• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Solutions to setting up your Ballistic Computer

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    We have had a ton of discussion regarding the various ballistic computers. And there are some basic elements they all need in order for them to work correctly. On top of that, we have a lot of systems that get updated and changed so people may or may not have continuous access to their information.

I am huge fan of Ballistic Computers but I am also of the opinion they distract too many shooters who don't understand the shooting part, and instead focus on the computer portion. It's an App, it's on our phone, it sit right next to the games we play on them. On top of that you never see people with databooks anymore. In some cases I am preaching to the choir, but in other cases, guys just default to the phone and pay very little attention to the details

My method of setting up software involves coming to the software after the fact. First I set up and dope my rifle. I zero it, I chronograph it, I take it from 200 yards to distance recording all my drops. These details include the atmospheric details for the day. All the same stuff you would have included in your databook before the use of ballistic computers. To others with this, I created a new databook page.

SH_BallisticData_Sheetv1.png

I will be working with Tony at Impact Databooks to include this page and plan on using it during my classes so students will have everyone on one page.

Using this page at the range will allow you to match the computer to your data, because we all know we cannot match the rifle system to the computer.

Station Pressure I think needs to be renamed for shooting to Shooter Pressure. I still get guys questioning my Barometric Pressure of 25.25. They think it is impossible for me to have a pressure reading that low. They want to default to the same barometric pressure the weatherman uses vs using Absolute or Station Pressure. I did not include standard altitude for this sheet, only Density Altitude as many us DA for their Apps. They should get used to using Station Pressure vs Barometric Pressure, but that is another post.

You can print this sheet, and eventually it will available through Impact Databooks.

Reactions: MilDot1960
    Frank, could you elaborate on the station vs shooter pressure issue?

I am like you state in your post: would focus on the ballistics program over anything else. Now that I'm able to get past 600 and out to 1300 I'm trying to back up and focus on the basics again like you advocate for (and to really understand their impact on the bullet) vs just plugging in some numbers and shooting. Thanks.

I am like you state in your post: would focus on the ballistics program over anything else. Now that I'm able to get past 600 and out to 1300 I'm trying to back up and focus on the basics again like you advocate for (and to really understand their impact on the bullet) vs just plugging in some numbers and shooting. Thanks.

Atmospheric pressure comes in two flavors, which we will refer to as station pressure and barometric pressure. Station pressure refers to the absolute atmospheric pressure at the measurement point.

Barometric pressure refers to the atmospheric pressure reported as if the reporting station is at sea level, irrespective of its actual altitude. This is the kind of pressure reported by the National Weather Service and other weather reporting agencies and services. This is done so that people will have a common reference for the pressure.

If you live at or near sea level, as I do, barometric pressure and station pressure are the same. It’s only at altitudes higher than sea level that the difference becomes significant.

Ballistic solvers use station pressure. The kestrel provides station pressures but also can provide barometric pressure if you enter an altitude

Reactions: Jrs9898
    What Nik said,

This confuses a lot of people, shooters should be using Station Pressure. In most apps it is listed as Absolute Pressure and gives you that option to check the box, or slide the switch to turn off the altitude setting. In past guys would use Absolute Pressure and at the same time they would use the actual Altitude. This was later fixed by including the option to remove the altitude or gray it out so you could not make this mistake.

Here in CO, my range is at 4500ft above sea level, that means my Station Pressure (Shooter Pressure) is 25.25 give or take on a normal day. If you use both the computer would mistakenly think I was at 10,000 ft vs 4500ft. If you use 29.92, sea level barometric pressure, you then need to include 4500ft altitude so the computer knows our air is less dense.

Two choices as stated above,

We have had a ton of discussion regarding the various ballistic computers. And there are some basic elements they all need in order for them to work correctly. On top of that, we have a lot of systems that get updated and changed so people may or may not have continuous access to their information.

I am huge fan of Ballistic Computers but I am also of the opinion they distract too many shooters who don't understand the shooting part, and instead focus on the computer portion. It's an App, it's on our phone, it sit right next to the games we play on them. On top of that you never see people with databooks anymore. In some cases I am preaching to the choir, but in other cases, guys just default to the phone and pay very little attention to the details

My method of setting up software involves coming to the software after the fact. First I set up and dope my rifle. I zero it, I chronograph it, I take it from 200 yards to distance recording all my drops. These details include the atmospheric details for the day. All the same stuff you would have included in your databook before the use of ballistic computers. To others with this, I created a new databook page.

I will be working with Tony at Impact Databooks to include this page and plan on using it during my classes so students will have everyone on one page.

Using this page at the range will allow you to match the computer to your data, because we all know we cannot match the rifle system to the computer.

Station Pressure I think needs to be renamed for shooting to Shooter Pressure. I still get guys questioning my Barometric Pressure of 25.25. They think it is impossible for me to have a pressure reading that low. They want to default to the same barometric pressure the weatherman uses vs using Absolute or Station Pressure. I did not include standard altitude for this sheet, only Density Altitude as many us DA for their Apps. They should get used to using Station Pressure vs Barometric Pressure, but that is another post.

You can print this sheet, and eventually it will available through Impact Databooks.

you could rename to just pressure and then next to it have an A (absolute) or a B (Barometric) then the user circles which one they used. in your sheet, i assume Azmuth = DOF?

when Tony does it it will look slightly different, he can add in that stuff,

we are gonna add in the wind block and things you find in most of the databook pages,

Last edited:
    As Frank was saying it easy to get lost in the software I have been run FFS for about 4 years and was having issues with my come up's after talking with Blaine fields I think the issues have been resolved.Most of my issue was my misunderstanding some of the imputes and how the work and not using all the program features. For me barometric pressure is one issue and Blaine also explained how the program true zero works and how important height of the scope over the bore is. When I go shoot I record every shot compare to what FFS calls for and what the POI was then I keep a log for each caliber.

Frank, since you are listing some bullet's data why not to add BC ? Just for the sake of completeness.

I like this page. I still do use my data book, though not as much as I used to. I still tell newer shooters that they need to record their shots too. Too many are just out there flinging lead at distance and making an impact or so, then they go around all feeling great like they could do it again on command.

I'll add this one to the pages I've used for years and the ones that I have modified for my use.

Atmospheric pressure comes in two flavors, which we will refer to as station pressure and barometric pressure. Station pressure refers to the absolute atmospheric pressure at the measurement point.

Barometric pressure refers to the atmospheric pressure reported as if the reporting station is at sea level, irrespective of its actual altitude. This is the kind of pressure reported by the National Weather Service and other weather reporting agencies and services. This is done so that people will have a common reference for the pressure.

If you live at or near sea level, as I do, barometric pressure and station pressure are the same. It’s only at altitudes higher than sea level that the difference becomes significant.

Ballistic solvers use station pressure. The kestrel provides station pressures but also can provide barometric pressure if you enter an altitude

Thank you for that, makes perfect sense!

This is good. My team recently started using the AB app. We're still data book heavy but with us using the app more and more this will be good for them to use.

Great sheets Frank. Any idea when Impact Data Books will have these sheets available?

Just to complement what NikH already posted about

https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/understanding-pressure-altitud-and-density-altitude

Great sheets Frank. Any idea when Impact Data Books will have these sheets available?

Impact Databooks, Aka Tony Glaze is the King,

This came across last night, it's 99%,

ballistic page .jpg

Removing "Caliber" as we already have bullet diameter, so just BC will be there.

Guys, this is why we work with Impact Databooks, Tony is so far on top of it, you have no idea how much I feed people and nothing gets down. On the other hand, you have Tony, I messaged him over the weekend, page is just about finished

should have suggested sooner, think it went to print, just scribble it out

plus i think people are too lazy, this was not meant as an everyday card

Sorry just saw it... But Got it, Nice clean look

I Gota say.. People are super lucky to have your help here.. Thanks for what you do

Last edited:
    Reactions: SauerJ67
    I like the new data page. But unfortunately I don't have access to large flat areas where I can set up tgts every 100 yds. 500 yds maybe but anything farther it has to be across valleys etc where angles always come into play. Then there's up/down drafts. Any possibility of getting angles/wind calls included on the tgt lines?
    Any advise on setting up & truing with these variables?

I like the new data page. But unfortunately I don't have access to large flat areas where I can set up tgts every 100 yds. 500 yds maybe but anything farther it has to be across valleys etc where angles always come into play. Then there's up/down drafts. Any possibility of getting angles/wind calls included on the tgt lines?
    Any advise on setting up & truing with these variables?

You can always just use the notes area to mark your angle.

Use either MOA or MIl if you use put the angle in the other, this is help you true your software, it's not something to use everytime you hit the range or shoot.

You take this back to true,

With all those conditions, you have no way of knowing if the wind was pushing the bullet or what not, your data is not exactly "True" it's conditional

Is this available from Impact Data books? I looked through Tony’s site but I didn’t see it.

View attachment 6849153

Thats all true Frank, I love the aiming and shooting part best but you are right because I don't use DA because I like playing with the App and putting in the individual measurements my self, But with that sheet I would like to see 2 vertical columns for yardage/meters ( Y-M ) and a drop column in inches/CM ( IN-CM ) .

thanks for the wakeup call, We do tend to get lazy,

John.

Last edited:
    First, thanks Frank for all that you do to advance the science and sport of precision shooting. I am eating up all episodes of The Everyday Sniper, playing some of them over 2-3 times to capture all of the wisdom. In the result, I yesterday purchased the desktop version of CB. I'm reading the manual and playing with it today. This leads to a (noob) question:

I am interested in printing out range cards to augment and backup my Kestrel 5700AB. And so I am looking for the information to dial my firing solutions into my Mil S+B turrets. Once I put all of my data parameters into a track, I move to the Results 1 tab and I gather that the "path MRAD" column will contain that dialing solution. However, at 500M (my typical distance when on my range) the numbers are listed as a negative. The Glossary tells me that this is because it is indicating the PATH of the bullet (which makes sense). But I am more specifically looking for my DIALING SOLUTION.

Put more simply - is a mil dialing solution, suitable for printing on my range card, available in the CB desktop version? And if so, how do I find it? :)

Apologies if this is an overly noob question, but I am just getting started with CB and am a bit overwhelmed by all of the information available.

Thank you again Frank for your efforts and your knowledge. It is inspiring to listen to your podcasts; it feels like I am sitting in a graduate school lecture learning from one of the masters. Please keep the information flowing!!!

So while I tweek my solver, barometric thing has not settled in my head yet.
    Barometric and altitude or station and altitude, my favorite is sniper-pro.

I have a problem with my range book.
    I'm putting a new one together and this one is special to me.
    It was given to me by my son that served at one point 18 months in Irac at a high value detainees facility.
    It replaced Abu Grabie, (sp?) You know the new hole in the fence.
    Curiosily my other son did extractions and delivered some (people) there at some point not the same time.
    Not one data book I have found spirals at the top will fit my rig.
    Has anyone seen one?
    20180310_004033.jpg

Attachments

• 20180310_004206.jpg
      20180310_004206.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 96