• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Savage MSR-10 Hunter

Pen & Sword Life

25 years army, now a happy civilian
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2021
Denmark
www.instagram.com
It has arrived!

Savage MSR-10 Hunter for (long) range-time as well as hunting. The fall is gonna be good šŸ˜Š

SETUP:
ā€¢ SAVAGE MSR-10 16ā€ 308W
ā€¢ SPUHR MOUNT 3016 + Sightmark Citadel 3-18x50 MR2
ā€¢ Spuht Mount A-0011 + Sightmark Mini Shot M-Spec
ā€¢ Magpul AFG & BIPOD & CTR STOCK

In the process of getting a suppressor from Nielsen Sonic (Danish suppressor company) as well as a Larue RISR.
I also plan on getting a Magpul MOE K2-XL Grip, because I got shovel-size hands.

When going for a new rifle I wanted something that would be fairly compact and with a great deal of modular properties...... That and "just because".

Muscle memory-wise the rifle makes sense too, as I have used M4/Colt Diemaco type rifles for 20 in the Danish Army.

I was highly inspired to buy this particular type of rifle after the review from Small Arms Solutions: Savage MSR-10 Hunter

I hope to be hitting the range with this rifle very soon, if not this week then next week at the latest. Doing the whole cronograph thing with both training and hunting ammo, with and without suppressor. I want to get the right data to put in my Strelok app.

Once I have had some range time with the rifle, I will throw in some more videos and pictures in this thread.

Attachments

• SNIPERS HIDE 1.jpg
    SNIPERS HIDE 1.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 251
  • SNIPERS HIDE 2.jpg
    SNIPERS HIDE 2.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 238
  • SNIPERS HIDE 3.jpg
    SNIPERS HIDE 3.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 239
  • SNIPERS HIDE 4.jpg
    SNIPERS HIDE 4.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 242
Having been to the range a couple of times now, I can only say: This is a fine rifle. It's not broken in fully, but so far the rifle has run smoothly and has fired sub-moa's straight out of the box.

Geco is a German ammo brand and it's bloody amazing, flat trajectories and good penetrating and expansion capabilities. I shot a red deer with this ammo last year, it dropped on the spot. If you can get this brand in the US, go ahead and try it.

At the end of range time today I fired couple of the Sonic Ballistic Hunt just to confirm zero on this season's hunting ammo. Not wanting to waste precious hunting ammo, I opted for two rounds (trusting the placement) and made my final 1/10 mil right click.

I'm sure I can pull them in tighter but it was raining cats and dogs, so I didn't want to spend more time outside (insert sad whiney noises :) )
High (sub-MOA) spread is shooter based not ammo's fault.

The round has a V/0: 2887 FPS & E/0: 3764 Joules, good for the relative short barrel of my Savage.
For further info on the bullet, here's link to the company website: Sonic Ballistic Hunt

The suppressor from Nielsen Gunparts is fantastic and looks like it was made for the Savage MSR-10. It's a Danish company not far from where I live, walk-in sales at their production facility and at a price of 246$.

From an American friend I understand this is unheard of in the US?

Link for my IG with a short slow-mo video of the suppressor: Nielsen Sonic 45 Compact

Attachments

• 308W Nielsen Sonic Ballistic Hunt 150 gr all brass.jpg
    308W Nielsen Sonic Ballistic Hunt 150 gr all brass.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 308W Geco Express 165 gr plastic tip hollowpoint 2.jpg
    308W Geco Express 165 gr plastic tip hollowpoint 2.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 88
  • 308W Geco Express 165 gr plastic tip hollowpoint 1.jpg
    308W Geco Express 165 gr plastic tip hollowpoint 1.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
For anyone wanting to watch an indepth review and pratical test, watch this video , it's filmed in South Africa and shows animals shot with the Sonic Ballistic Hunt. It also shows detailed autopsy of the game killed, further documenting the efficiency of the round.

I have been a little quiet about my Savage so far, but the rifle is bloody awesome.

Fairly easy, it shoots sub-moa with both bulk FMJ and match grade as well. Until now I have been shooting various grains of bullets ranging between 140-170 grain.

At my local range I have managed to acquire 308W 140 grains RRLP (Frangible) and it shoots marvellously well out of the 18" barrel. It shoots flat and zeroed at 100m, it only needs 1.1 MRAD up adjustment at 300m. Shoots sub-MOA at 300m.
Video

While wet clay and cantilopes are not close to ballistic gelatine, they do give an idea of the terminal capabilities of the 140 Grain RRLP.
The block of clay was absolutely destroyed byt the round and while seemingly passing clean through the melon, the compressed powder in the round made a on cone/wound channel thoughout the melon.

The round is a police surplus and would likely make an equally well security as well as hunting round - Shot placement being key in either case.
I have been told the round is a Norma, can't verify it though. However, the round also resembles a similar type 140 grain Barnes.

The Curious George side of me had to pry out a projectile and smash it apart :)

Similarly I have been shooting Geco Expres 165 grain also printing sub-MOA (.35 - .40) at 300m.
Hunting wise I have used this round with good effect, amongst others dropping a big red deee last december (although out of a different rifle than this.

Attachments

• x6.jpg
    x6.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 75
  • x5.jpg
    x5.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 81
  • x4.jpg
    x4.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 78
  • x3.jpg
    x3.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 68
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 73
  • x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 61
Pretty cool and sounds great. Did I read correctly that you aee getting sub moa, across weights with bulk fmj?

Pretty cool and sounds great. Did I read correctly that you aee getting sub moa, across weights with bulk fmj?
Yup, that is corect. Not all the time with the FMJ but more often than not, otherwise it might go into 1.5-1.75 MOA. So far I have used GGG from Lithuania, but that well has dried up.
Recently got my hands on some Danish Army surplus FMJ (Stated to be match), looking forward to try that too.

Obviously I get better results (consecutively) with the hunting ammo from Geco or the RRLP. The picture is from yesterday at 300m with the 140 grain RRLP. Hit # 4 is shooter error.

Attachments

• RRLP shot group.jpg
    RRLP shot group.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 78
Went on a hunt at the end of 2021 and got this young roebuck with my MSR-10 using the 140 grain RRLP round. Hit the deer running at 55 meters and it succumbed less than 10 meters from where it was hit. The round did its' job well.
DSC_1985_edited 1.jpg

Reactions: AXEFORCE6