• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my recent AR15-22LR build, JP barrel

AZIROC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Avondale, AZ
I have been wanting a "precision" 22LR rifle for a while but I have been torn in which way to go by either an AR style or a 10-22 / bolt action. It was down to a Ruger American Rimfire Target model, going all out with a custom 10/22 or going with an AR style setup. I could not find much about the JP 10-22 stuff besides some older articles and 1 REALLY old thread on AR15.com, and even then it wasn't that useful. The other 2 made me just wonder how much I was going to get into this build $ wise, then I remembered I still had a complete 80% lower and a stripped upper, plus some Cabelas gift cards and a JP coupon. So I went with JP (basically saved $100 on the barrel kit). Plus I have a few other JP barrels, so I knew i couldn't go wrong, atleast as far as the barrel goes.

UPPER:
AREO upper
Gorilla Machining M-Lok rail
JP Enterprise 18" 22 LR barrel
JP Enterprise bolt / charging handle
Nikon 3-9x40 buckmaster
(Dead Air Mask not pictured)

LOWER:
Quenton Defense 80% lower (have a few of these from the panic)
Luth-AR stock
PSA LPK-minus trigger group
LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger
Magpul MOE K2+ grip
Black Dog 22lr mags

20180911_152337_zpsb5y3kmz0.jpg

The funny part is I was going to try to make this a "cheaper" build.... but I think all the other parts combined are still less than half of what I paid for the JP barrel kit. I will hopefully be able to shoot this in about a week and see just how well this barrel is. I have an extra Sightron 10-50x60 scope coming in for my 224 Valkrie build, I may put it on here to see how it does at 100 yards, then get myself another scope for it, maybe something in the variable range with a max between 35-50x.

The 1 thing I have noticed is the bolt hold open doesn't really work. I will have to find an AR 22lr style and see if that fixed it. and please excuse the "rings" on the scope. I had 2 sets, 1 low and 1 med. the low was JUST BARELY making the Obj lens touch the rail, and so i had to use some weird med height rings for now.

Last edited:
AR cheek weld usually works with extra tall rings or low rings on a riser rail.

As for magnification, I think anything much over 15x would be wasted so a 3-15x would be a good choice if you want to try shooting out to 300 yards or more. If you don't think you will shoot that far, look for something like a 2-10x which you might be able to shoot two eyes open on 2x.

Reactions: AZIROC
The 1 thing I have noticed is the bolt hold open doesn't really work. I will have to find an AR 22lr style and see if that fixed it.

What do you mean by "AR 22LR style" bolt hold open?
Only dedicated .22 bolt catch that I know of is the proprietary one that Kriss puts in their Defiance DMK .22 ARs. There is the Boonie Packer Better-Mag adapter that gives you full functionality (using MP15-22 MAGS) with the mil-standard bolt catch.

Last edited:
I use the 2A mags (black dog machine) and they hold the bolt open on the last round.

Reactions: AZIROC
Kl3309, there was a product called Catch 22. I saw it while picking out parts for the build but did not get it. mostly because some people said the regular one may work.

Flyer, I'm sure the furthest I'll consistantly go to is 200 yards but prob 100 as far as groups go.

Kl3309, there was a product called Catch 22. I saw it while picking out parts for the build but did not get it. mostly because some people said the regular one may work.

That's pretty much what Kriss went with in their .22 AR (probably the same part with slight dimensional differences):

018_0802.JPG

(Yeah, it's dirty.)
It does work (and better with S&W mags than with the Kriss mag). I'd get a couple of those and some of their MP15-22 magazine shims, some S&W mags, and be done with it.

Last edited:
@AZIROC is this the jp super match kit that your using? Did they have 16” barrels in stock or you had them make one for you? I noticed they only advertise a 18” barrel

Sorry, I thought I posted that.

Finally got a chance to go out and shoot. I think ill prob wait another 2 weeks or so before I go out again to do my latest load workups for other rifles, as it was just too hot still (96*) today, even at 10am. Next week they are calling for low 60s in the mornings, so hopefully, that will carry over here in the upcoming weeks.

I'll put the "bad" things first. All of it I only have myself to blame, mostly because I just built the rifle, threw a scope on it and called it good. The biggest (really the only) thing is I had the wrong rings/height for this scope/rifle. IDK what brand they are, but they were a hair to low still. I ended up taking the comb piece off the Luth-AR stock, and I STILL had to press semi-hard onto the stock with my cheek to get a good eye alignment with the scope. Add to that, trying to get the fine crosshair reticle to show up crisp vs fuzzy. Doesn't sound like much, but between the direct sun hitting me, and having to fight the sight alignment, it made it frustrating.

So now the good. The rifle shot great. I put a total a total of 200 rounds through it, suppressed the whole time. 100x CCI SV and 100X CCI mini-mag. Loaded 20 at a time, all rounds fired, and last round fired held the bolt back. Obviously, it being a 22, no recoil. The MDT trigger worked great and didn't cause any issues. Mags fed fine and no problems. I will admit, I forgot what it was like shooting with a mag the length of a normal 30 round AR mag, since im so use to shooting smaller 10 and 20 round mags for my precision stuff. The rifle itself was great... just the scope/rings gave me the problem.

Now for the pics;

At 25 yards;

after getting the rifle sighted in, 5x shots with the CCI SV
20180921_103128_zpsjmyfvi34.jpg

Next is a 10x shot with CCI SV
20180921_103125_zpsjlokhcyo.jpg

and now 10x shot with CCI mini-mag
20180921_103131_zpsnlinlako.jpg

Now at 50 yards, 20x CCI SV the only pic I took was this 1.. *ignore the 5 shots or 6 shots to the upper right of this group, friend of mine who shot it was shooting the same target
20180921_105528_zpsvkmt33st.jpg

sorry, for the lack of pics at the 50-yard line, I was kind "done" with the heat but next time I go out I will get more/better pics. Overall im "ok" with these groups. I know personally I can do WAY better, but I only have myself to blame as well for not checking the scope over before leaving. You can kind of tell from the pics how my groups go from great to ok as they progress. On the plus side, my real scope for this should be in here in about week now (Sightron 10-50x60, same as I have on my 308 and 224 Valkyrie) and the 1 piece scope mount for it I KNOW will give the proper height.

Thats awesome, thanks for the info. I'm looking into building an upper with this barrel and shortening it to at least 16".

Ben

I have been wanting a "precision" 22LR rifle for a while but I have been torn in which way to go by either an AR style or a 10-22 / bolt action. It was down to a Ruger American Rimfire Target model, going all out with a custom 10/22 or going with an AR style setup. I could not find much about the JP 10-22 stuff besides some older articles and 1 REALLY old thread on AR15.com, and even then it wasn't that useful. The other 2 made me just wonder how much I was going to get into this build $ wise, then I remembered I still had a complete 80% lower and a stripped upper, plus some Cabelas gift cards and a JP coupon. So I went with JP (basically saved $100 on the barrel kit). Plus I have a few other JP barrels, so I knew i couldn't go wrong, atleast as far as the barrel goes.

UPPER:
AREO upper
Gorilla Machining M-Lok rail
JP Enterprise 18" 22 LR barrel
JP Enterprise bolt / charging handle
Nikon 3-9x40 buckmaster
(Dead Air Mask not pictured)

LOWER:
Quenton Defense 80% lower (have a few of these from the panic)
Luth-AR stock
PSA LPK-minus trigger group
LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger
Magpul MOE K2+ grip
Black Dog 22lr mags

20180911_152337_zpsb5y3kmz0.jpg

The funny part is I was going to try to make this a "cheaper" build.... but I think all the other parts combined are still less than half of what I paid for the JP barrel kit. I will hopefully be able to shoot this in about a week and see just how well this barrel is. I have an extra Sightron 10-50x60 scope coming in for my 224 Valkrie build, I may put it on here to see how it does at 100 yards, then get myself another scope for it, maybe something in the variable range with a max between 35-50x.

The 1 thing I have noticed is the bolt hold open doesn't really work. I will have to find an AR 22lr style and see if that fixed it. and please excuse the "rings" on the scope. I had 2 sets, 1 low and 1 med. the low was JUST BARELY making the Obj lens touch the rail, and so i had to use some weird med height rings for now.

I recently did a similar build CMMG dedicated bolt and buyer barrel. Very accurate barrel. Catch22 makes a bolt hold open compatible with the CMMG bolt. If your running SW mags they sell an adapter. That combination will hold the bolt open.

I need to put some glass on mine and see if it will shoot groups or not. It’s a 4.5” cmmg barrel.