle them. got me first set with my first RCBS balance beam scale. Guy at the sporting goods counter knew his stuff and explained it to me that i couldn't trust turning the little wheel! Jeff

The RCBS units already come with two 50g check weights. At least mine did. You need them to calibrate the unit.

Perhaps I'm misreading. Are you all talking about usimg much smaller check weights to confirm accuracy... like 50 gr and 175 gr?

I have the check weights and i already stated that my scale is accurate. What i am concerned about is the amount of overcharges it throws. I know there has been some type of upgrade. I didnt know if the upgrade was suppose to help minimize the over throws? Thanks, and sorry if i didnt make myself very clear. Lee

Mine is the latest revision and I got it toward the end of 08 IIRC.

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Find the thread that has the tweaks you can do and apply them.

Lee,

What powder are you throwing? It's not uncommon for some long extruded powders to clump up, and cause over throws. You can try the straw trick. I use a tube on the outside of the metal tube dispenser so it doesn't restrict the flow. This helps.

Chad

That happens to me with varget probably one out of 6 throws, I haven't tried the straw method yet but I generally just adjust it by hand to get it back on. What I do, and I know its crude, generally it throws over by a 10th of a grain or two so I just pour out about 8 kernals onto my palm and reweigh, if I'm under I'll add a grain at a time back until it gets to the desired weight.

edit to add, thats with varget