• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My rifle, so far, with all the tags

mrgreentie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
Jacksonville,FL
www.gunzoo.com
I'm proud of it so far... just need a new trigger. Oh, and a new barrel soon. Thinking Krieger. It has a 1 in 11.25" twist, and shoots awesome with 43 grains of Varget and a 175gr SMK but i'm tempted to go with a 1 in 10" twist in the next barrel. So many choices and so few dollars
wink.gif

Here is the rifle, all tagged out (click "hide tags" to hide the tags that are all over the place!): My .308 tack driver!

Re: My rifle, so far, with all the tags

I've run quite a few rounds through it and it's not holding 1/2 MOA like it was just a few weeks ago. I'm fighting with it to shoot MOA at 200-yards, it seems. It's just like they say, when it goes, it goes fast! I love this rifle though. So, i'm all for re-barreling this one.

How many rounds? It usually takes quite a few to shoot out a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds? It usually takes quite a few to shoot out a 308. </div></div>

I'm deep into the 3,000's by now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrgreentie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds? It usually takes quite a few to shoot out a 308. </div></div>

I'm deep into the 3,000's by now.

</div></div>

43 grains of varget behind a 175 smk... unless you are machine gunning it may just need its first barrel cleaning
smile.gif

You should be good for a few more thousand rounds. Retune your load and you should be good to go again. And when you do rebarrel you don’t need a 10 twist unless you are shooting mostly 190+ grain bullets or subsonic heavy weights. But by all means buy what make you feel confident.

I'm not saying it isn't possible. But, 4000 rounds of varget at 43 grains? That barrel should go 8000 or more unless its like made from plastic. I say "slowly" heat it up to about 45 grains and I bet the groups tighten up.

how often do you clean the barrel and how clean do you get it? Cleaning too much too often can reduce a 308's barrel life to 3000-4000 rounds.

If it was a .5 moa gun before, why not just turn it back a couple/few threads and rechamber rather than buying a new tube?

I would explore that option, provided that it needed it.

Of course before I did anything I would scrub the hell out of it. Given the information provided above, you should not even be close to ready for a new barrel.

JB and Kroil have performed magic on many "shot out" barrels.

Good luck and safe shooting,
Cheers

Great advice!

I'll try a thorough cleaning. If that doesn't help, i'll have an excuse to buy that new barrel I've been eying for the past 3-months
cool.gif

~Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was a .5 moa gun before, why not just turn it back a couple/few threads and rechamber rather than buying a new tube?

I would explore that option, provided that it needed it.

Of course before I did anything I would scrub the hell out of it. Given the information provided above, you should not even be close to ready for a new barrel.

JB and Kroil have performed magic on many "shot out" barrels.

Good luck and safe shooting,
Cheers </div></div>

45 grains... hmmm, I like the way that sounds. I've been hesitant to run up that high but, i'm less timid now that i'm super comfortable with not only shooting the rifle, but also reloading and properly inspecting and prepping my brass.

~Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying it isn't possible. But, 4000 rounds of varget at 43 grains? That barrel should go 8000 or more unless its like made from plastic. I say "slowly" heat it up to about 45 grains and I bet the groups tighten up. </div></div>