• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My receiver is missing a thread What do I do?

elmerdeer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Canada, quebec
My mod 70 receiver is missing a thread about about 2/3 in, is there anything that could or should be done to it? Is there any danger?
I just had 2 Krieger barrels chambered for it, and had no idea of the missing thread on the receiver or I might have got myself a new action, but now the barrels are threaded
for this action. What options do I have?

Thx
Elmer

Last edited:
...it's common to have a gap in the threads or a partial "skip" thread where the extractor cut is exactly where you noticed, not a big deal. I've seen factory Mod 70 actions that only had barrel threads on half, yes half the action, the extractor side was nearly threadless. They just crush-fit the barrel at the factory and sent it out. Sounds crazy, but it does happen and people will often shoot these rifles forever without knowing and without having any issues. However, I'm not saying your rifle is safe, you should have a qualified smith inspect it if you have any doubts...good luck...

Maybe. like many others, he just wants to get several opinions. Or maybe he's just lonesome for conversation.

Solitude - Demotivational Poster | FakePosters.com

I'm lonely hahahahahaha, anyways back to the the topic, after looking at my receiver very carefully it seems that the partial missing thread (or so i thought) is original and should be on this type of action, as a person on BC forums mentioned, its a cutout under the gas vent hole and is supposed to be the there on this Win 70 action.
Thanks for the help guys,
Elmer

When I was calculating max torque for scope mount threads, those posts have expired on SH gunsmithing, but I got my background information from

Tapped thread depth/strength question

If you do the math, I think you will find that barrels can be tightened to 1000 foot pounds torque, but are only tightened to 100 foot pounds. So there is so much safety margin that a missing thread will not cause the threaded barrel tennon to snap off in tension.