• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My Snipershide trade rifle Pics added

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
I traded dontstrokeme for the 700 SPS in 223.
I traded chpprguy for the 223 varmint barrel.
Got the stock from SgtHenry the super sniper optic, rings and base from another site, the bottom metal from Austan.

My dad and I spent several hours together and I learned a lot. We removed the pencil SPS barrel, squared and trued the shoulder on the heavy barrel cut it back to 20.25 from the front of the recoil lug with an 11 degree stepped target crown. Trued the front of the action and recoil lugs inside the action and on the bolt. In setting the barrel back the chamber needed to be reamed, I did not want to make the investment in go-no-go's or a finish reamer so SgtHenry had a friend that owed him a favor set the head space for me. I tuned the factory trigger to right at 2lbs. While the rifle was in the white I carried it out and shot it with very good results, good enough that I went ahead and coatedthe barrel and action with Brownells OD Green Gunkote and the bolt in matte black I will post some target pics later but for now here is a pic of the finished rifle.
223001.jpg

Let me start by stating the obvious my shooting sucks. Today was one of those "I shoulda cut grass" days.
Anyhow these are all five round groups, if you can call them that (nothing to be proud of). The center group was Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, if I had not finge diddled the trigger it would have been one ragged hole. I learned two things 1. I will never buy or use a wal mart bipod 2. Once you get used to good glass it is hard to go backwards.
The rifle shoots better than I do.
223.jpg

I plan on putting this in my AICS and seeing what kind of groups I can get the LOP is about 1.5" too short for me on this stock.

Re: My Snipershide trade rifle

Very nice rifle and a great story. It had to be really satisfying to see the progression your your rifle. I know it was for me. It makes a guy get really attached to the stick. I'm looking forward to the range report.

Cheers.

Glad it's a shooter!
when you get time, post some pics of the groups...
That vest is awesome BTW, I can stuff all kinds of crap in it...
thanks again!
Andy

Looks nice. I think you may be surprised with the results. I have home-cobbled a couple of sticks like you have and have been happy and surprised.

Great way to learn a thing or three about how a rifle goes together.

david

One mans trash is another mans treasure..... there is a lot of truth to that, there is no better feeling than swapping something you do not want or need for something that you do.

chpprguy- that barrel was clean inside and shoots factory remington 55gr fmj unbelievably well, glad the vest fits you and your needs. How is the ruger 7 mag project coming along?

There is definitely more to it than just making chips!

My buddy bought a Rem 7 mag hunter (wood and blue)
wants to turn the Ruger into a "varmint gun"
I laughed, and said "sure...... we can do that"
a 7 mag varmint rifle.....
wink.gif

Sweet!!! No pics at work but I will have to get pics of my build with the trade fodder up too!!!

As said above, nothing is better than trading for all the stuff you want. Did the same for my M40 action. Both of us were happy and both made out. You can't be upset if you get something you want even if its not cash.