• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my Sako FinnFire

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
Shot the FF this morning in the backyard. It was only 50yds. I shot over the Oehler and averaged 1033fps. 70 degrees and no wind.

I pilar bedded it and mounted a MK 4 (4.5-14x-40mm) using a RT 20moa rail and Warne rings. The trigger breaks clean at 14oz. Yes, it passed the "bounce test").

1st shot was a little loud, all shots after that were “stupid quiet”. Shot Wolf MT w/ the can on it. It took about 25rds to settle down after a squeaky clean barrel. The first 5 shot group looked like a shotgun pattern. The following groups each tightened up from the previous group. These are the last groups shot. I had to go to work so I will shoot more later. I know 3 decent 5 shot groups aren't the bottom line but I am encouraged.

Notice how the free recoil group is opened up.

I wonder if the groups will fall apart at longer ranges???

Keith

Sako_LeupoldMK4.jpg

FFandWolfTargetSmall.jpg

Re: my Sako FinnFire

Congrats!
Nice rig. Nice groups. Especially the middle.
I will leave free recoil to the one-piece bench rest people.
Ain't Sako sweet?
Have a Quad in .22lr, love it!!!

my finnfire varmint LOVES to be held tightly, I have tried free recoil as well and it just doesn't like it. Mine isn't bedded or anything.
Isaac

Thanks guys.

I would like to get a 10rd mag for it. Do y'all know where the cheapest place to get one is?

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">email sent </div></div>

Got it. Thanks for your help.

Keith

I have the same experience when it comes to free recoil. It has never worked for me except for shooting the LV benchrest rifle off of proper bags and bench.

The Finnfire Varmint is imho an extremely well suited rifle for prone practice and understanding how a rifle should be held and fired in order to get small groups. I have noticed that minute differences in the way I use my trigger hand can easily double or triple the group size. It can be oh so frustrating, but when you get the hang of it, it's pure satisfaction
cool.gif

I find it much easier to assess how the rifle responds by shooting 22 LR rather than the 6,5x47 or 308. Plus it's quite silent and inexpensive - it's a great practice platform!

KS: Do you have a part number for the base? Did you have to drill and tap the receiver?

Thanks,

Robert

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KS: Do you have a part number for the base? Did you have to drill and tap the receiver?

Thanks,

Robert </div></div>

Robert,
I used one for the CZ. They told me it was hit or miss whether it would fit the FinnFire or not. I was going to buy one for my CZ Varmint anyway so I figured I'd buy it, try it on the Finn first. It fit mine perfectly so I left it on there and bought another one for the CZ.

No drilling/tapping. It slides on the rail and then has 6 set screws to hold it in place. It's a crap shot wheterh it would fit yours or not.

This is the one I use: http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=19018
Keith

Your free recoil group opened up because of the bipod. I shot IR50/50 for several yrs with a tricked up Finnfire. All my bipod rifles have to be shot with firm pressure on my shoulder. We ALL shot competition free recoil, but had different stk designs and shot off a rest. I picked up a varmint stk like yours in pic and shoot a Lilja Bbl, sold my Jewell trigger which I now regret but the factory trigger does very well. Finnfires are a very good 22. Regards krw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your free recoil group opened up because of the bipod. I shot IR50/50 for several yrs with a tricked up Finnfire. All my bipod rifles have to be shot with firm pressure on my shoulder. We ALL shot competition free recoil, but had different stk designs and shot off a rest. I picked up a varmint stk like yours in pic and shoot a Lilja Bbl, sold my Jewell trigger which I now regret but the factory trigger does very well. Finnfires are a very good 22. Regards krw </div></div>

That day I was shooting off of a front rest and rear bag. Probably my technique (or lack there of....) more than anything.

Keith