• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My Schmidt & Bender needs repairs

alexander66

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2004
Fernley, Nevada 89408
Yes, I believe my Schmidt & Bender needs to go in for repairs. The scope is a 5 -25 PM II, (two years old), it sits on my Accuracy International At rifle in 6.5 CM. I noticed this issue with a fish eye type spot on the inside on the glass (see picture). For those of you that have dealt with repair in the past. My big question is, how long is the wait? and is it a big hassle in dealing with their customer service? The rifle and scope have been sitting in my safe for about 2 months. What do you think it is?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1580451739324.png
    1580451739324.png
    318.3 KB · Views: 374
S&B had a batch of 5-25's (about 2-3 years ago) that had an issue with the batch of grease. I had one too. I lived right around the corner from the service center so I dropped it off and picked it up a few days later. Call and talk to Jerry, he'll get you squared away and the scope will come back better than new.

the same think with internal grease I saw at friends March FFP 5-40x56 scope. He thought about lens damage (crack), but it was inside tube and in the inner area of FOV. He left the scope this way, because sending it to Japan from Europe after warranty would be expensive.

Jerry is the man and will get you taken care of fast.

the same think with internal grease I saw at friends March FFP 5-40x56 scope. He thought about lens damage (crack), but it was inside tube and in the inner area of FOV. He left the scope this way, because sending it to Japan from Europe after warranty would be expensive.

With regard to March, this would be a manufacturers defect which they cover for life, I would have your friend inquire with March in Japan as they are making an effort to ensure quick turnaround time especially for overseas customers.

Reactions: beenjammin
A lot of scope distributors were pissed off because SB-Germany made EuroOptic their sole US distributor. Rightfully so in most cases haha I’d probably be upset if I was a distributor and lost money due to the decision.

HOWEVER, make no mistake that SB service in Winchester, VA is top notch Jerry and Randy will go above and beyond to make sure your stuff is squared away.

My PMII has the similar issue in 2018: there was a spot in the image (it is possibly just an oil drop spill on the lens). I called Schmidt Bender USA and sent it back for service. It came back surprisingly fast, within 2 weeks if I recall correctly, the problem was fixed and the whole process was completely free. I'd say Schmidt's customer service is a A+ for me.

S&B had a batch of 5-25's (about 2-3 years ago) that had an issue with the batch of grease. I had one too. I lived right around the corner from the service center so I dropped it off and picked it up a few days later. Call and talk to Jerry, he'll get you squared away and the scope will come back better than new.

I had a Canon camera that did exactly that, it was the same thing, grease dot from manufacturing

I had one 3 years ago with a few spots.
Sent it in, they paid shipping both ways, even did some "repairs" that the tech thought it needed (he thought the parallax knob was too stiff) and had it back to me the following week.

Didnt cost me a dime short of dropping it off at UPS.

Dog piling on the amazing C&S from Jerry and Randy here at S&B in NoVa. They'll take care of you. 110% professionals.

I thought the Schmidt & Bender guys always told the Vortex guys that the best warranty is the one that is never needed. Maybe that was from the Nightforce guys. I get confused sometimes ??‍♂️

ive sent two of my PM2s in three times for scope defects.

Sent 1 of my 8 total Gen2s I’ve owned in for repair of damage I caused. Most of the people bitching about vortex buy their $100 scopes or don’t actually own any of their products. Notice how everyone here is giving kudos to S&B warranty department ;)

Reactions: bogey
Drove up to Winchester to drop mine off with Jerry here a while back for the same exact issue. I talked with him about it for a while and they have a newer, less temperature sensitive grease to replace the one that spatters. He said something about the price of the new grease being a few hundred Euros per ounce or something, and my eyes glazed over.

They'll tear the whole thing down, clean out all of the old grease and replace it with the new stuff, along with a fresh purge and cal of course.

You'll be fine sending it in - as has been said 1000 times, Jerry is top notch.

I thought the Schmidt & Bender guys always told the Vortex guys that the best warranty is the one that is never needed. Maybe that was from the Nightforce guys. I get confused sometimes ??‍♂️
Nightforce is best most durable scope.
52388AA4-747E-4754-A934-C4134B964736.jpeg

I vote grease spot.

My Premier has them on occasion.

It shouldn't be there and if it drives you batshit send it in, they will clean it.

If you can live with it or need your scope in the moment just carry on.

tell that to my NEW dead on arrival 7-35x ATACR. Couldn’t use the scope because the zero clutch was frozen. Would not move with the 4 set screws loosened.
but hey if you want to use your scope to nail fence post, it’ll do that.

Sounds like user error. We’re you trying to turn it clockwise or something

Welp, NF and SB are trash and not worth the money because there are people who needed to use their warranty service. True #OperatorAFOptics shouldn’t need to offer a warranty because they won’t ever break. Nothing but a waste of money apparently. ??‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
S&B handled my repair in less then 2 weeks from the day i shipped it to them. Like most things in life it's not IF it's when will it break!!

Sounds like user error. We’re you trying to turn it clockwise or something
He is right. Lol. There are several threads on here where guys were getting brand new 7-35x56 that were stuck. The only fix is a trip to NightForce. Several guys.