• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rifle Feels Heavy

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
Heres the deal. I picked up my new to me 5r milspec last light and it felt heavy. The guy said that he had weighted the stock. The rifle with no optic wieghs 13lbs. Is this on the heavy side or normal for a tactical rifle? He also had the bolt trued and the barrel reset.

Re: My Rifle Feels Heavy

What stock is on it? When you say he had the bolt trued I hope you meant he had the bolt trued as part of having the action trued. there isn't a huge reason to have the bolt trued without doing the action too.

What kind of shooting do you plan to do with it?

If you mostly walk out to the firing line, go prone or set it on a bench, the wieght will minimize the recoil allowing you to spot your hits.

If you are going to be mobile hunting with it I think it won't take long for you to decide it's too heavy.

My AI weighs around 18lbs with glass, bipod and loaded mag.

For me...weight is good.

But then I'm not planning on doing any stalking with it or trying to shoot it unsupported.

My 5r in 300 WM does not feel too heavy to me. I have not scaled it but comparing it to my 270 WBY mag. with wood stock on it I could not tell much difference. Neither one has glass on them.

You hurt my feelings. I do have feelings you know. LOL Being from Brooklyn, have you ever even held a tactical rifle? No, seriously though I do lift. It just felt heavy thats all.

My 6.5-284 weighs 20lb with glass, my 7mm weighs or fells like it weighs more. And I weighed my 6.5 on a Metro Toledo electric scale.

It sounds like some weight was added to your stock. My 5R with a Leupold Mk4 3.5X10 in Seekins bases and rings with a Harris 6-9 swivel only weighs 14.5lbs. I agree that weight is not a bad thing but I would say your rifle has had some lead shot put in the stock. That could be good or you could find that it is too heavy for your intended use, once it is equipped with a scope,sling,bipod and all the other bells and whistles,depending on what that use is.

my savage laminate 223 weighs 13 pounds 3oz for comparison

ss bbl
harris 9-13s
nikon 6-18x40

Man, I'm getting too old and fat to carry those heavyweights. I bitch about a 12-13lb rifle.
smile.gif

for hunting, I'll not tote a rifle over 10 pounds all up ... there's just NO reason to do so ...

These days, it's EASY to build a VERY accurate sporter rifle that's a joy to carry, as well as a joy to shoot - even if 'larger' chamberings such as a 300RUM ...

My 'go-to' hunting rifle is a Rem700 7mm-08AI with a Rock #3 fluted barrel, McMillan classic stock, and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope with turrets ... the rifle goes just under 8lbs all up, ready to hunt (meaning sling, loaded belly, scope and rings ... recoil is dick, and I'll not be scared to shoot game with it as far as I can accurately place the bullet ... then again, 120g TSX's at 3200fps don't tend to bounce off even the biggest of critters ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You hurt my feelings. I do have feelings you know. LOL Being from Brooklyn, have you ever even held a tactical rifle? No, seriously though I do lift. It just felt heavy thats all.</div></div>

Just kidding, 13 lbs is a medium weight I'd say, but I understand where you're coming from. I started out with cheaper lighter stock remington 700s and stuff like that but the tactical high grade stuff usually entails big beefy actions and heavy barrels that can be surprisingly heavy at first.

And I own about 20,000 dollars worth of tactical rifles and I hold them often
grin.gif