• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Shorty-ish, Long Range-ish, Lightweight-ish Hunting Rifle

Burdy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2013
    Going to try it out on some night time hog hunting next weekend.
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181207155832538_COVER_2 (1).jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181207155709903_COVER (1).jpg
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181207160321394.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181207155424142_COVER_3 (1).jpg

Last edited:
    I think I want one of those for the same reason.
    Care to share some build specs?
    Bergara Premier Barreled action w/ Triggertech trigger (pulled from HMR Pro)
    16-ish inch barrel 6.5 CM
    XLR Carbon Chassis
    Nightforce Magmount with RAP
    Dead Air Sandman K Suppressor
    Bushnell Elite 4.5-18 LRHS
    Atlas Bipod

Reactions: niteshooter
    Glad you posted this. I've got a Carbon chassis headed my way. Picked it up in a trade from another hide member. Your barrel looks sweet being just past the handguard. Looks super sleek with the suppressor. Well done!

Reactions: Burdy
    I am getting the funds together for a build almost identical what kind of speed are you getting

Reactions: Burdy
    I am getting the funds together for a build almost identical what kind of speed are you getting

Don't know yet, I'll be running the Chrono next weekend. Had good success with the 129 grain Browning BXR in my old 22" HMR at about 2820.

Going to try those first. I'll also run some 143 ELD-X and maybe some Hornady SST. I'll let you know week after next.

What’s the weight on that?

If I can remember I'll weigh it the morning without the bipod and laser.

Don't know yet, I'll be running the Chrono next weekend. Had good success with the 129 grain Browning BXR in my old 22" HMR at about 2820.

Going to try those first. I'll also run some 143 ELD-X and maybe some Hornady SST. I'll let you know week after next.

If I can remember I'll weigh it the morning without the bipod and laser.
    Do not waste your time with the SST. ELD-X is a solid performer.

I am going to run 130RDFs when I finally get the funds together it will be interesting to see what the 143 is running. Me and a friend bought a box to try when they first came out and that was the only bullet that I did not matter how much powder you put in the case it shot good

Do not waste your time with the SST. ELD-X is a solid performer.
    Can you elaborate a bit? I'm looking for a great performing hunting round so just making sure our use cases are aligned. Thanks.

Can you elaborate a bit? I'm looking for a great performing hunting round so just making sure our use cases are aligned. Thanks.

I hog hunt with SSTs and they work just fine.

I was speaking more from a precision stand point about the SST. It's consistency to stay sub one inch groups at 100 m has been disappointing.
    6.5 cm Surgeon 24'' GAP Build
    7.62 win Surgeon 18'' OTM Build
    6.5 cm Stiller 20'' AO Build

ELD-X 143gr: Best off the shelf round I have found.

I was speaking more from a precision stand point about the SST. It's consistency to stay sub one inch groups at 100 m has been disappointing.
    6.5 cm Surgeon 24'' GAP Build
    7.62 win Surgeon 18'' OTM Build
    6.5 cm Stiller 20'' AO Build

ELD-X 143gr: Best off the shelf round I have found.
    Gotcha. Thank you. Hopefully I'll have some good success running the 129 BXR again as I'd like to get some velocity back.

What’s the weight on that?
    11 lb 2 ounces as it sits in the picture with no bipod, or laser. Which means the removal of handstop, the laser mount and the removal of the small NV pic rail piece should get you at about 10.5 lbs.

Browning 129 BXR = 2534 FPS @ 60 degrees
    143 ELD-X = 2414 @ 58 degrees

The 143 is about 100 fps lower than I expected and the 129's about 150 fps lower

These were the first 15 rounds chronod with the gun.

It should speed up after a 100 or so rounds, I was guessing a 130 around 2650

Enough talk, now go flatline some piggies and post some postmortem pics ?
    Blanked out. Me and 3 of my buddies killed 22 last year, but they rotated the peanut fields out for cotton this year and it made for a tougher hunt. I did get to use the gun with the M2124LR on some steel at night and the PEQ-15 mount worked out wonderfully. I now want a top rail on all my rifles that pull nighttime duty.

This thread makes me anxious to get my RPR in 6 creed that Im having made like this.

Luth mba-2 stock. 11.2 oz
    Form 3d Tidal grip (1.3 oz including hardware).
    Brigand arms blade 15inch handguard. 5.01 oz.
    16 inch barrel length. unsure of weight still at gunsmith.

Probably going to top with Eotech Vudu 5-25 to keep as light as possible.

This thread makes me anxious to get my RPR in 6 creed that Im having made like this.

Luth mba-2 stock. 11.2 oz
    Form 3d Tidal grip (1.3 oz including hardware).
    Brigand arms blade 15inch handguard. 5.01 oz.
    16 inch barrel length. unsure of weight still at gunsmith.

Probably going to top with Eotech Vudu 5-25 to keep as light as possible.
    I have 4 of the Vudu 5-25s and one almost went on top of this rifle. I just like the G2H reticle better for movers.

Very nice build. Mine is not a carbon copy but I also recently went down the shorty/carbon/Bushy 4.5-18/6.5 creed route. I'm still waiting to blood this, hopefully in the next few weeks. Will be feeding it 147gr ELDM's

75898E77-C2F3-4C93-8A2C-23B91A05AC28.jpeg

Reactions: lou400a
    Very nice build. Mine is not a carbon copy but I also recently went down the shorty/carbon/Bushy 4.5-18/6.5 creed route. I'm still waiting to blood this, hopefully in the next few weeks. Will be feeding it 147gr ELDM's

View attachment 6988138
    I like that. I would have gone that route if I didn't want to run NV. The chassis systems just make it easier for that. How much does this one weigh?

How do you like that stock? Is it pretty solid or hollow?
    I like it a lot. It's as rigid as any of my manners stocks and it is genuinely superlight at 1.3lbs. The ergos are great. Here's a short video somone made:

I don't consider 10.5# "lightish" in any sense! Very cool rifle though.

I don't consider 10.5# "lightish" in any sense! Very cool rifle though.
    Touche'
    However, its all relative. It is fairly light for a gun with all its capabilities. I would say most chassis, NV capable, adjustable LOP/Comb guns weigh between 12.5-15lbs with optic. I would have like to have seen just under 10 lbs and I may try to get there with a different scope/mount combo and maybe removing the brake and going direct thread with my Nomad or Sandman Ti. Going to wait until after SHOT for any firearms related buying decisions so we will see.