• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rifle Eats Everything .... Better than Yours

My experience. Ruger RPR, 6.5 Creedmoor. 143 Hornady ELD-X, 44 grains Superformance, LRP Hornady case; CCI 200 primer 144 Grain Berger VLD, 43.5 Grains Superformance, same primer/case. Velocities within 10FPS. Both loads impact at same point of aim out to 800 yards (in front of witnesses)

MPA-BA Pro. 6.5 Creedmoor, Starline SRP cases. Bullets 130 Grain Sierra Match King, Superformance 44 Grains; 130 Grain Berger VLD 44.5 grains Superformance BR-4 primer. Velocity 2830 / 2840 respectively. Point of impact, interchangeable. Hits are repeatable to 800 yards (at Altus)

Remington XP100 7mmTCU. Cases WW reformed from .223. 15.5 grains of SR4759. Primer BR-4. Sierra Matchking 150 grain. Speer 145 Grain SBT. Speer hit 7 inches to the right at 100meters. The Speer bullet was reasonably accurate as is the Sierra in the handgun chosen.

Point, what Frank did is entirely possible and repeatable with other firearms. However, results can vary. True there Speer was 5 grains lighter, but essentially the same length. When it works, its GREAT! But, don’t count on it.

Note, I am not, nor have never been the marksman that Frank is. I have shot my way into International Class in IHMSA so I can put a round or two (or 40) downrange and hit what I am aiming at (or at least used too) with a specialized handgun.

These TacOps threads always kill me, this one is worse than most. I don’t need one but damn I want one.

I should give Mike a call again sometime about what price I need to be saving for. The last time I talked to him I almost had some explaining to do and I hadn’t even called about buying one...

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlos0311B4
Funny thing how a few rifles seem eat a wide variety of different quality stuff and spit out great groups with near all of it whereas most equally quality rifles that shoot equally well with their most preferred fodder only shot great with this or that particular load and shoot rather poorly with most.

My Mesa Precision Crux is the only rifle I have had or been privy too that is so widely tolerant. It groups ~1/2 inch with most good stuff it gets fed though I would be surprised if it also landed such differing rounds on the same waterline at distance. I have never looked for that sort of behavior in it and the different rounds I have shot at distance were on different days often with different scopes. The other top tier precision rifles I have had or been privy to by means of others close to me have the tendency to shoot a lot of stuff in the 3/4 to 1.25" range until you get to something they particularly like where they go under 1/2".

My original thought on the Mesa's tolerant behavior was that it's Proof carbon barrel's harmonics might be responsible but further testing on another carbon barreled rifle did not display the same tolerance. Clearly, you have a conventional barrel (If I remember correctly Tac Ops are Kreiger) rifle here that has that sort of eat everything and shit out gold mentality as well. Neither my brother, nor father's Tac Ops Tango 51s are omnivorous like yours though. Both of theirs like what they like and dislike most stuff just like most precision rifles I have encountered. Perhaps not incidentally, my omnivorous Crux, Like your Victor 51, is 6.5CM wheras theirs and both .308. Caliber may have some bearing on ammo tolerance. Certainly, some calibers do seem much more finicky than others. I really haven't had enough rifles at my disposal in enough different calibers to have good data on such things though.

My current guess on the great secret of the omnivorous rifle is that it probably owes to some particular peculiarity in the barrel. Perhaps, just the right amount of curve or lack there of in just the right direction. If anybody ever does get to the point of being able to produce such rifles on demand there would certainly be quite a demand for it from the non-reloading and hunting public. Just pulling a box of top quality ammo off the shelf and having a three in four chance or so of going sub half MOA would be worth something to a lot of folks even if it matters little to the reloader who is going to develop a load and shoot the barrel to death with it.

Really amazing test group on that Victor 51 BTW. Like those A10 stocks as well. They fit my hands much better than the larger A5's and such. Congrats on the new drab green toy.

Reactions: Lowlight
I wouldn't mind the podcast but I'm busy AF ugh

Mike R.

dont worry, youll never be on a podcast, it will put them out of "business"

once you and 5-6 other smiths/shooters (i wont name names but we know who) actually go on record

we dont need any more podcasts...

How quiet is the TacOps suppressor compared to the ones you usually use?

Very quiet

I have actually had the Tac Ops suppressor for a long time, as long as I have had my Tango 51. But Mike uses a nonstandard thread, it's smaller, most use his thread pitch on 223s not bigger calibers

But I have is Titanium / Stainless Hybrid and it works very good

Reactions: kthomas
im taking my 6.5 tac ops to the range sunday afternoon. ill take some different ammo and see if it will do the same

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.43.34 PM.png

Late to this one, if I missed the info pardon me, but did you do the same comparison on out past 600?

My Tac Ops 30 Cans are 9/16 by 24 Class IIIA , Tac Ops M4 CQB cans 1/2 by 28 , Tac 70's 338's are 5/8 by 24 Class IIIA... The Clane 12 Suppressed 12 Gauge is permanently affixed to the barrel, The Green Hornet 22 is a sealed unit...

Mike R.

If people don't know what the Clane 12 is...

Here's Frank shooting his Tango 51 with his Tac Ops 30 Cal. can with Fed Match 168 B.T.H.P. I believe...

Mike R.

@MikeRTacOps can I ask what the reasoning is behind the smaller than “standard” muzzle thread? Typically 5/8-24 is the norm across the board for everything 6mm through .308, favoring more wall thickness around the bore. I know with cut rifle barrels the chance of the muzzle belling is small, but why cut more material at the muzzle than you have to?

Thanks,

Sam

@MikeRTacOps can I ask what the reasoning is behind the smaller than “standard” muzzle thread? Typically 5/8-24 is the norm across the board for everything 6mm through .308, favoring more wall thickness around the bore. I know with cut rifle barrels the chance of the muzzle belling is small, but why cut more material at the muzzle than you have to?

Thanks,

Sam
PM inbound...

Mike R.