• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my reloading debacle.... i need a faster powder...

LA_Lawman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
So. Cal.
i need a faster powder.... an available faster powder.... he he... i hear the laughing!

I have a GPS def rem700 18" .308.. awesome gun. moa at 300yds!

but my velocity on the 175 smk is slow.... about 110fps less from load spec

Varget has a near 2700fps load.. but it is a compressed load. I was trying to stay away from C loading. I have a 20lbs of H335. the 335 is a faster powder per say.... but can't seem to push the 175gr'ers faster..... I can get the black hills 175gr out to 800yds but there is some serious dope change. i was hoping to user a faster powder to flatten the trajectory a bit..... whats the thought on this....

Re: my reloading debacle.... i need a faster powder...

Just use the Varget. Why would you oppose a compressed load?

You don't need a faster powder. You probably need a slower powder, actually.

BLC (2) is usually listed as a higher velocity powder because it's slow burning and a ball powder so you can pack plenty into a case.

Varget with heavy bullets is just about the best there is, though.

You only have an 18" barrel!!! The published load your looking at was probably in a 24" test barrel. If you can get 2700 fps in that 18" with a 175gr. pill I'll be amazed.

As downzero stated...Varget.

What brass are you using?

Maybe go for a case that has more capcity like Hornady.

I recall a post someshere that they had the water capacity listed for the different Mfg's of brass. Someone here will know what post it is in.

I also like RE-15 out of my 308's.

Terry

Try 45 gr of BLc...but as was mentioned you have a very short barrel and a velocity loss is unavoidable.I'm personally not a fan of this latest short barrel craze.Short barrel= loss of velocity, and velocity=options.

ok, cool. thanks for the info. i know im loosing about about 40-55fps per inch.... but the size of the gun was important as are my options of deployment. great gun! my next one would probably be a 20".... can't tell the wife though!!!

I'm gonna try the varget... and if i can get my hands on some 4895..... did you guys see my post for the surplus powder.... wideners has some 4895 from britain...

Hi, i got it a few weeks ago.... I'm using a a LR/T 4.5-14x50. i know they config these guns with the 3.5-10....

allputtogether.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitchy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With my handloads using SMK175's, Lapua brass and 45g of Varget I get them back up to just over 2600fps. I'd say try the Varget loads.

</div></div>

Be careful, that is a whole grain over max in brass that is known to be heavier than Winchester which is what the max was designed for. I'd say that's 5% at least over max loading for that brass and bullet, if not more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitchy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With my handloads using SMK175's, Lapua brass and 45g of Varget I get them back up to just over 2600fps. I'd say try the Varget loads.

</div></div>

Be careful, that is a whole grain over max in brass that is known to be heavier than Winchester which is what the max was designed for. I'd say that's 5% at least over max loading for that brass and bullet, if not more.</div></div>

The hodgdon reloading manual actual lists a similar load.... i loaded to the hodgdon load....

175 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.800" 42.0 2583 42,600 CUP 45.0C 2690 48,600 CUP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.A. Lawman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitchy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Be careful, that is a whole grain over max in brass that is known to be heavier than Winchester which is what the max was designed for. I'd say that's 5% at least over max loading for that brass and bullet, if not more.</div></div>

The hodgdon reloading manual actual lists a similar load.... i loaded to the hodgdon load....

175 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.800" 42.0 2583 42,600 CUP 45.0C 2690 48,600 CUP </div></div>

I'm sorry. I don't know why I thought 44 was the max. 46 is max with 168s and 45 with 175s. I thought it was 44 and 45.

A drop tube will let you get more powder into the casing. 4 or 6" tube packs it in way better than just a funnel. You can probably push it a little due to your short barrel making less pressure.

the 45gr varget for the 175 smk worked great...

here is my chrono data.... 5 shot string....
2505, 2493, 2515, 2509, 2503

this group held .5moa at 100yds

then the 155 Palma MK....
47gr Varget... Compressed load

2655, 2652, 2648, 2644, 2657

most accurate was the 46 gr load.... 2580 fps

.59 inches at 100yds

can anyone point me toward chrono data for 175gr BH match....

While not exact by any means, the general rule is about 25fps per inch of barrel.

Most data is collected using a 24" or 26" barrel. Have to look at the specific manual. Say 24"...that's 6" x 25 ...150fps less theoretically for your 18" barrel. Now, reasons it's not exact are many. Everything from environment, to components to the barrel. Some barrels run faster than others. Even within the same brand, length, type etcetera. It's just one of those things.

Given that, I'd expect anywhere from 75fps to 150fps lower and consider that normal.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
My Hodgdon manual says they're using a 24" barrel.</span> Also, Hodgdon's data, in my experience, tends to run quite fast/hot. That's typical of manuals that come from powder companies. They want to show the higher velocity to make their powders look the most attractive, that is often difficult to get without over pressure signs. Whereas, data that comes from the bullet manufacturers is data that is meant to make the bullet look good (accuracy), they usually give a range of powder weight that is best for accuracy, and it's almost never a max charge or near max. Best accuracy is typically lower than max. There are some exceptions of course.

Re: my reloading debacle.... i need a faster powde

update:

I did some more loading with the 175gr SMK...

GPS Defense rem700 PSS 18", 1/12"
Win Brass, 175gr SMK, 45gr Varget, fed 210M. primers. Seated to 2.800

using a Chrono...

1. 2535fps
2. 2511fps
3. 2538fps
4. 2528fps
5. 2543fps
6. 2515fps
7. 2513fps
8. 2502fps
9. 2507fps