• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My SBR Build

CE1371

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
AZ/CO
Want to put together my first AR15 as a deployment present to myself and I thought I'd see if you guys had any suggestions on my plans. Use for plinking, 3 gun, home defense. Max range of 300m

Flat top AR

11.5" barrel group with gas block (No GI front sight. Suggestions on brand, rate of twist? I want to use LC 5.56 m855 62gr surplus ammo)

free float rail system (what length of rail system would you suggest? I want at least a little bit of barrel clearance not including the flash hider

Troy BUIS

Micro T1 w/larue mount (absolute co-witness or 1/3 co-witness?)

Magpul UBR stock (I plan to have a full size upper later on and the UBR seems like a good "jack of all trades")

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms? Thanks for your time.

Re: My SBR Build

After having a stealth upper, I am a big fan of Larue handguards. I think a 10.0 would give you just the right amount of barrel.

I have a 7 inch Daniel defense omega x rail on a 10.5 Noveske switchblock upper that I love. If you don't plan on running the gun suppressed I would get a low pro gas block and a longer rail that covers it. My T1 with an absolute co-witness works great. If you are one to always run with your irons up get the lower 1/3. If not you will be fine with an absolute co-witness set up. You cant go wrong with the UBR. Just my $0.02.

I like the KAC URXII rail system here's my BCM 11.5". Go with BCM stuff you can't go wrong 6000 rounds later and survived 5 carbine classes. I like the ACS better than the UBR, but that's just me
wink.gif

URXII.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want to put together my first AR15 as a deployment present to myself and I thought I'd see if you guys had any suggestions on my plans. Use for plinking, 3 gun, home defense. Max range of 300m

Flat top AR

11.5" barrel group with gas block (No GI front sight. Suggestions on brand, rate of twist? I want to use LC 5.56 m855 62gr surplus ammo)

free float rail system (what length of rail system would you suggest? I want at least a little bit of barrel clearance not including the flash hider

Troy BUIS

Magpul UBR stock (I plan to have a full size upper later on and the UBR seems like a good "jack of all trades")

</div></div>
mine would be close to what you are wanting to do but mine has a suppressor on the end.

875032687_photobucket_27879_.jpg

11.5" Sabre barrel with a DD Lite 10" rail that has been milled down a little for clearance for the suppressor.

Sights are Troy HK Height and so is the T1 mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want to put together my first AR15 as a deployment present to myself and I thought I'd see if you guys had any suggestions on my plans. Use for plinking, 3 gun, home defense. Max range of 300m

Flat top AR

Troy BUIS

</div></div>

with 11.5" barrel i'd say a 10" rail..
for a gas block i recommend a YHM low pro gas block..
most barrels in 11.5" length will have a 1/7 or 1/8 twist..
troy buis.. work great.. if you haven't looked into the DOA buis.. look into those..
mirco T1.. works great, just like the m68.. but lighter weight.. up to you on the co-witness, 1/3 co-witness..
magpul ubr stock is a great stock.. not my favorite.. but if it fits you.. then i say go for it..

Hey guys, really appreciate the advice, thanks.

pic of my sbr 10.5"

DSC02185.jpg

pic of my sbr toilet bowl cleaner

DSC02189.jpg

Lazy21, you forgot to turn on the Surefire to see all the stubborn stains you miss with regular reading room light....