• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Russian CM-2 (pic heavy)

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
This is a Russian Volstok CM-2. This one originally came from CDNN and sells for 299.00 with the rear sight and 199.00 without the sight. My first impression was "it looks like a Russian fence post". I bought it from a bud who had a local 'smith make a rail and drill/tap the receiver. Some of the purist thought that was horrible to do but my bud bought it to shoot not collect dust in the safe. That is the same thought process I had.

I gave it a good cleaning. I stripped and sanded the stock. Being Arctic Birch I didn't think it would stain very well so I dyed it. I used a MinWax pre-stain conditioner and then dyed it "WINE" colored.. The dye is RIT (like used for clothes) and Alcohol mixed. You can make it as light or as dark as you want. The alcohol gets the dye into the wood and then evaporates.Very easy. I put 3 coats of Valspar satin spray on it with a rub down with 0000 steel wool between coats. I polished the butt plate.

This gun has an adjustable trigger (take up and weight) that you can adjust the weight without removing the barrel action from the stock. The trigger showed up set at crisp 4 <span style="font-weight: bold">oz</span> and I have not touched it.

I do like the adjustable butt plate. This rifle is a single shot. 3 action screws that look like they should be on my tractor. I believe the barrel is 25" long. Also has Dual extractors and NO safety.

The scope is a Leupold MK 4 4.5-14x-40mm w/ Target Knobs. I used Warne's Quick Detachable rings so I could easily go back and forth from the iron sights to the scope with no hassle. I have found that these rings bring it back to the original zero every time.

I plan on some trigger time today. I have only had it to the range once and am very encouraged so far using Wolf MT.

With the scope it weighs 11 pounds 10oz.

These rifles typically show up in rough shape but shoot like a MoFo. It DID show up in rough shape and have my fingers crossed about the "MoFo" part..........

Here are some pics of the progression. Hopefully a good range report will follow.

Keith

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Re: My Russian CM-2 (pic heavy)

Thanks MM.

I hurt my back last week and haven't been able to shoot it since I finished it. Hopefully I will shoot it today.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from a biker chick to a prom queen. very nice </div></div>

what that guy said... looks really good. Steal for the price ...if it shoots..

I'd have left the original sights, if functional. Otherwise pretty nice restoration.

You're right it DID look like a Russian fence post. Nice work on the stock, hope it's a shooter. I agree with the tapping of the receiver. If it was done well it only improves the function of the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteKnight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great!</div></div>

44 posts in a day!

Selling something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteKnight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great!</div></div>

44 posts in a day!

Selling something? </div></div>
IMO there should be a 2 weeks period where new members cannot post at all. And another 2 months where they can post 4 mesages/day, TOP!

He registered over a year ago with very few posts until now. Looks like he is running up the post count to sell something. I am not saying that is what it is. I am saying that is what it looks like.