• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My shilen barrel!! I am a little shocked!!

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I have only had this barrel for about a month now and i did a modified brake in. 15 shots cleaning after every shot. I shot about 20 rounds through the barrel this week and just now got around to cleaning the barrel. The barrel was full of copper. It took quite a few patches and a good brushing to get it all out. Rifle shot ok and all else is ok. I was just a little shocked to see so much copper in an expensive barrel. I fired 40 shots through my Krieger barrel the same day, and while cleaning it today there wasn't any copper. Well maybe a small trace, but not much really at all!! These are my first customs barrels so i dont have any experience to base anything from, so i thought i might see what you more experienced fellas think. Will the shilen slick up after some more use, and is copper pretty normal? I know it is for a Remington barrel. The shilen wasn't as bad as some of my Remington barrels just more than i thought i would have seen. Lee

Re: My shilen barrel!! I am a little shocked!!

You can not compare a Krieger to a Shilen. I wouldnt call a Shillen a custom barrel either, maybe semi custom.

If the copper fouling does not improve over time, you can shoot Tubb's final finish through it to smoot out the bore a bit.

I thought shilen barrels were great barrels? I am glad i just bought another kriegor for my 22BR build!! Lee

shilens are ok, but they are not on par with the krieger/bartlein/obermeyer/etc. barrels IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shilens are ok, but they are not on par with the krieger/bartlein/obermeyer/etc. barrels IMHO. </div></div>

You forgot Rock!
wink.gif

there are shilen barrels ...then there are shilen SELECT barrels...the select barrels come straight taper....the blanks look like a truck axle, but are lapped...the ratchet cut ones are the schnitz......

I assumed that this was a select barrel. The barrel came from brunos and the lady on the phone said that they only stock the best shilen barrels. My barrel is Stainless HV 1250 to 900 Lee

Straight from the "horses' mouth". They hand lap BOTH of their grades of barrels. I have a "match grade" on my 22-250 AI and I cant get any copper removing foam to turn blue no matter how many times I have shot it (only up to 40 between cleanings).

Products::Rifle Barrels::Barrel Grades

Select Match Grade
These stainless steel masterpieces of machining and hand lapping are intended for the competition shooter-- or even the hunter-- who wants the ultimate in accuracy and quality. These are our highest grade barrel and, of course, the most costly. What makes them so good that benchrest shooters, such as Tony Boyer, crave them? Consider this: To meet Select Match Grade criteria, the groove diameter must air gauge within .0003" of our standard diameter. Moreover, the uniformity of the bore cannot vary more than .0001" for the entire length of the barrel. These barrels are also completely stress relieved, and the bore is polished to a gleaming surface finish by our most experienced lappers.

Match Grade
Our Match Grade barrels don't quite meet Select Match criteria-- but not by much! In these barrels, the bore must measure within .0005" of our standard diameter and cannot vary in diameter more than .0003" for the length of the barrel. So how much accuracy does a couple of "tenths" give away, compared to our Select Match barrels? Perhaps not any! The point is, whether or not there is any real difference in the accuracy potential between the Match and Select Match grades, the really demanding shooter must play it safe and go with the higher grade. In many cartridges and barrel twists, the accuracy difference between the two simply can't be detected. So unless you're gunning for one-hole groups or just demand the top of the line, the Match Grade barrel is your best choice for many forms of competitive shooting and for hunting varmints and big game. The Match Grade is completely stress relieved and fully warranted. The price of Match Grade stainless steel barrels includes hand lapping to a beautifully smooth surface. Chrome-moly can be lapped to a similar finish at an additional charge.

Both are available in all calibers, twists and contours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shilens are ok, but they are not on par with the krieger/bartlein/obermeyer/etc. barrels IMHO.

You forgot Rock! </div></div>

And Broughton
smile.gif

If the copper fouling does not improve over time, you can shoot Tubb's final finish through it to smooth out the bore a bit. [/quote]

If fire lapping is required why not just pour sand in the bore & shoot the rifle!!!!!!!!!

Skeetlee and bloody tailgate should get a good gunsmith that utilizes a hawkeye....and maybe quit having suppliers blow smoke up their ASSES......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skeetlee and bloody tailgate should get a good gunsmith that utilizes a hawkeye....and maybe quit having suppliers blow smoke up their ASSES......

</div></div>

What?? Who's blowing smoke up my ass? I HAVE ONE and it is smooth as silk. I don't need a smith to tell me that there is no copper fouling. Listen, I'm not saying that Shilen is the best producer out there, I was simply giving him information about my personal experience. And FYI a very well known gunsmith built my rifle and I couldn't be happier with the way it shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the copper fouling does not improve over time, you can shoot Tubb's final finish through it to smooth out the bore a bit. </div></div>

If fire lapping is required why not just pour sand in the bore & shoot the rifle!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

Speaking from experiance "again" Dan? Or do you enjoy talking trash about well established products that actually work?

geez, you guys can't figure out what etc. means? you're a bright bunch! haha, kidding...

seriously though, i wasn't ragging on shillen, i was just saying they are more like a "middle ground" between OEM & high-end custom barrel makers.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again. ALOT depends on the smithing done to it. Anybody worth their salt would look down the tube before they chuck it up and screw it on.

i'm with you on the fire lapping USMCj, it should be right when the factory lapps it, or it should be re-lapped or replaced. firing abrasive shit down my barrel scares me by design. You're supposed to protect it from grit, not put more shit in it.

I have 4 Shilens, with one being a CM. Two of the Stainless hvy barrels shoot fantastic and the other and the chrome moly barrel are on par with factory barrels. The CM barrel is actually chambered in 222 so that was a real disappointment.

Luck of the draw, I suppose.

I re-barrelled my R700 recently with a CM match grade Shilen in 308. I'm shooting solid copper 163's and BH match 175's with no sign of any copper fouling. Now, the bullets and the bore are moly'd; this certainly helps.

so is a little copper fowling from a custom barrel normal or not? Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the copper fouling does not improve over time, you can shoot Tubb's final finish through it to smooth out the bore a bit. </div></div>

If fire lapping is required why not just pour sand in the bore & shoot the rifle!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Speaking from experiance "again" Dan? Or do you enjoy talking trash about well established products that actually work? [/quote]
You need to look inside of your fire lapped bore with a scope to speak from experience!!!
If you have to consider fire lapping a Bbl,spin it off & use it for a tent stake.
From experience,clean up the leade & your copper fouling will disappear in a cut barrel.
From experience,I won't waste time/money on buttoned barrels.

Allright, I had a barrel like that. Shoot it, it shot good. Never worried about it so I just cleaned it normally (ever 300-500 rounds). Good shooting barrel too.

skeetlee,

Your barrel will be fine! It will smooth out for sure after about 80 to 100 rounds probably even less. I have a Rockcreek 5R barrel that copper fouled until about 70-80 rounds and then it just barely copper fouled at all after that. That same barrel has over 6000 rounds on it now and can still shoot in the .2's when i can get my head out of my a** and use the right technique.

-shadow4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From experience,I won't waste time/money on buttoned barrels.</div></div>

Come on Dan theres alot go really good manufactures of button barrels out there that clean easier and shoot just as good or better than cut rifled barrels.
smile.gif

Both of my Broughton clean extremly easy. Ive never had a problem with either of them. Hell most of the time I run a wet patch of oil down the barrel just to get the powder residue out of the bore. Then every 3rd time I shoot it ill really clean it good. However when I shoot them I typically dont shoot over 20rounds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the copper fouling does not improve over time, you can shoot Tubb's final finish through it to smooth out the bore a bit. </div></div>

If fire lapping is required why not just pour sand in the bore & shoot the rifle!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Speaking from experiance "again" Dan? Or do you enjoy talking trash about well established products that actually work? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to look inside of your fire lapped bore with a scope to speak from experience!!!
If you have to consider fire lapping a Bbl,spin it off & use it for a tent stake.
From experience,clean up the leade & your copper fouling will disappear in a cut barrel.
From experience,I won't waste time/money on buttoned barrels. </div></div>

You keep calling Tubbs FF fire lapping, do you even know the difference between the 2 or do you like running your gums on every subject like a know it all?

lets keep count of how many products you think suck,

Tubbs Final Finish
Timney triggers
Tubbs quicklock firing pins

all 3 of those products do their job as advertised, yet you think they are junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is a little copper fowling from a custom barrel normal or not? Lee </div></div>

I have yet to see any barrel, custom or otherwise, that has NO traces of copper. And yes I use a bore scope. Looking at the muzzle with your eye will tell you nothing.

If the rifle shoots and does so to your satisfaction, who cares if it has copper?

I don't clean my barrels either until accuracy drops off. .308 Bartlein barrel has over 500 rounds since last cleaning. Carbon fouling will kill your accuracy long before the copper ever will. Just shoot it and stop worrying about cleaning the darn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the copper fouling does not improve over time, you can shoot Tubb's final finish through it to smooth out the bore a bit. </div></div>

Speaking from experiance "again" Dan? Or do you enjoy talking trash about well established products that actually work? </div></div>
You need to look inside of your fire lapped bore with a scope to speak from experience!!!
From experience,I won't waste time/money on buttoned barrels. </div></div>

You keep calling Tubbs FF fire lapping, do you even know the difference between the 2 or do you like running your gums on every subject like a know it all?

lets keep count of how many products you think suck,

Tubbs Final Finish
Timney triggers
Tubbs quicklock firing pins

all 3 of those products do their job as advertised, yet you think they are junk. </div></div>

Spoken from some one that doesn't know a flat base from a boat tailed bullet.
If Final Finish isn't fire lapping-
What is it??
Cast bullets with Texas Bullshit in the grooves??
Timney's-Notice how sloppy they fit in receivers for awesome trigger/sear repeatability-Yeah Right.
Ti/Al F/Pin w/ 40Lb spring isn't the answer for 700/Clones.
CRF actions- every second of lock time matters-it's your money

I have 2 Timneys and they fit the reciever just fine, not "sloppy" at all. Let me know the next time you are in California, Ill let you inspect my rifles and see if you think my triggers are sloppy.

So to you, shooting bullets covered with lapping compound is the same as shooting abrasive bullets that are finer than the lapping compound used to lap barrels?

If a lighter F Pin and better spring are not the answer, then please do enlighten us, what is?

O my god! Stop shitting on this mans thread and show some respect! Get each others number and talk shit....... Damn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is a little copper fowling from a custom barrel normal or not? Lee </div></div>

Why wouldn't it be?

Just shoot the fucking thing. Quite worrying about every small thing Lee.

I have one Shilen on an AR15 and it shoots lights out, I bet yours will do the same when you do some load development.

I don't sweat the small things.

I have been using Shilen barrels for years and haven't had much issue with them. If you think you need to smooth up your barrel, try Isso Gunbrite. This is a lapping compound used by many custom barrel manufacturers to lap the barrel. Just get a jag, patch, bore guide and rod, smear a little on the patch and 30 strokes later you should be good to go. After lapping clean as you normally would. Don't use it to clean regularly as it is pretty aggressive. I really don't pay that much attention to copper fouling, I am more worried about carbon or powder residue.

Just making conversation there super seal, sorry to offend you. Maybe you are having a bad week? They make pills for that!! My krieger has zero copper, thus the reason i ask. these are my first two custom barrels. I will make sure i check with you first next time before i try to educate my self a bit. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just making conversation there super seal, sorry to offend you. Maybe you are having a bad week? They make pills for that!! My krieger has zero copper, thus the reason i ask. these are my first two custom barrels. I will make sure i check with you first next time before i try to educate my self a bit. Lee </div></div>

I'm just sick of reading your pointless posts after post, that's all. I try to avoid them, but they still lure in me.
crazy.gif

I get a little blue with the foam in my schneider barrel. Patch it out and a few with Kroil and it's time for drinks. World of difference from my stock remington barrel, I think that #$%^ thing is made of copper.

I like the guys that make just one barrel...if it doesnt meet the specs they see fit as "match" quality they scrap it instead of selling it off as a lesser grade barrel to someone trying to save a few bucks.

super seal I forgot how much better you are than the rest of us! Seems to me like 31 other people on here didnt mind the post. Since you are better than the rest of us here, please refrain from my subjects. There must be some where you can go since your so much above the rest of us little folk!! Lee

Please guys, cant's we alls just gets along (to be read in the voice of Al Sharpton).

No issues with them at all. I wouldn't rank them at the bottom of the list by any means.

I only have a little exp w/Shilen tubes, and I never sweated the copper. Rifle shot better than I do.
I have a Douglas and a Rock now. Both shoot better than I do.

I gave up on scrubbing quite a while ago.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So to you, shooting bullets covered with lapping compound is the same as shooting abrasive bullets that are finer than the lapping compound used to lap barrels?
</div></div>

So how is Tubb's final Finish not fire lapping?

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please guys, cant's we alls just gets along (to be read in the voice of Al Sharpton). </div></div>

That was Rodney King not Sharpton's qoute...Your from Californey and you don't know that
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please guys, cant's we alls just gets along (to be read in the voice of Al Sharpton). </div></div>

That was Rodney King not Sharpton's qoute...Your from Californey and you don't know that
grin.gif
</div></div>

I knows dat, but i likes Reverend Al's American accent better.
laugh.gif

I would'nt worry about a little fouling. You may have to clean it more often is all. I would be more concerned on how well it shoots. Guys, I have had more barrels than probably most of you on here. I have used Douglas, Hart, Pac Nor, Kreiger,Lilja and Shilen an have a Bartlein on order.

I have found that they all make good barrels but sometimes you can get a turd. Usually with Kreiger an Hart they only make one grade of barrels where Douglas and Shilen an a few others make different grades. Thats not to say they don't shoot good its just that they aren't up to benchrest specs.

I have a Shilen on my M40 repro an its a cheaper CM ($145 on sale out of Midway) an it shoots .5 moa all day long.

Barrels are like women, some are really hot an some are the shits!!!!

Shilen does not lap there CM barrels unless you pay extra but all the stainless barrels are lapped select or match. So if your barrel is CM it is going to leave copper untill it smoothes out.

James